"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options
Whenever I order a sandwich at a deli, I give the precise description of what I want: whole-wheat bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mustard. Nine times of 10, the counter person replies: "No Mayo?"

Nope, don't want the empty calories and fat that come with Mayo or white bread.
Mayo is not very flavorful in any case and white bread tastes no better than wheat.

Add up all those mayo and white bread calories, not to mention high-fructose corn syrup in sodas, the propensity of Americans to eat fast food or packaged food products, and a generally sedentary lifestyle, there's little wonder why Americans are so chunky. I recall several "aha" moments even in Italy where I saw thin people drinking wine, eating pasta. They tend to walk a lot more, eat fresher food, their pizzas are ultra-thin crust, and it's nearly impossible to find mayo, Cokes and fries. Dessert and snacks there are usually fruit, sometimes a small scoop of gelat, unless it's a special occassion.

I recall at my heaviest my meals consisted of McMuffins, burritos and chips, Domino's pizza. For what it's worth. One can make allot of progress just by eating more fresh stuff and cutting the junk.

Replies

• kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never seen a difference between the calories in whole wheat bread and white bread. A quick comparasion on here of the same brand shows no difference.

For me, a good mayo adds flavor. I love mayo. i would rather forego cheese over mayo. I guess it boils down to your taste.

I dont really do soda.

PS - not American.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

Wow, the most insightful post Ive ever read! :huh: :laugh:

I do tend to agree with you though OP, I don't think too many would disagree. Sometimes we over complicate things, when just eating 'better' foods a little more often would make such a difference to most people.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Obviously you have no idea how much fun mayo can be in the bedroom...
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I love mayo too, but I agree that many american brand mayos are not very flavorful. I remember when I moved to the US how disappointed I was in the mayo - and I stopped eating mayo LOL. AND I gained a lot of weight - more because of eating more fast food (but without mayo). It took me a while to find good mayo, but you can find it - and it is GOOD. Good mayo is yum! I still eat mayo and I lost weight with mayo - eating it in moderation.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Waddafuq?
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally agree. Only Americans are fat and this is clearly why.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Obviously you have no idea how much fun mayo can be in the bedroom...

I bet the bad mayo (the tasteless mayo) is more effective in this arena.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    yup I blame George W. Bush for us being the fattest country in the world plus the Italians for creating pizza. DAM YOU MARIO & LUIGI!!!!!

PIZZA! PIZZA!
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with you OP. I'm a Brit and we're going the same way. Too much cheap pre packaged food is doing people harm.
    Personally, I love mayonnaise and chips but I also know that I love them even more as a treat every now and again. I also love fresh vegetables and feel so healthy inside and out when I've had a healthy nutritous meal. I wish more people understood how good fresh food could be.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Is that a joke. An other newbie telling us how to do it.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options

wow, really? (I need a smiley banging his head on a wall)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

you win today's
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never seen a difference between the calories in whole wheat bread and white bread. A quick comparasion on here of the same brand shows no difference.

For me, a good mayo adds flavor. I love mayo. i would rather forego cheese over mayo. I guess it boils down to your taste.

I dont really do soda.

PS - not American.

The difference in white and wheat bread may not be the number of calories, however there is a lot more nutritional value in whole wheat/mulitgrain bread than there is in white bread. "Empty calories" refers to foods that have (relatively) high caloric rates with very little nutritional value. I don't think OP meant that white bread had more calories, just that they are empty calories because white bread isn't as good for you.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally agree. Only Americans are fat and this is clearly why.

So true!
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Yeah you can consume under your BMR in Mayo per day and theoretically you wouldn't gain weight.

You would, however, likely develop health complications from malnutrition. And there's no telling what an all-fat diet will do to your body's natural metabolism. Probably since you're not consuming any protein, you would experience rapid muscle loss and lower your BMR, if not develop a variety of other health issues from malnourished organs.

My point was not specific to Mayo but the eating regimen followed by most Americans., which is heavy on starches and fats and does not emphasize enough vegetables, fish, lean meats and fruit. Portions are also larger in this country then elsewhere. When you overconsume crap, it's a vicious cycle.

When you go to a diet that emphasizes veggies, lean meats, whole grains--you end up getting filled faster. Secondly, your body has the proper nutrients it needs to do its work. One thing I like about this app is that it gives you nutrition info, so people won't be tempted to just fill up on junk.

And chocolate or honey is more fun in bed then mayo :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

wow, really? (I need a smiley banging his head on a wall)

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif
  • cerwin17
    cerwin17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Miracle Whip Light over any mayonnaise...I don't think mayonnaise tastes that good, at all. Though now that I am counting calories I want to try and lean more toward mustard and other condiments that don't have as many calories and fat.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    ... and I could never give up cheese, OMG how could I live without cheese, I would die, wither away.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

And chocolate or honey is more fun in bed then mayo :)

... and this is why I'm glad I didn't keep a food log while away at college... half my diary would be beer, the other half coolwhip and chocolate :laugh: