Do you think it's okay to not wear a bra in public?

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on what you wear and also what size you are. Small to medium sizes, of course, but again it depends on what you wear. It's the nipples on a woman that are considered taboo to be visible, not the breast itself. So if the fabric of whatever you are wearing is so thin that your nipples are visible through it, then yes you either need a bra or an undershirt. I dislike confining clothing and am somewhat anti-bra, but you would never know it by looking at me because I have learned the value of a good undershirt or tank top. I teach and am around middle-schoolers (who are just entering puberty and thus very sensitive/alert to these things LOL) and I never get looks or anything because I wear an undershirt/tank, then a dress shirt, then usually a smock or vest or sweater (depends on the weather) over it.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not if your nipples are showing.

THIS! A hint of nipple is very hard to pull off without looking cheap, especially during the day (unless you're on the beach of course).
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, my wife tells me to never wear a bra outside the house.
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would love not to have to wear a bra...but after having kids it's a bit of a necessity, if you can pull it off...go for it!
  • live2runnj
    live2runnj Posts: 157
    Options
    Hard question..... Let me think about this one. Hmmmmm. Ok, TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE!
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you like. As long as you aren't going to be in a place where certain dress restrictions apply (ex. work), use your own judgement. If you feel comfortable in it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just to put this in perspective, where I live (NYC) it is legal for a woman to be topless anywhere a man can be topless. There has been a push lately to make the general public more aware of this. I finally saw the results yesterday, when in the heat of July I saw a woman walking down 6th Ave in Chelsea wearing jeans and nothing else! Shocked me for a second, and then I realized that if I had the courage I would totally do it to. We can be so hung up on cultural notions of modesty, but these ideas are just cultural-- what is wrong with the hint of a nipple behind fabric? What is wrong with breasts? I see plenty of bra-less and topless men with bigger breasts than me!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You won't see me complaining. But I'd also be happier if women decided just to not wear shirts at all.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Not if your nipples are showing.

THIS! A hint of nipple is very hard to pull off without looking cheap, especially during the day (unless you're on the beach of course).

Ah, but some of us like looking a little cheap ;-P
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the size of your boobs, up to a C I think it's all grand, but larger just tends to look... sloppy. Why'd he get mad? My man would LOVE it if I just went braless all the time.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I came to work yesterday without one, but...

1. My boobs are still perky, and they aren't too big.
    2. I wore a tank top with a built-in self bra.
    3. I layered with a short-sleeved shirt.

I don't think women with large boobs or saggy boobs (or both) should venture out in public without a bra unless it's a quick errand or something. I mean, like, I go out a lot in my pajamas in the cooler weather. I'll run to the store without a bra, wearing a sweatshirt or something. I think that would be fine, no matter your size or sagginess.

Public like work or church or out to dinner...you should be fairly small and perky. IMO.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have this silk, white halter top that's really cute--problem is you can't even wear a strapless bra because it still shows. So today I said eff it and wore it anyway without a bra. I didn't notice any funny looks or anything, but when my boyfriend picked me up this afternoon to go and run errands he had a bit of a ****-fit. He wouldn't let me get out of the truck when we stopped places.

Is this really so terrible? It's not like the top was see-through. Personally, I wouldn't care if it was someone else--and I've seen plenty of women who wear tank-tops and halters in the summer without one. What do you think? Is going bra-less acceptable or taboo?

I could never get away without a bra, but some women can. It depends on size and perkiness.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking that if you boyfriend had a fit...you looked a little too sexy. another thing is nipples, for some reason, nipples draw alot of attention more so than boobs so if your nips where sticking out there which i'm sure they were next to silk, that could have been his issue. but it is your life and you can do what you want.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking that if you boyfriend had a fit...you looked a little too sexy. another thing is nipples, for some reason, nipples draw alot of attention more so than boobs so if your nips where sticking out there which i'm sure they were next to silk, that could have been his issue. but it is your life and you can do what you want.

Yeah, a silk shirt, I would not have gone w/o a bra. I forgot about material. That plays a huge roll too. If it's a thin material and/or white...I'll wear a bra.

Unless it's one of my cotton white halters that have a shelf bra. Then I won't.

And I always wear a bra with a looser tanktop or shirt. The only time I'll wear a loose shirt that doesn't have a shelf bra in it without my own bra is if it's a huge sweatshirt or several layers of shirts.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    do it honey. But your high beams might turn on if its cold. Look into the pastey things. theyre a nude color, strapless, but cover lightly enough that it would conceal but not be noticable.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you have no boobs its fine, but if your tittays are larger, never.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what we think. And apparently it doesn't matter what you think, either, if you're going to let your boyfriend decide what you can and can't wear in public.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    While I agree that no one can tell you what to do with your body, I have to look at it from a different perspective. I used to have no qualms about running to the store with just a t-shirt on and nothing underneath, but my ex-boyfriend hated for me to do that. He politely asked me to always make certain I am wearing a bra in public. Then, he smoothed it over by taking me bra shopping.

The point is that if you care about this guy at all, you have to stop and think about his feelings. Respect his wishes. I liked the one suggestion of wearing a bikini top underneath.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on the top, the situation and the boobs in question. If they're flopping around all over the place and you're in danger of putting out someone's eye... probably not. If they're staying put and you're not too niptastic... go for it.
  • Julienetan
    Julienetan Posts: 44
    Options
    yes, unless you are swimming or your boobs are very small
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend sounds like a jealous, controlling *kitten*. No one has the right to "allow you" out of a car to do what you want. If you are comfortable, go for it.