"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Whenever I order a sandwich at a deli, I give the precise description of what I want: whole-wheat bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mustard. Nine times of 10, the counter person replies: "No Mayo?"

Nope, don't want the empty calories and fat that come with Mayo or white bread.
    Mayo is not very flavorful in any case and white bread tastes no better than wheat.

Add up all those mayo and white bread calories, not to mention high-fructose corn syrup in sodas, the propensity of Americans to eat fast food or packaged food products, and a generally sedentary lifestyle, there's little wonder why Americans are so chunky. I recall several "aha" moments even in Italy where I saw thin people drinking wine, eating pasta. They tend to walk a lot more, eat fresher food, their pizzas are ultra-thin crust, and it's nearly impossible to find mayo, Cokes and fries. Dessert and snacks there are usually fruit, sometimes a small scoop of gelat, unless it's a special occassion.

I recall at my heaviest my meals consisted of McMuffins, burritos and chips, Domino's pizza. For what it's worth. One can make allot of progress just by eating more fresh stuff and cutting the junk.

white bread often has fewer calories that wheat. just sayin.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

*facepalm*

So if my maintenance is at 3000 and I eat 6000 in mayo then, by your reasoning, I won't gain weight? Other than the fact 6000 calories of mayo would make me puke.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

wow, really? (I need a smiley banging his head on a wall)

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif

Thank you!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

LULZ...I may share this on Facebook, so all my fat friends will know what made them that way.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options

<<< Kermit not the only crazy here...Everything release insulin even protein but fat tends to release the less, carbs if good quality are good too even donuts are!

Excess calories make you fat not any food or macro.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Carbs are NOT the bad guys in the food world. Fruits and vegetables are carbs. The bad guys are all the processed, quick and easy junk foods that we've gotten used to consuming. Overall, a good, balanced, mostly whole food diet is the best, most effective way to lose weight AND be healthier.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally agree. Only Americans are fat and this is clearly why.

So true!

This is why we're friends.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    Yeah you can consume under your BMR in Mayo per day and theoretically you wouldn't gain weight.

You would, however, likely develop health complications from malnutrition. And there's no telling what an all-fat diet will do to your body's natural metabolism. Probably since you're not consuming any protein, you would experience rapid muscle loss and lower your BMR, if not develop a variety of other health issues from malnourished organs.

My point was not specific to Mayo but the eating regimen followed by most Americans., which is heavy on starches and fats and does not emphasize enough vegetables, fish, lean meats and fruit. Portions are also larger in this country then elsewhere. When you overconsume crap, it's a vicious cycle.

When you go to a diet that emphasizes veggies, lean meats, whole grains--you end up getting filled faster. Secondly, your body has the proper nutrients it needs to do its work. One thing I like about this app is that it gives you nutrition info, so people won't be tempted to just fill up on junk.

And chocolate or honey is more fun in bed then mayo :)

Inuits eat an all fat diet and they are one of the healthiest humans on the planet.
  • Ericaaa89
    Ericaaa89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We are fat because a double cheeseburger is $0.99 and a smoothie is almost $8.00. Nine times out of ten the healthy option will cost more dough than junk food.
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    ... and this is why I'm glad I didn't keep a food log while away at college... half my diary would be beer, the other half coolwhip and chocolate :laugh:

Hahahaa
  • bigpinch
    bigpinch Posts: 21
    Options
    None of those food items by themselves will make you "fat". If you consume more calories than you expend you will gain weight, it's that simple. Mayo, deep dish pizza and all those other evil foods you mentioned, in my opinion are delicious and I eat them as often as I like as long as they fit into to my caloric goals. And on the occasions where they do not fit into my goals I don't worry too much about it. I simply refuse to stop living my life hostage to my weight and diet as long as I'm meeting my goals 90% of time the rest will take care of itself.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Inuits eat an all fat diet and they are one of the healthiest humans on the planet.

You're not an Inuit, sweetie. ;)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Carbs are NOT the bad guys in the food world. Fruits and vegetables are carbs. The bad guys are all the processed, quick and easy junk foods that we've gotten used to consuming. Overall, a good, balanced, mostly whole food diet is the best, most effective way to lose weight AND be healthier.

nope. they aren't, either. sorry.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    You sir, have obviously never dipped your french fries in mayo.
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    We are fat because a double cheeseburger is $0.99 and a smoothie is almost $8.00. Nine times out of ten the healthy option will cost more dough than junk food.

Amen! :drinker:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Bahahahahahaha! :laugh:
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You sir, have obviously never dipped your french fries in mayo.

Quit it! You're making me hungry! :wink:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I don't like mayo much either. Soooo I'm not missing much it seems.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

And chocolate or honey is more fun in bed then mayo :)

... and this is why I'm glad I didn't keep a food log while away at college... half my diary would be beer, the other half coolwhip and chocolate :laugh:

and now I want coolwhip and chocolate..