"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

thats a blogpost,someones opinion on A study they read.

Obviously, as the study shows, while a no-carb diet like Atkins has the best metabolic benefit at the same level of calorie intake, it presents some health considerations long term, and the advice was for a low-GI diet.

there are other studies that show a low carb diet has no metabolic advantage unless you have a medical ssue related to this.
    Here's a handy chart for low GI foods:
    Nothing is ever as black-and-white as the media makes it out to be, though in the end, the truth is quite simple: Eat healthy, don't eat too much, and exercise.

agreed. Including mayo.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Whenever I order a sandwich at a deli, I give the precise description of what I want: whole-wheat bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mustard. Nine times of 10, the counter person replies: "No Mayo?"

Cool story, bro!

I have to stay, posts like this (and all the inane replies) along with all the people that don't know the difference between lose and loose are the reasons that I don't spend more time on these message boards.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat American and in my adult life, I use mustard and not mayo, always have had wheat bread and not white, and also don't drink soda. My family of 4 of us gets 1 12 pack a month and my husband is usually the one to drink them, taking them to work with him, and it's diet soda, still not good for you, but doesn't have the sugar. When I was a kid, I was 90 lbs soaking wet when I was 12, I ate junk a lot.

Some Americans are just fat. Some people can't help that they are fat. I'm fat from having kids, which I was working on losing the weight when my house burnt down in a random fire and my family lost everything, and I meant EVERYTHING. Needless to say that amounted to a lot of stress, gained over 40 lbs from that. Then, I find out, I have been hypothyroid for 4+ years and one doc never thought to tell my PCP so I was undiagnosed until a few months ago I went in demanding they help me because I couldn't sleep and was always tired, was gaining weight and unable to lose regardless of my efforts, and I was busting my *kitten*!

Anyway, enough of that. Not everyone is fat because they can't say no to food. There are other reasons.

So you weren't eating any food when you gained those 40lbs? I didn't realize stress defies physics.

I actually wasn't eating hardly anything. Have you come close to dying in a fire? Doubtful. It takes a toll on you in a lot of ways. When did I even say I wasn't eating? I said I gained the weight from stress.

Saying you gained weight from stress is implying that you would have gained that weight whether you ate or not basically. Stress alone doesn't make you gain weight, eating too much does.

stress itself can cause weight gain. Too much stress can increase cortisol which makes you gain weight. It messes with your metabolism. Good try :)

Funny because some people eat less and lose weight when stressed. Either way, you still have to eat too much to put on weight and that's a fact. I also am not sure you understand the function of cortisol. It doesn't make you fat, its function is to break down your stored fat and increase your blood sugar when you're stressed. You're possibly an emotional eater and you ate more when you were stressed, which caused weight gain.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

Yes, preferably with cheese curds. You sound so surprised! :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

That's funny, because when I was earning my bio degree, I was told that carbohydrates are essential to creating ENERGY. Let's take a walk through cellular respiration, shall we?

You eat carbs (Oh no. Evil carbs!) Your body breaks them down into the basic sugars and then feeds them into a process called glycolysis, in which glucose (evil sugar) is broken down into simpler sugars called pyruvate. Pyruvate is fed in to Krebs cycle and during the process it immediately produces H+ (A lose proton which will combine with OH later to become H2O) C02, which is waste, NADH+ and NAD+ (Energy). Then the pyruvate goes through the cycle twice, churning out 2 ATPs, 6 NADH+s and 2 FADH2 which all all forms of USABLE ENERGY.

So, removing the big long sciencey thing I just nerdily wrote, CARBS ARE WHAT FUEL YOUR BODY. THEY ARE NOT EVIL!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat American and in my adult life, I use mustard and not mayo, always have had wheat bread and not white, and also don't drink soda. My family of 4 of us gets 1 12 pack a month and my husband is usually the one to drink them, taking them to work with him, and it's diet soda, still not good for you, but doesn't have the sugar. When I was a kid, I was 90 lbs soaking wet when I was 12, I ate junk a lot.

Some Americans are just fat. Some people can't help that they are fat. I'm fat from having kids, which I was working on losing the weight when my house burnt down in a random fire and my family lost everything, and I meant EVERYTHING. Needless to say that amounted to a lot of stress, gained over 40 lbs from that. Then, I find out, I have been hypothyroid for 4+ years and one doc never thought to tell my PCP so I was undiagnosed until a few months ago I went in demanding they help me because I couldn't sleep and was always tired, was gaining weight and unable to lose regardless of my efforts, and I was busting my *kitten*!

Anyway, enough of that. Not everyone is fat because they can't say no to food. There are other reasons.

So you weren't eating any food when you gained those 40lbs? I didn't realize stress defies physics.

I actually wasn't eating hardly anything. Have you come close to dying in a fire? Doubtful. It takes a toll on you in a lot of ways. When did I even say I wasn't eating? I said I gained the weight from stress.

Saying you gained weight from stress is implying that you would have gained that weight whether you ate or not basically. Stress alone doesn't make you gain weight, eating too much does.

stress itself can cause weight gain. Too much stress can increase cortisol which makes you gain weight. It messes with your metabolism. Good try :)

Funny because some people eat less and lose weight when stressed. Either way, you still have to eat too much to put on weight and that's a fact. I also am not sure you understand the function of cortisol. It doesn't make you fat, its function is to break down your stored fat and increase your blood sugar when you're stressed. You're possibly an emotional eater and you ate more when you were stressed, which caused weight gain.

Nope, I hardly ate at all. Read the article I sent you, lol.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

That is called HIGH Cortisol levels due to stress. In other words, Adrenal Gland Fatigue and combined with Hypo-thyroid it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight even when you are barely eating anything.

Ask me how I know...................I have lived that life already.

Don't judge unless you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

That is called HIGH Cortisol levels due to stress. In other words, Adrenal Gland Fatigue and combined with Hypo-thyroid it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight even when you are barely eating anything.

It is quite true, it isn't always as simple as cals in and cals out. Hormonal responses do play a role, and for some people a large one. Excessive cortisol is proven to have a negative effect on fat loss.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Real mayo is really just an egg, a healthy oil like olive oil (not canola), lemon juice and usually a few spices. There isn't anything particularly healthy with that.

That being said, this is not how Miracle Whip or most store bought brands are made so OP is correct about that.

Considering there is nothing unhealthy about eggs or olive oil I don't understand what you are trying to say???????
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Thumbs up for this, plus kudos to the previous poster who mentioned what a pure-mayo diet would be to the Krebs cycle.
    Always nice to see folks with a scientific background ...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

It is quite true, it isn't always as simple as cals in and cals out. Hormonal responses do play a role, and for some people a large one. Excessive cortisol is proven to have a negative effect on fat loss.

So then why do many people also lose weight when stressed? If it was cortisol then they should gain weight too. That's like someone saying pms makes you fat because of the hormones.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    My story on Mayo was not intended to be singling out Mayo as the singular culprit in American obesity, but rather to illustrate the poor food choices available to Americans when eating out. Like I said, it's hard to find Mayo and french fries and corn-syrup based sodas in countries that are statistically healthier.

You go out to eat here in the USA: The portions are larger than in most countries, they are generally made with ingredients that are less healthy than elsewhere (food is more processed in the USA), and then: When you ask for them to make something in a way that is more nutritious or lower in calories, it's a big surprise. So that's what the "No Mayo?" story was supposed to illustrate. The system here--poor nutritional choices, sedentary lifestyles--influences obesity.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I dunno...I'm an underweight American. I eat mayo.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Yes...the ONLY REASON why Americans are fat is because of mayo.

STOP THE FRELLING PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZOMGELEVENTY11

There are a bajillion of reasons why America has an obesity problem--cutting back physical education and health requirements in schools; poverty; over-dependence on tv and video games in lieu of parenting; kids no long being allowed to be "free range" and just stay outside all day; lack of education about good food choices; over-worked parents and the ease of picking up fast food; over-scheduling our lives; and the list goes on and on and on...

Darlin', it ain't the mayo's fault. :flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

So then why do many people also lose weight when stressed? If it was cortisol then they should gain weight too. That's like someone saying pms makes you fat because of the hormones.

what victoria said!

Cortisol is a necessary hormone that is also released while exercising, eating and awakening along with psychosocial stress.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

wow, really? (I need a smiley banging his head on a wall)

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif

HA HA HA

Oh no i better put my carbs in the squirrel launcher,
    1239024473_squirrel-catapult.gif
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Is that a joke. An other newbie telling us how to do it.
    I agree :laugh: Obviously the one who posted the above is a quack to actually advise us on what to do. He needs to do a lot of research, read more, watch educational shows& be exposed to nutrition.nting

Calorie surplus + sedentary lifestyle = weight gain

So nope, its not the carbs that makes you fat. Veggies are super low in calories but since they are carbs so according to your dumb theory, they will make you fat??? LMAO
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Glad we finally have someone to tell us fat Americans what tates good and doesn't so we know what is worth eating if we don't want to be obese.