"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    Inuits eat an all fat diet and they are one of the healthiest humans on the planet.

You're not an Inuit, sweetie. ;)

I still eat a high fat diet so I part Inuit dang it!

Says who?

m3_038_cartoon.jpg
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    so, you are calling Americans fat? nice. good one there - great way to be totally insulting. I guess I'm glad I'm a Texan then...even though ethnically I'm carribean american, l love mayo and I'm not fat. I love all that high calorie food that make my meals so yummy.

and keep up your wonderful high glycemic index diet. I'm sure that will work wonders for you in the long run! :laugh:
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You sir, have obviously never dipped your french fries in mayo.

Oh that's something I miss! Everyday in high school I got french fries and dipped them into mayo! Haven't had them in over 4 years.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yup I blame George W. Bush for us being the fattest country in the world plus the Italians for creating pizza. DAM YOU MARIO & LUIGI!!!!!

PIZZA! PIZZA!

I like my pizza with mayo when i am drunk. :tongue:
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    so, you are calling Americans fat? nice. good one there - great way to be totally insulting. I guess I'm glad I'm a Texan then....

and keep up your wonderful high glycemic index diet. I'm sure that will work wonders for you in the long run! :laugh:

Wait... Calling someone who is fat "fat" is insulting HMM
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat American and in my adult life, I use mustard and not mayo, always have had wheat bread and not white, and also don't drink soda. My family of 4 of us gets 1 12 pack a month and my husband is usually the one to drink them, taking them to work with him, and it's diet soda, still not good for you, but doesn't have the sugar. When I was a kid, I was 90 lbs soaking wet when I was 12, I ate junk a lot.

Some Americans are just fat. Some people can't help that they are fat. I'm fat from having kids, which I was working on losing the weight when my house burnt down in a random fire and my family lost everything, and I meant EVERYTHING. Needless to say that amounted to a lot of stress, gained over 40 lbs from that. Then, I find out, I have been hypothyroid for 4+ years and one doc never thought to tell my PCP so I was undiagnosed until a few months ago I went in demanding they help me because I couldn't sleep and was always tired, was gaining weight and unable to lose regardless of my efforts, and I was busting my *kitten*!

Anyway, enough of that. Not everyone is fat because they can't say no to food. There are other reasons.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    My mayo dependency was resolved after a few summers of working in a deli. You can only slop so much of that *kitten* on liverwurst and bologna sandwiches before you never want to even smell it again.
  • AmyFett
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

wow, really? (I need a smiley banging his head on a wall)

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif

Thank you!

LOL
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat American and in my adult life, I use mustard and not mayo, always have had wheat bread and not white, and also don't drink soda. My family of 4 of us gets 1 12 pack a month and my husband is usually the one to drink them, taking them to work with him, and it's diet soda, still not good for you, but doesn't have the sugar. When I was a kid, I was 90 lbs soaking wet when I was 12, I ate junk a lot.

Some Americans are just fat. Some people can't help that they are fat. I'm fat from having kids, which I was working on losing the weight when my house burnt down in a random fire and my family lost everything, and I meant EVERYTHING. Needless to say that amounted to a lot of stress, gained over 40 lbs from that. Then, I find out, I have been hypothyroid for 4+ years and one doc never thought to tell my PCP so I was undiagnosed until a few months ago I went in demanding they help me because I couldn't sleep and was always tired, was gaining weight and unable to lose regardless of my efforts, and I was busting my *kitten*!

Anyway, enough of that. Not everyone is fat because they can't say no to food. There are other reasons.

So you weren't eating any food when you gained those 40lbs? I didn't realize stress defies physics.
  • AmyFett
    Options

So you weren't eating any food when you gained those 40lbs? I didn't realize stress defies physics.

I actually wasn't eating hardly anything. Have you come close to dying in a fire? Doubtful. It takes a toll on you in a lot of ways. When did I even say I wasn't eating? I said I gained the weight from stress.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    I think there are two dieting myths out there:

(1) All calories are created equal, so it doesn't matter if it's white bread or wheat, or a piece of fish vs. a Big Mac, or a banana vs. a piece of chocolate cake, so long as you consume under your BMR...

(2) It's not the calories but the carbs that are evil

For (1), research has proven that low-glycemic calories--such as available in lean meats, fish, veggies, whole grains, certain fruits--are better for weight loss than getting high-glycemic calories, such as through sugars (fries, candies, sugars, certain breads, etc.). People who eat low-glycemic foods tend to lose more weight than high-gylcemic diets *even though the calorie count is the same*.

Here's a recent study: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Obviously, as the study shows, while a no-carb diet like Atkins has the best metabolic benefit at the same level of calorie intake, it presents some health considerations long term, and the advice was for a low-GI diet.

Here's a handy chart for low GI foods:

http://www.drkessinger.com/images/glycemicindex.pdf

You will notice that the GI of whole grain bread and some kinds of pasta is below that of white bread/baguettes and even certain types of beans. So in addition to not all calories being equal, not all carbs are created equal.

Nothing is ever as black-and-white as the media makes it out to be, though in the end, the truth is quite simple: Eat healthy, don't eat too much, and exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ... and I could never give up cheese, OMG how could I live without cheese, I would die, wither away.

Please dont misunderstand, i couldnt live without cheese. But on a sandwich it is second to mayo but only in that case.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I actually wasn't eating hardly anything. Have you come close to dying in a fire? Doubtful. It takes a toll on you in a lot of ways. When did I even say I wasn't eating? I said I gained the weight from stress.

Saying you gained weight from stress is implying that you would have gained that weight whether you ate or not basically. Stress alone doesn't make you gain weight, eating too much does.
  • AmyFett
    Options

(1) All calories are created equal, so it doesn't matter if it's white bread or wheat, or a piece of fish vs. a Big Mac, or a banana vs. a piece of chocolate cake, so long as you consume under your BMR...

(2) It's not the calories but the carbs that are evil

For (1), research has proven that low-glycemic calories--such as available in lean meats, fish, veggies, whole grains, certain fruits--are better for weight loss than getting high-glycemic calories, such as through sugars (fries, candies, sugars, certain breads, etc.). People who eat low-glycemic foods tend to lose more weight than high-gylcemic diets *even though the calorie count is the same*.

Here's a recent study: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Obviously, as the study shows, while a no-carb diet like Atkins has the best metabolic benefit at the same level of calorie intake, it presents some health considerations long term, and the advice was for a low-GI diet.

Here's a handy chart for low GI foods:

You will notice that the GI of whole grain bread and some kinds of pasta is below that of white bread/baguettes and even certain types of beans. So in addition to not all calories being equal, not all carbs are created equal.

Nothing is ever as black-and-white as the media makes it out to be, though in the end, the truth is quite simple: Eat healthy, don't eat too much, and exercise.

that is true, about the gi with white vs wheat. when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, they advised her to cut down on carbs, and count the carbs she does have, and when she has bread or pasta, go for wheat and not white, same with rice. Why wouldn't wheat be healthier anyway, white is processed.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

a calorie is a unit of energy. 1 from an apple = 1 from a snickers. saying it isn't is a bit like saying all inches aren't created equal.
  • AmyFett
    Options

Saying you gained weight from stress is implying that you would have gained that weight whether you ate or not basically. Stress alone doesn't make you gain weight, eating too much does.

stress itself can cause weight gain. Too much stress can increase cortisol which makes you gain weight. It messes with your metabolism. Good try :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

that is true, about the gi with white vs wheat. when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, they advised her to cut down on carbs, and count the carbs she does have, and when she has bread or pasta, go for wheat and not white, same with rice. Why wouldn't wheat be healthier anyway, white is processed.

uhh ... wheat is processed, too.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

There you go. Stats don't lie: America is No. 1 in obesity. Not all Americans are fat but generally, we are the fattest.

Also, I advocate a low-GI diet. Whole-grain bread is fairly low GI--lower than some kind of beans as this chart shows:

Scroll up to my previous post on "myths" for a better picture.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

This is simply amazing. You should be a nutrition expert.

:huh:
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Real mayo is really just an egg, a healthy oil like olive oil (not canola), lemon juice and usually a few spices. There isn't anything particularly healthy with that.

That being said, this is not how Miracle Whip or most store bought brands are made so OP is correct about that.