300 - 600 Calorie Daily Intake

Options

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest it. It's just not enough. And particularly with Ramadan falling in the summer with the long hot days, I don't think it will be good for you.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about while doing Ramadan is that you are not actually going to lose weight and keep it off. When you starve your body everything you eat is stored as fat so yeah maybe a week or so you will drop weight but eventually our bodies adapt. It is incredible what our bodies do! So after your body adapts, it will store even the healthiest foods as fat because your depriving it. Having a such low calorie intake increases your chances for binge eating and indulging so then you will gain more weight. Which will be counterproductive because you want to fast for Ramadan. This is how sumo-wrestlers get so big, they do it a bit differently, but it is the same concept.

I am here for support if you want to add me =)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Before everyone jumps off a bridge, remember she said this was for the religious observation of Ramadan where fasting is required.

I think that the shakes are a good idea because you will be getting nutrition from them; however, I would suggest slightly more calories to help you to sustain during this period; at least 1000-1200 daily. Also, remember that you will not be able to exercise in a moderate amount because your body will not have enough fuel for the workout. It would be wise to incorporate daily walking, but nothing extensive. Good luck!
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did something like this last year...I would consume about 2 gallons of water a day and eat one large chicken breast in the evening after my workouts. I Lost 69 lbs in 60 days. I was around 310 at the time and ended about 240. I have to add though, every 10 lbs lost i treated myself to a good meal. which averaged out to about every 8 days or so.

I also ran like crazy, was doing swim training and cycling, burning crazy amounts of calories.

When i got to my goal weight, i went back to eating normal.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I really think this is a question to ask your doctor.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If this is what religion wants from us........no thank you. Not smart on two counts.....eating too little, and listening to a bunch of crusty old misogynists.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Okay so unlike 80% of the responses I actually looked up the details on Ramadan (TO THE GOOGLES). I knew it was a month long fast but I had no idea of the deets.

So basically, there is no problem here, and no need to eat so little. You can and will be basically doing intermittent fasting, your fast lasting from dawn till dusk and then afterward you can eat. As someone else said meal frequency does not matter at all, and I actually practice intermittent fasting. The only difference is your fast period lasts a bit longer.

Peruse my diary and you get the idea. Basically between 2:00pm and 9:00pm I eat, after that, while I sleep, during the morning (I get up at 5:00 or earlier most days) and first chunk of the day I am fasted, even train fasted. You'll be fine.

You do not need to eat so little, which is what most people were zeroing in on and screaming like idiots., but I just think you overthought this.

Now one question (cuz I skimmed) are there restrictions on what you can eat? I was in Sudan for a bit during Ramadan and I remember lots of effing goat being cooked (was so delicious).

PS you can look up info on IF here: www.leangains.com but keep in mind you are talking about a much longer fasting window. Can still be done but you need to eat like a crazy person after dusk...nom sayin?
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If this is what religion wants from us........no thank you. Not smart on two counts.....eating too little, and listening to a bunch of crusty old misogynists.

It doesn't say eat 300-600 calories before sunrise and after sunset - That is her idea.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

This is ignorant. There is such a thing as Google to look up things you are not familiar with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan
    Ramadan (Arabic: رمضان‎ Ramaḍān, IPA: [rɑmɑˈdˤɑːn]; variations Persian: Ramazan‎; Urdu: Ramzān; Turkish: Ramazan) is the ninth month of the lunar Islamic calendar, which lasts 29 or 30 days according to the visual sightings of the crescent moon according to numerous authenticated (Sahih) Hadiths.[2][3][4] It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which Muslims hoping for reward from Allah will -- only from dawn until dusk -- refrain from eating & drinking, sexual relations, forged speech & evil actions,[5] such as fighting and quarreling,[6] and increased recitation of the Qu'ran.[7] The benefits of fasting are many, but in this month, they are amplified.[8][9] Muslims fast in this month for the sake of demonstrating submission to God (Arabic: الله‎, trans: Allah)[10] and to offer more prayer than usual, as was the tradition of Muhammad

ETA: I don't think you should eat that little though, I am just defending the practice of fasting during particular hours. Try to get your 1200 calories anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • thenewmrsfitz
    Options
    A few years ago I did a Very Low Calorie Diet i.e. 500cals worth of shake a day for 100 days. I needed the push to loose a load of weight in a short time.I was desperate and was supervised by medical professionals.I didn't last the full 100 days but nearly that long and lost loads of weight about 25kg's. Once I had done the first three days I no longer felt hungry as my body had gone into ketosis - fat burning.

Now the downside... it totally took over my life, someone mentioned bad breath yup it happens get some god mouth spray as gum makes you hungry,I had NO energy, restricting your food really brings emotional attachment and issues to the front of your mind. I had Cognitive therapy during this time to help me deal with these issues and change my attitudes towards food.You have to start introducing food carefully, I have kept my weight off and had to redevelop my metabolism. My sister on the other hand did the same diet and gained her weight back SUPER quick but made no life changes post shakes.

I wouldn't try a diet like this by yourself get some medical support ... its not a sustainable way to live but does help in the short term

Send me a message if you have any specific questions
    x
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Off topic but I'm floored at the number of people who don't know what Ramadan is. :noway:
  • jsanspree
    jsanspree Posts: 3
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode and start to store fat. Your metabolism will slow down dramatically to help your body do so. There are also other risks, including loss of hair, brittle nails, anemia, brittle bones, depression, and many more. Calorie intake that low is not safe and can have serious long-term effects on your health. The best method to staying fit and strong while losing weight is to eat many small meals (low in calories) throughout the day. Plus, lots of good exercise. This helps boost your metabolism and makes your body strong.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I found a site that may help you with food tips: http://www.islam101.com/ramadan/foodTips.htm
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Off topic but I'm floored at the number of people who don't know what Ramadan is. :noway:

Agreed - but more floored by the number of people who won't bother to just look it up. :huh:
  • chris1816
    Options

I'm floored by the number of people who can't even do a brief internet search to educate themselves for 5 minutes. I knew what Ramadan was but without the specifics (when they fasted exactly, etc). So just looked it up before I responded.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Before everyone jumps off a bridge, remember she said this was for the religious observation of Ramadan where fasting is required.

Ramadam means no food or fluids (other than water) between the hours of sunrise and dusk, it does not call for all out fasting at all. As soon as dusk falls Muslims will eat immediately (usually some bread) and then a huge meal (known as Iftar) is consumed to celebrate the end of the days fast. Anything can (and is!) eaten from then onwards before sunrise.

I think the OP is using Ramadam as an excuse to restrict her caloric intake in MHO.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Consuming so few calories per day for a month can possibly wreck havoc on your body. I am aware of some folks who've had success on the HTC diet which tends to restrict calories between 600-800 and doctor supervised, however they are eating during the day.

As I understand it for Ramadan, the fasting period is between sunrise and sunset. Once the sun is down, I thought you were allowed to eat as long as it doesn't fall under prohibited food/beverage?

You might be better off if you eat a late meal with a good mix of carbs, protein and fat to help carry you through the next morning/day. If you were awake early enough, then the shake might be a good option.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    300 - 600 calories a day is what I ate when I was diagnosed with an eating disorder that destroyed my health and metabolism in a rather horrible way.

So no, that's not okay.

You'll lose weight while you're doing it, sure, but the moment you return to normal eating your weight will pile on extremely quickly. I gained 30lbs in 4 months eating 1500 calories a day, simply because my metabolism was so ****ed up from eating so little previously.

Eat a substantial meal before and after dusk. There is no need to starve during Ramadan.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

This is ignorant. There is such a thing as Google to look up things you are not familiar with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan
    Ramadan (Arabic: رمضان‎ Ramaḍān, IPA: [rɑmɑˈdˤɑːn]; variations Persian: Ramazan‎; Urdu: Ramzān; Turkish: Ramazan) is the ninth month of the lunar Islamic calendar, which lasts 29 or 30 days according to the visual sightings of the crescent moon according to numerous authenticated (Sahih) Hadiths.[2][3][4] It is the Islamic month of fasting, in which Muslims hoping for reward from Allah will -- only from dawn until dusk -- refrain from eating & drinking, sexual relations, forged speech & evil actions,[5] such as fighting and quarreling,[6] and increased recitation of the Qu'ran.[7] The benefits of fasting are many, but in this month, they are amplified.[8][9] Muslims fast in this month for the sake of demonstrating submission to God (Arabic: الله‎, trans: Allah)[10] and to offer more prayer than usual, as was the tradition of Muhammad

ETA: I don't think you should eat that little though, I am just defending the practice of fasting during particular hours. Try to get your 1200 calories anyway. :flowerforyou:

No, I understand the fasting while the sun is up is part of her religion. What I don't understand, and think is silly is eating so little during the times eating is okay. There is no reason to eat so little after the sun goes down and before it comes up.

ETA - There is a post right before your post calling out my "ignorance" that clarifies.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode and start to store fat. Your metabolism will slow down dramatically to help your body do so. There are also other risks, including loss of hair, brittle nails, anemia, brittle bones, depression, and many more. Calorie intake that low is not safe and can have serious long-term effects on your health. The best method to staying fit and strong while losing weight is to eat many small meals (low in calories) throughout the day. Plus, lots of good exercise. This helps boost your metabolism and makes your body strong.

No no no no no no no no no no stop it no no no seriously stop wrong wrong wrong no no stop.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
This discussion has been closed.