Annoying statements made about area of residence

Options

Replies

• NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I tell people I'm from Alabama they say, "there aren't any black people there is there?"

Really people?????

I've never heard that one!

Oh yeah! I had one person ask me "aren't there only black people in Birmingham, Alabama but no where else?"

I mean seriously?? Do people think Alabamians are so racist we exhile all the non-white people to Birmingham??? Come on now...

Bizarre!

Seriously, I have never had anyone ask me either of those things. The only things that come to mind about states I've lived in is the "dry heat" comments and having to specify UPSTATE New York.

Although people ask me all the time if there were lions (or various other wild animals) in my village when I lived in Africa. I don't find those questions annoying though.
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Do you see people get shot all the time? (I'm from Detroit)
  • starringmelissa
    Options
    California: "Like do you know how to surf? Have you ever surfed to school"

I walked away without saying anything to the person who asked me this.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Iowa...Oh thats where they grow potatoes. Or Iowa do you eat anything other than corn?

Or "Do you live on a farm?" No I was born in the city. "They have cities in the middle of corn fields?" Yes believe it or not we are not all Children of the Corn.

I get that quite a bit too...Oh what it liek to live on a farm. then I tell them...cause I did live on a farm
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    Oh dear!

I'm from Miami.
    "Oh, you must love living on the beach! I heard it's awesome!!"
    Miami is actually a city. And Miami Beach is another. Miami has it's ghettos just like any other city.

"Omg that's where the zombies are"
    Ok, that was like one time. And the dude was just high. No, not on bath salts. On weed. Weed here, is just that good.

"All your teams suck"
    While I agree with most of this, we did just win a championship in basketball. Not a fan of the Miami Heat but at least not ALL the teams suck.

"You're from MIAMI?! You must be hispanic! Tell me something in Spanish"
    Facepalm.

And my fave:

"Omg so, you must be related to some crazy coke dealer or something right?! Can you get us the hookup on some good blow? Or entrances to Mansion? Or club seats to the Phins?"
    No. I am not related to Tony Montana and not everyone in Miami is or was a drug dealer at some point in their life. We actually have jobs, like everyone else. And yes, I can get you into Mansion and tickets to the football games. It's called the box office and slipping the bouncer at the door a hundred dollar bill if you're ugly *kitten* can't get in on your own.

Miami people are famously bad, bandwagon fans.
    If you ask them why they don't attend games "There's too much other stuff to do" This always cracked me up. Saturdays in the fall, are for football.

Omg YES! Miami is full of bandwagon fans! I'm not even a phins fan but I was friends with the niece of one of the owners and she use to get us tickets to the games or to go up to her box and we'd be like hell yeah, since we like football. I'd have to sit there and explain what was going on, and once I'd lose her and her other friends, they'd go back to texting, taking pics or asking about going into Liv after the game to catch celebrities. Smh!

Saturdays during the fall - I'm at the stadium. Tailgating with all my fellow UM fans, sitting in the student section and singing along to Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight :laugh: (Anybody who's been to a Hurricanes game knows the reference! :tongue:)
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    OMG! You're from Amityville? The town with the house that the movie was based on?
    Yes, Amityville is a real town.
    Yes, I have seen the famous house.
    Yes, people live there.
    No, it is not possessed!

actually that is pretty sweet
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Americans to me "Oh New Zealand is that in Europe?" or "Hmm is that part of Australia?" "Oh like Lord of the Rings"
    Grr
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You're from Buffalo?! Is it snowing up there?

No Jacka$$, It's July 11th...:explode:

so it's just flurries?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Try being from NJ... no I don't know Snooki
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Well where I am originally from has had a few names thrown at it over the years... like F*ckfax instead of Fairfax (VA). Or just generally speaking, it's referred to as NoVA (northern VA). Don't really care about the names because, honestly, I'm not a fan of Fairfax even though I'm from there, lol. There are better parts of VA that I'd rather be from!
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    When I moved from Texas to Italy and then would tell Italians I lived in Texas, they all assumed I knew George Bush. Or, "Oh, you're from Texas? Do you have a horse? And lots of guns?".
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I live in a town called Carol Stream. Everyone always asks me where Carol Stream (the body of water) is...it's named after a person, not a river!
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    British

It's not the questions, its their need to tell you about their or their friends vacation there 10 years ago.

Goes something like "Thats a cool accent British or Australian? Oh British, I went to Englandland once, we saw THE palace and THE cathedral and we saw all of Scotland. We met this guy called XXXXX he lived in XXXXX do you know him?"
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    "You don't look or sound Mexican"...really, should I be wearing a Sombrero and be 4 feet tall? To the rest of the world who doesn't know already...the majority of Mexicans are a Native American European mix. We range from being blonde hair blue eyes to very dark Native looking. I'm so tired of hearing this from people.
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    British

It's not the questions, its their need to tell you about their or their friends vacation there 10 years ago.

Goes something like "Thats a cool accent British or Australian? Oh British, I went to Englandland once, we saw THE palace and THE cathedral and we saw all of Scotland. We met this guy called XXXXX he lived in XXXXX do you know him?"
    Lol!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Carolina, and live in North Carolina.
    No, we're not all related. No, it's not the same as Virginia. No, we don't shoot guns as we drive down the street. Yes, it's an actual city. No, we don't keep our money in the still. No, I don't think your racism is funny or cool. No, I don't have the rebel flag or a gun rack on my car. No, I don't have a hunting license. Yes, I've eaten sushi.

... What do you mean you don't have Cheerwine in your town? Heck, NO, 'm not movin'! ;)
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everyone from MA is a Masshole.... Ok.. so, maybe this one has a bit of truth.. I am a Masshole relocated to NH lol

Ct only calls you Massholes cause the way you drive. We love you though

BTW people from Connecticut are not snobs and not all rich (trust me on that one)
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Idaho? Where's that exactly? What? No one learns these things in school anymore?
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when Jacksonville ALWAYS gets referred to as South Georgia! Look at a map people... it's friggin Florida! And NO, I have never seen a real live alligator!!

Ditto. And...."you must go to the beach ALL the time!" Yeah.............Jax is the largest city in land mass in the continental US. I live an hour and a half from the beach. I'm not there every day after work. *facepalm*

• ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's Illinois, no Illinoise ..... and no, I'm not from Chicago. I'm from Springfield, IL -- THE CAPITAL!
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when Jacksonville ALWAYS gets referred to as South Georgia! Look at a map people... it's friggin Florida! And NO, I have never seen a real live alligator!!

I KNOW RIGHT!! UGH!

But I have seen an alligator :) & Not in the zoo, in my retention pond LOL