"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip> Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. <snip>

+1
  • raystark
    Options
    man i love mayo and eat it by the gallonful.

fat is not bad. when will people stop being brainwashed into thinking it is?

+1
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    <snip> Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. <snip>

+1

Lollercoaster
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

this just isn't true. You can get fat on a no carb or low carb diet.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    When I was living over seas all the food made me sick so I lived off mayo, white bread, soda and chocolate. I felt like crap (obviously) but I lost 15 pounds in a month.

Being from the US I think the government messes with our food too much. Even our vegetables and fruit have 40% less nutrition than they did 15 years ago.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.

thing is, I don't much care about HFCS. it is sugar. I think my body knows what to do with it.
  • raystark
    Options

+1

Lollercoaster

I assume you aren't a Type 2 Diabetic like myself. :happy:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Well I hate mayo on principle. I have been avoiding it since I was old enough to make my own food requests. I think it is gross, but that's just me. Frankly, all those stories about people dropping mayo and soda and losing 40 pounds never applied to me. I've been eating the "right" foods for a while. Kicked my soda habit at age 12. .... and these all had absolutely no impact on my weight.
  • CheezPuff89
    CheezPuff89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    None of those food items by themselves will make you "fat". If you consume more calories than you expend you will gain weight, it's that simple. Mayo, deep dish pizza and all those other evil foods you mentioned, in my opinion are delicious and I eat them as often as I like as long as they fit into to my caloric goals. And on the occasions where they do not fit into my goals I don't worry too much about it. I simply refuse to stop living my life hostage to my weight and diet as long as I'm meeting my goals 90% of time the rest will take care of itself.

I think I might <3 you
  • Doreen0211
    Doreen0211 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.
    EXACTLY!!!!! Carbohydrates - any carbohydrates; fruit, bread, pasta, oatmeal, whole grain - are the issue. You can have some, but keep to no more than 100 grams per day. The thing is, your body actually needs fat (just stay away from the hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated stuff). Animal fats are fabulous for you. Coconut oil is amazingly healthy. Corn oil is poison. Stay focused on carbs and sugar.
  • Acg67
    Options

+1

Lollercoaster

Whether or not you have Type 2 doesn't make the statement you quoted any less idiotic
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.

thing is, I don't much care about HFCS. it is sugar. I think my body knows what to do with it.

Well HFCS is genetically modified. Are you sure your body knows what to do with it?
  • Doreen0211
    Options
    [/quote]
    fat is not bad. when will people stop being brainwashed into thinking it is?
    [/quote]

The problem is we've been brainwashed and conditioned to think this way for so long, it's hard for people to let go of the lies that have been fed to us. I even find myself doing it. I had a conversation with a friend a short time ago about oils and fats to cook with. When lard was mentioned, my initial thought was, "Oh, no! Not that fatty lard?!" But then I shook my head and thought, "Wait....it's actually really healthy to cook with."
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

The list just goes on.

Well HFCS is genetically modified. Are you sure your body knows what to do with it?

yup.

(ultimately, it comes from corn. same calories as table sugar -- made up of fructose and glucose -- in the same proportions. when it gets into your body, know what happens? same thing as with table sugar.)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It does irritate me that when I go to order a burger or something, I have to specifically say "no sauce" or "just a small amount of sauce" and they will still add sauce and TONS of it. I have witnessed this!
  • Doreen0211
    Options

+1

Lollercoaster

Whether or not you have Type 2 doesn't make the statement you quoted any less idiotic

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the quote is idiotic?
  • Acg67
    Options

+1

Lollercoaster

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the quote is idiotic?

By the same logic protein makes you fat because of the evil insulin. Also there's a little something called ASP...
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    This is false. Fat stimulates lipogenesis via the ASP pathway, even in the complete absence of insulin. This is a more critical pathway for fat metabolism than insulin... e.g. you can breed mice that are unable to produce lipoprotein lipase, the critical enzyme for insulin-based lipogenesis, and feed them a fatty diet, and THEY STILL GAIN FAT. If you breed them without the ability to product ASP, they are stillborn, as they are non-viable.

Please stop spreading misinformation... insulin does not make you fat, overeating makes you fat. Insulin is actually banned from sports as a performance enhancing drug, and is essential for building muscle.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This thread is completely full of fail. From the opening post, blaming restaurants for offering customers choices for the world's obesity epidemic, to the conflicting opinions presented as scientific fact, to advice to eat under BMR, to the bashinig of mayo because it's mostly fat and fat is the enemy!!!, and then - the last straw - the bashing of gravy on fries. Nine pages of this ****. **** this, I'm done with these forums.
  • Doreen0211
    Options
    This is false. Fat stimulates lipogenesis via the ASP pathway, even in the complete absence of insulin. This is a more critical pathway for fat metabolism than insulin... e.g. you can breed mice that are unable to produce lipoprotein lipase, the critical enzyme for insulin-based lipogenesis, and feed them a fatty diet, and THEY STILL GAIN FAT. If you breed them without the ability to product ASP, they are stillborn, as they are non-viable.

Please stop spreading misinformation... insulin does not make you fat, overeating makes you fat. Insulin is actually banned from sports as a performance enhancing drug, and is essential for building muscle.

You're right. Insulin does not make you fat. The information given did not refer to ingesting insulin, it's about what carbohydrates and sugar do to the insulin levels in your body.