"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    What mayo did you find? I would love to know!!!
    I love mayo too, but I agree that many american brand mayos are not very flavorful. I remember when I moved to the US how disappointed I was in the mayo - and I stopped eating mayo LOL. AND I gained a lot of weight - more because of eating more fast food (but without mayo). It took me a while to find good mayo, but you can find it - and it is GOOD. Good mayo is yum! I still eat mayo and I lost weight with mayo - eating it in moderation.
  • _Refried_
    _Refried_ Posts: 194
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.
    free-sign-smileys-1014.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.
    tigerpalm.jpg

Sad tigers make me sad. Even if they are feline.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This thread opened with fail...then just failed harder and harder with each post.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Read the above post, yes there are other factors. The "No Mayo!" story was intended as a story to illustrate a larger problem--poor food choices of Americans when eating out, which also includes fast-food, larger portions than what's available in other countries etc., and all the sedentary factors you mentioned.

Yes, you can eat mayo with lunch every day, and still lose weight, but if you follow an American pattern of eating highly-processed, nutrient-shallow foods and having a sedentary lifestyle, chances are you will gain weight.

The story was intended to illustrate a problem: Why are sometimes people so surprised in America when you ask for a more nutritious choice?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My story on Mayo was not intended to be singling out Mayo as the singular culprit in American obesity, but rather to illustrate the poor food choices available to Americans when eating out. Like I said, it's hard to find Mayo and french fries and corn-syrup based sodas in countries that are statistically healthier.

You go out to eat here in the USA: The portions are larger than in most countries, they are generally made with ingredients that are less healthy than elsewhere (food is more processed in the USA), and then: When you ask for them to make something in a way that is more nutritious or lower in calories, it's a big surprise. So that's what the "No Mayo?" story was supposed to illustrate. The system here--poor nutritional choices, sedentary lifestyles--influences obesity.

there are more choices here than anywhere else. so the choices aren't poor -- many people just suck at making the right ones. big difference.

also ... are you saying other countries don't have, say, coke or pepsi? that's kind of a weird blanket statement.
  • jadejaws
    jadejaws Posts: 1
    Options
    100 percent wrong.
    Go back to your quack diet and flawed logic.
    This site has it 100 percent correct.
    6000 calories would make you VERY fat VERY quickly unless you were Michael Phelps.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    This thread opened with fail...then just failed harder and harder with each post.

theres some funny in there!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I can tell you that the food served in school is pretty gross. But the real problem with school food is that kids never eat the vegetables offered with their entree and instead they buy cookies and chips to add to their slice of pizza, and sometimes juice. They eat so wretchedly! Parents don't always know this is going on. If the food were great and all put on their plates with less choice, it could be much better for kids, because as they get talking with each other they will forget and just put it in their mouth and say, hey this is good. Kids don't even get good choices in school. So many of the children are overweight already. It was not like this when I was growing up. Kids deserve better.

Ruth
    Yes...the ONLY REASON why Americans are fat is because of mayo.

STOP THE FRELLING PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZOMGELEVENTY11

There are a bajillion of reasons why America has an obesity problem--cutting back physical education and health requirements in schools; poverty; over-dependence on tv and video games in lieu of parenting; kids no long being allowed to be "free range" and just stay outside all day; lack of education about good food choices; over-worked parents and the ease of picking up fast food; over-scheduling our lives; and the list goes on and on and on...

Darlin', it ain't the mayo's fault. :flowerforyou:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Read the above post, yes there are other factors. The "No Mayo!" story was intended as a story to illustrate a larger problem--poor food choices of Americans when eating out, which also includes fast-food, larger portions than what's available in other countries etc., and all the sedentary factors you mentioned.

Yes, you can eat mayo with lunch every day, and still lose weight, but if you follow an American pattern of eating highly-processed, nutrient-shallow foods and having a sedentary lifestyle, chances are you will gain weight.

The story was intended to illustrate a problem: Why are sometimes people so surprised in America when you ask for a more nutritious choice?

unless you eat too much of that "highly processed, nutrient-shallow food[/i], no, you won't, gain weight.
  • _Refried_
    _Refried_ Posts: 194
    Options

Did you just figure all this out?? Today??
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I love Mayo on my sandwich, Only use 15g on mine. Yes, I weigh it. I weight EVERYTHING. I use Smart Balance Omega Plus Light Mayo Dressing. It kinda tastes a little diff than like bama mayo or watever. Idk if it's any better for u, but I like and will continue to eat it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

That makes me sadder than sad tigers.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I love mayo and include it on everything.
    Fabulous condiment. :drinker:
    Lost 78 lbs and reached all my weight goals.

So, why are Americans fat?
    Not mayo
    You could be eating tofu wrapped in seaweed dipped in celery juice and still get fat.
    It's not so much WHAT we eat but how we eat.
    2 words: gluttony - laziness
    This is why people get fat.
  • kaylageserick
    kaylageserick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally agree. Only Americans are fat and this is clearly why.

So true!

REALLY? No fat people ANY where else?? :cry:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

we have that here in NJ. Disco fries. yuck

Are you seriously saying Poutine is yuck? That makes me saddest of all.

Edit - disregard. I thought someone mentioned cheese curds. Fires and gravy - fine. Fries cheese and gravy = awesome.
  • kaylageserick
    Options
    I love mayo and include it on everything.
    Fabulous condiment. :drinker:
    Lost 78 lbs and reached all my weight goals.

So, why are Americans fat?
    Not mayo
    You could be eating tofu wrapped in seaweed dipped in celery juice and still get fat.
    It's not so much WHAT we eat but how we eat.
    2 words: gluttony - laziness
    This is why people get fat.

AGREED!
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never seen a difference between the calories in whole wheat bread and white bread. A quick comparasion on here of the same brand shows no difference.

Complex vs. simple carbohydrates. Complex has a lower glycemic index, and will make you feel full longer, not to mention has more dietary fiber. Whole wheat (stone ground unenriched) is certainly better for you.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options

That makes me sadder than sad tigers.

I love your dogs...but you're slow in the 5k. ;]
  • kaylageserick
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

we have that here in NJ. Disco fries. yuck

Are you seriously saying Poutine is yuck? That makes me saddest of all.

mmm poutine :tongue: