Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Cheese and mayo are both gross.... just saying
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why would all of you who are making a "life style change to be HEALTHY" even think about eating this? Where is the nutritional value??

Mayonnaise
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tbsp
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 44
    Calories 57
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4.91g 8%
    Saturated Fat 0.72g 4%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.646g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.323g
    Cholesterol 4mg 1%
    Sodium 105mg 4%
    Potassium 1mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3.51g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0.94g
    Protein 0.13g
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18 3% of RDI*
    (57 calories)

Calorie Breakdown:
    Carbohydrate (23%)
    Fat (76%)
    Protein (1%)
    Decent fat, all the nutrition from an egg yolk, health benefits of olive oil (I make my own.) What's not healthy about it?

homemade =/= store bought. that sounds delish.
  • cjcjcjcjcj
    cjcjcjcjcj Posts: 19
    Options
    I always tend to get a little insulted when people bring up the idea that all Americans are fat, but to blame it all on a condiment is a bit dramatic...
    Not to mention Italian portions are much different than our portions, which as many people know is a huge problem over here. There are so many different factors that come in to play here.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Mayo is gross. Spicy mustard is awesome! My fav. is Walmart's Great Value brand of southwestern spicy mustard. It's full of flavor and is much lower in sodium than reg. mustard.
    PEOPLE, not just Americans, are fat because they eat over-processed, sodium and fat laden foods and don't exercise. Period.

you're right about the exercise part. but in moderation, processed food doesn't make us fat. neither does sodium. or fat.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Cheese and mayo are both gross.... just saying

Mayo can go, but leave the cheese alone!!! LOL.

Extra sharp cheddar cheese and brie and my weaknesses... NOM NOM NOM
  • klgglasgow
    klgglasgow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like your post, but politely disagree. Homemade mayo can actually be good for you. Fatty deli meats loaded with sodium & nitrates/nitrites are really bad for your body. IMO, so is any form of "bread"...whether it's whole-grain, wheat, white, etc. Heavily processed foods & complex carbs as well as not enough healthy proteins & fats are why people in this country are sick & fat. (And tired)...AND SAD........

Fruits and veggies are where you should get your carbs...not from breads, pastas, grains, etc. (In my Paleo opinion.) ;)
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how so many people zero'd in on one part of the statement and seemed to miss the main point :P. No, mayo itself is not causing obese Americans but it's a piece of the puzzle so to speak. Inactivity and bad diet overall are the issues: I spent a couple weeks in London (England) and was amazed at how much walking people there did, it blew me away. As far as diet goes American (Canadian) food tends to be over processed and served in over-sized portions. In most restaurants if you get a steak they serve fries as the vegetable and the steak is some 12+ oz monstrosity (3-4 is recommended). I laugh when I see someone at Subway getting a nice chicken or turkey sub with lots of good veggies and then they top it off with a good 1/2 cup or more of mayo and walk away proud that they made the 'healthier' choice. Yeah the basic sub was healthier than, say, a burger or something deep fried but you have negated that by adding a bunch of calories and fat called mayo. For example if you go to Wendy's and get a spicy chicken burger it has 510 cal 21 g fat, if you leave off the mayo it drops to 450cal 16 g fat... and thats assuming they measure out the 1 tsp they put on (they don't so it's likely more). If you ate 1 a day for a year (not a good idea mind you) you'd consume an extra 21900 calories a year just in the mayo alone. This is where a lot of people fail, these little added calories do just that, add up, especially in the land of the super-sized combo :P
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I always tend to get a little insulted when people bring up the idea that all Americans are fat, but to blame it all on a condiment is a bit dramatic...

I'll say! A tablespoon of mayo a couple times a week isn't going to hurt anyone. MODERATION. Any food, if you eat too much of it isn't necessarily good for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I like your post, but politely disagree. Homemade mayo can actually be good for you. Fatty deli meats loaded with sodium & nitrates/nitrites are really bad for your body. IMO, so is any form of "bread"...whether it's whole-grain, wheat, white, etc. Heavily processed foods & complex carbs as well as not enough healthy proteins & fats are why people in this country are sick & fat. (And tired)...AND SAD........

Fruits and veggies are where you should get your carbs...not from breads, pastas, grains, etc. (In my Paleo opinion.) ;)

Hope you don't eat green leafy veggies, they are chock full of nitrates
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how so many people zero'd in on one part of the statement and seemed to miss the main point :P. No, mayo itself is not causing obese Americans but it's a piece of the puzzle so to speak. Inactivity and bad diet overall are the issues: I spent a couple weeks in London (England) and was amazed at how much walking people there did, it blew me away. As far as diet goes American (Canadian) food tends to be over processed and served in over-sized portions. In most restaurants if you get a steak they serve fries as the vegetable and the steak is some 12+ oz monstrosity (3-4 is recommended). I laugh when I see someone at Subway getting a nice chicken or turkey sub with lots of good veggies and then they top it off with a good 1/2 cup or more of mayo and walk away proud that they made the 'healthier' choice. Yeah the basic sub was healthier than, say, a burger or something deep fried but you have negated that by adding a bunch of calories and fat called mayo. For example if you go to Wendy's and get a spicy chicken burger it has 510 cal 21 g fat, if you leave off the mayo it drops to 450cal 16 g fat... and thats assuming they measure out the 1 tsp they put on (they don't so it's likely more). If you ate 1 a day for a year (not a good idea mind you) you'd consume an extra 21900 calories a year just in the mayo alone. This is where a lot of people fail, these little added calories do just that, add up, especially in the land of the super-sized combo :P

I stopped reading when you called any amount of steak a 'monstrosity.'
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    o__________________________________o
  • joannaengel
    Options
    I'm a fat American and in my adult life, I use mustard and not mayo, always have had wheat bread and not white, and also don't drink soda. My family of 4 of us gets 1 12 pack a month and my husband is usually the one to drink them, taking them to work with him, and it's diet soda, still not good for you, but doesn't have the sugar. When I was a kid, I was 90 lbs soaking wet when I was 12, I ate junk a lot.

Some Americans are just fat. Some people can't help that they are fat. I'm fat from having kids, which I was working on losing the weight when my house burnt down in a random fire and my family lost everything, and I meant EVERYTHING. Needless to say that amounted to a lot of stress, gained over 40 lbs from that. Then, I find out, I have been hypothyroid for 4+ years and one doc never thought to tell my PCP so I was undiagnosed until a few months ago I went in demanding they help me because I couldn't sleep and was always tired, was gaining weight and unable to lose regardless of my efforts, and I was busting my *kitten*!

Anyway, enough of that. Not everyone is fat because they can't say no to food. There are other reasons.

So you weren't eating any food when you gained those 40lbs? I didn't realize stress defies physics.

I actually wasn't eating hardly anything. Have you come close to dying in a fire? Doubtful. It takes a toll on you in a lot of ways. When did I even say I wasn't eating? I said I gained the weight from stress.

Saying you gained weight from stress is implying that you would have gained that weight whether you ate or not basically. Stress alone doesn't make you gain weight, eating too much does.

stress itself can cause weight gain. Too much stress can increase cortisol which makes you gain weight. It messes with your metabolism. Good try :)

Funny because some people eat less and lose weight when stressed. Either way, you still have to eat too much to put on weight and that's a fact. I also am not sure you understand the function of cortisol. It doesn't make you fat, its function is to break down your stored fat and increase your blood sugar when you're stressed. You're possibly an emotional eater and you ate more when you were stressed, which caused weight gain.

That is what cortisol does in the case of acute (short-term) stress. Under chronic (long-term) conditions you're body actually starts to deposit fat (especially in the abdominal area).
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004

www.ajcn.org/content/79/3/418.full.pdf

Reinhold JG, et al. Decreased absorption of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus by humans due to increased fiber and phosphorus consumption as wheat bread. Journal of Nutrition, Apr, 1976

jn.nutrition.org/content/106/4/493.full.pdf

Phytic acid is in grain, nuts, raisins, etc. I haven't seen enough of the peer-review process on phytic acid--one of these studies dates back to 1976--to know if there's a scientific consensus around some forms of wheat bread being harmful. Is there?

Also, the first study deals with something called "white-wheat" bread which indicates it has been highly processed. It could be the case that some forms of wheat bread, owing to their mass-consumer processing, might not be as beneficial as thought, though wheat as I pointed out is generally lower in glycemic index than white. GI is a pretty scientifically sound concept for pre-diabetic and diabetic folks.

And I will go back to my original point though that the major American dietary pattern, relying on mass-produced food products rather than fresh food, is risky.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004

www.ajcn.org/content/79/3/418.full.pdf

Reinhold JG, et al. Decreased absorption of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus by humans due to increased fiber and phosphorus consumption as wheat bread. Journal of Nutrition, Apr, 1976

jn.nutrition.org/content/106/4/493.full.pdf

Also, the first study deals with something called "white-wheat" bread which indicates it has been highly processed. It could be the case that some forms of wheat bread, owing to their mass-consumer processing, might not be as beneficial as thought, though wheat as I pointed out is generally lower in glycemic index than white. GI is a pretty scientifically sound concept for pre-diabetic and diabetic folks.

Way to read the study there champ.

Lol back to GI
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    I think that's part of the picture--less labor and activity, but this came after people left the factories post-industrialization. The big part is that food production and distribution also became industrialized.

People working longer hours in sedentary jobs, women joining the workforce also meant little time to prepare healthy meals, so enter fast food and packaged foods--an obvious health trap. But even when you go to the supermarket, buying packaged stuff, there's a chance you're consuming a wide variety of ingredients that are simply nutritionally harmful. High-fructose corn syrup--and you can even find it in bread--is often cited as the chief culprit, but I am sure the list goes on.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you say in theory - if we all ate healthier, less processed food we'd definitely be doing ourselves a favour. I do have to disagree with your comment about Italy though. My hubby is Sicillian & we went all around Italy for our honeymoon - everything we ate was starchy carb-based, or dripping in oil & HUGE potions!!! I have never seen so much meat & pasta in my life. We both put on 7kgs in 6 weeks!!!!! To be fair, we were mostly being fed by his rellies so I suppose it may be just that they were trying to make us feel welcome (& fat). But seriously from what we saw in our time there, I thought there were easily as many supersized Italians as Aussies!!
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like adding light mayo to my sandwiches. Its half the fat but I don't taste a difference. It makes the drier sandwiches just a little smoother, without the tartness of mustard.
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Why would all of you who are making a "life style change to be HEALTHY" even think about eating this? Where is the nutritional value??

Mayonnaise
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tbsp
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 44
    Calories 57
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4.91g 8%
    Saturated Fat 0.72g 4%
    Cholesterol 4mg 1%
    Sodium 105mg 4%
    Potassium 1mg
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0.94g
    Protein 0.13g
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    (57 calories)

Calorie Breakdown:
    Carbohydrate (23%)
    Fat (76%)
    Protein (1%)

What's more, many brands of mayo, ketchup, even bread--there's high-fructose corn syrup added in:

Garlic+and+Onion+1+011.JPG

You can even find it in steak marinades:
    Garlic+and+Onion+1+016.JPG

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    man i love mayo and eat it by the gallonful.

fat is not bad. when will people stop being brainwashed into thinking it is?
  • Acg67
    Options

Mayonnaise
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tbsp
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 44
    Calories 57
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4.91g 8%
    Saturated Fat 0.72g 4%
    Cholesterol 4mg 1%
    Sodium 105mg 4%
    Potassium 1mg
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0.94g
    Protein 0.13g
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    (57 calories)

Calorie Breakdown:
    Carbohydrate (23%)
    Fat (76%)
    Protein (1%)

What's more, many brands of mayo, ketchup, even bread--there's high-fructose corn syrup added in:

Garlic+and+Onion+1+011.JPG

You can even find it in steak marinades:
    Garlic+and+Onion+1+016.JPG

Yeah,. maybe if you made homemade mayo, or avoided a HFCS version, and yeah, a little high-fructose corn syrup is not going to kill you, but hey, I have this sandwich quite often, so I'd rather not have the mayo, and the larger point is this: Why is the American presumption that I want mayo, chips with my sandwich, and a Coke? Or that I want fries with a burger, that I want the sources of my beef to be fed with grain, or that I want HFCS added to a steak marinade?

The list just goes on.

and metabolically HFCS is different than sucrose how?