"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I live in So Cal, and I'm a girl. No one ever questions when I say no mayo.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why would all of you who are making a "life style change to be HEALTHY" even think about eating this? Where is the nutritional value??

Mayonnaise
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tbsp
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 44
    Calories 57
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4.91g 8%
    Saturated Fat 0.72g 4%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.646g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.323g
    Cholesterol 4mg 1%
    Sodium 105mg 4%
    Potassium 1mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3.51g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0.94g
    Protein 0.13g
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18 3% of RDI*
    (57 calories)

Calorie Breakdown:
    Carbohydrate (23%)
    Fat (76%)
    Protein (1%)
    Decent fat, all the nutrition from an egg yolk, health benefits of olive oil (I make my own.) What's not healthy about it?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think there are two dieting myths out there:

(1) All calories are created equal, so it doesn't matter if it's white bread or wheat, or a piece of fish vs. a Big Mac, or a banana vs. a piece of chocolate cake, so long as you consume under your BMR...

(2) It's not the calories but the carbs that are evil

For (1), research has proven that low-glycemic calories--such as available in lean meats, fish, veggies, whole grains, certain fruits--are better for weight loss than getting high-glycemic calories, such as through sugars (fries, candies, sugars, certain breads, etc.). People who eat low-glycemic foods tend to lose more weight than high-gylcemic diets *even though the calorie count is the same*.

Here's a recent study: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Obviously, as the study shows, while a no-carb diet like Atkins has the best metabolic benefit at the same level of calorie intake, it presents some health considerations long term, and the advice was for a low-GI diet.

Here's a handy chart for low GI foods:

http://www.drkessinger.com/images/glycemicindex.pdf

You will notice that the GI of whole grain bread and some kinds of pasta is below that of white bread/baguettes and even certain types of beans. So in addition to not all calories being equal, not all carbs are created equal.

Nothing is ever as black-and-white as the media makes it out to be, though in the end, the truth is quite simple: Eat healthy, don't eat too much, and exercise.

Lol GI. Do you eat all your foods in a fasted state and isocalorically?

I can't decide if I love you or tigers more.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    What if whole wheat bread was no better and possibly worse then white bread?

Right on. People think whole wheat means their food is a miraculous calorie free nutrient dense super food. Whole wheat doesn't mean jack as far as it being "healthier"

And BTW I freaking love mayo and i make my own and eat it all the time and lost 47 lbs eating lots of mayo.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What if whole wheat bread was no better and possibly worse then white bread?

Right on. People think whole wheat means their food is a miraculous calorie free nutrient dense super food. Whole wheat doesn't mean jack as far as it being "healthier"

And BTW I freaking love mayo and i make my own and eat it all the time and lost 47 lbs eating lots of mayo.

It doesn't?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004

www.ajcn.org/content/79/3/418.full.pdf

Reinhold JG, et al. Decreased absorption of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus by humans due to increased fiber and phosphorus consumption as wheat bread. Journal of Nutrition, Apr, 1976

jn.nutrition.org/content/106/4/493.full.pdf
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What is it about the American lifestyle and way of eating that make it No. 1 in obesity stats?

two words for ya: industrial revolution.

Uhh... Yeah, because the U.S. is the only country to have gone through an industrial revolution, huh? Besides, the obesity problem really came after the U.S. de-industrialized, not during its industrialization. I have no idea where you were going with that point.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    What is it about the American lifestyle and way of eating that make it No. 1 in obesity stats?

two words for ya: industrial revolution.

Uhh... Yeah, because the U.S. is the only country to have gone through an industrial revolution, huh? Besides, the obesity problem really came after the U.S. de-industrialized, not during its industrialization. I have no idea where you were going with that point.

pretty clear, isn't it? as the country became more industrialized -- meaning less physical labor required to complete jobs -- it also became more sedentary. and, obviously, the U.S. isn't the only industrialized nation. look at the most obese countries. they are those that are most reliant on technology. that's why there is an increase in obesity in the developing countries. they are now seeing the effects of an inactive lifestyle combined with calorie-dense diets.

the U.S. used to be something like 90 percent farmers. it's down to, what, 2 percent now? where did those 88 percent go? desk jobs. how do they get to those desk jobs? cars. what do they do when they get home from those desk jobs? watch TV.

(and those farmers and ranchers -- the group that used to be the majority -- they have to eat way more than any of us do in order to simply maintain weight. 3,000 calories plus a day. because they are actively burning that off. so the problem comes in when we all eat like we're still farmers or ranchers instead of sedentary office workers.)

the biggest reason for obesity isn't what people are eating. it is how little they are moving. we used to have to move in order to survive. that isn't the case now.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

we have that here in NJ. Disco fries. yuck

I'm eating french fries and gravy right this second...how it is yuck?! It's amazing!! Although incredibly unhealthy
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options

that is true, about the gi with white vs wheat. when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, they advised her to cut down on carbs, and count the carbs she does have, and when she has bread or pasta, go for wheat and not white, same with rice. Why wouldn't wheat be healthier anyway, white is processed.

uhh ... wheat is processed, too.

Wheat is processed, but only so much. Wheat and whole grain products have more nutritional value than white products.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

that is true, about the gi with white vs wheat. when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, they advised her to cut down on carbs, and count the carbs she does have, and when she has bread or pasta, go for wheat and not white, same with rice. Why wouldn't wheat be healthier anyway, white is processed.

Wheat is processed, but only so much. Wheat and whole grain products have more nutritional value than white products.

Lol
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options

Lol

Whole grains contain all parts of the grain kernel. But refined grains, like the flour used to make white bread, have had the fiber-dense bran and the nutrient-rich germ processed out, leaving only the starchy endosperm. This means that refined grain is not as rich in essential fatty acids, vitamin E, magnesium, and zinc.

Some flour and bread manufacturers "enrich" their bread by adding extra vitamins back in. But it's still better to eat whole grains. The fiber and protein from the bran and germ provide a more constant source of energy, which will keep you going long after the energy from refined grains is gone. The fiber in the bran can also mean whole-grain breads help people feel full longer, preventing overeating.
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

that is until the body converts fat to glucose via gluconeogenesis...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This thread opened with fail...then just failed harder and harder with each post.
    That's what happens when somebody comes in peddling tomfoolery that seeks to remove personal responsibility from the equation. Who makes us fat?
    THE MAN IN THE MIRROR
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    OP: It's funny you mention Italy. When I was there for a month for a study abroad in Urbania, I walked about 4 kilometers (down and back) from my host family's house to the piazza where we took our classes. I ate yummy Italian food prepared fresh by my host and drank wine and coffee. Actually lost weight while I was there!!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options

And chocolate or honey is more fun in bed then mayo :)

I did the honey once. Once. Omg, what a sticky mess! It gets everywhere. Even in places where you didn't put it! :blushing:
  • singingsoprano
    singingsoprano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

that is until the body converts fat to glucose via gluconeogenesis...

Stop ruining my weightloss theories with science. I was just on my way to buy a case of mayo.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Mayo is gross. Spicy mustard is awesome! My fav. is Walmart's Great Value brand of southwestern spicy mustard. It's full of flavor and is much lower in sodium than reg. mustard.
    PEOPLE, not just Americans, are fat because they eat over-processed, sodium and fat laden foods and don't exercise. Period.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    This thread opened with fail...then just failed harder and harder with each post.
    That's what happens when somebody comes in peddling tomfoolery that seeks to remove personal responsibility from the equation. Who makes us fat?
    THE MAN IN THE MIRROR

Agreed. It's time to stop blaming sloth and gluttony for American's being fat, though. Other countries who are adopting our fast food restaurants and lifestyle and also getting fat. Take a look at Japan. It's not an purely American concept. It's a human thing. Make really delicious (and yes, unhealthy) food and drinks available at very little cost and at virtually any hour of the day and combine that with completely sedentary lifestyles brought on by the advent of personal transportation and BAM: obesity is just a natural outcome. It's human nature to seek that which gratifies and that which is easy. That doesn't mean humans lack the propensity for becoming better than that. But it's not hard to see why most of us go for what's easy: we've got more important things to worry about. Allegedly...

ETA: Mayonnaise, whether you like it or you do not like it on your sandwiches, is still an unnecessary food.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm American. I eat whole wheat and whole grains, I stay away from mayo, and I don't eat fast food. I'm thin and quite fit. Quit generalizing.