Fruit: Yes or No?

Options
So....I'm currently trying my hand at cutting body fat by eating clean and weight training. One thing that continues to trouble me is whether or not I'm allowed to eat fruit. Some websites and my trainer say no. Other websites and others say yes. For instance, right now I'm enjoying a small bowl of freshly cut strawberries. I think some people would have a conniption if they found out I was eating strawberries while trying to cut. Any people who have gone through a cut shed some light on this issue?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, fruit is a huge source of nutrition. Strawberries and blueberries are packed with antioxidants as well. Citrus is an important source of vitamins. Of course, I count my calories from all sources, but fruit is definitely an important part of a varied and healthy food plan.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Why is fruit bad? Isn't it "clean"? Is it the sugar?
  • sekeitheswingdreamer
    Options
    They say its because they have sugars. Albeit, natural sugars, but to a lot of people any sugar is BAD.
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    One lifestyle change suggestion i read from a DR suggested eating your frits before 2pm so your body has time to burn off the carbs before you go to be
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That kind of restriction is just silly. Fruit is healthy! Vitamins, anti-oxidants, fiber, etc.

You lose body fat by creating a calorie deficit. Eating mostly "healthy" whole foods will produce better results but there's usually plenty of room for other foods as well.
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think fruits are just fine! Just make sure you are eating the right ones go for fruits with very little sugar! Google it and see I know bananas have a lot of sugar!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    Dude. Fruit is awesome.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know, all those super fat people eating apples and pears.

I love fruit, I don't count the fructose sugar in it. Its not like eating a pack of Twinkies.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't see why fruit would be bad, if you're eating fruit all day long every day, then that's a lot of sugar regardless of it being natural. I don't see why one piece of fruit a day would be bad or anything like that.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That kind of restriction is just silly. Fruit is healthy! Vitamins, anti-oxidants, fiber, etc.

You lose body fat by creating a calorie deficit. Eating mostly "healthy" whole foods will produce better results but there's usually plenty of room for other foods as well.

Agree... whole, raw fruits and veggies all day and all night and getting good results, feeling great :)
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I love fruit, I don't count the fructose sugar in it. Its not like eating a pack of Twinkies.

THIS!!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So....I'm currently trying my hand at cutting body fat by eating clean and weight training. One thing that continues to trouble me is whether or not I'm allowed to eat fruit. Some websites and my trainer say no. Other websites and others say yes. For instance, right now I'm enjoying a small bowl of freshly cut strawberries. I think some people would have a conniption if they found out I was eating strawberries while trying to cut. Any people who have gone through a cut shed some light on this issue?

Yes. Stick with what is grown locally to you and is in season. i would limit the amount I eat everyday. Like don't eat more than 2 servings of fruit per day.

Like for us in the Midwest right now we have melons, tomatoes, grapes, blackberries, peaches, and apples will be coming next month at my local pick your own orchard.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

If you eat enough fruit it can be just as bad as eating a pack of Twinkies.

Something for everyone to consider.....................

When I first went on Atkins and got to Phase 2 where you start adding in higher carb vegetables and fruit I went and got blood work done at my Dr's office..............

I was eating A LOT of FRUIT and VEGETABLES.................my Triglycerides were sky high. The Dr sent me to a dietician and I was limited on the amount of fruit I was allowed to eat (replaced the fruit with lower carb vegetables).

i was limited to eating no more than 3 servings of fruiter PER WEEK.

You all need to understand that it is not merely about the "calories, no fat".....................sugar (AND YES THAT INCLUDES FRUIT) will raise your triglycerides - which leads to inflammation that causes heart disease.
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've had to do a low sugar diet before and I had to cut most fruits with a few lower sugar exceptions. I could have cantaloupe, half of an apple, and berries of any type. 1 serving per day and always with some type of fat/protein as a snack.

This was the pre-diabetic diet I followed to avoid gestational diabetes while preggo as I was borderline. You should check out the thread "sugar is every damn where".
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fruit: Hell yes.
  • kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not bad cause I just ate a whole plate of watermelon :0) lol
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I think some people would have a conniption if they found out I was eating strawberries while trying to cut. Any people who have gone through a cut shed some light on this issue?

I think "some people" don't know their *kitten* from a hole in the ground, then. Fruit has lots of lovely nutrients.

EAT FRUIT! Just treat it like what it is - high in sugar but with a nice load of nutrients. Unlike WeightWatchers, fruit here is not "free", but nor is it terribly "expensive". Keep it to 2-3 servings a day (maybe 4 if you're transitioning into fruit from sugary snacks until you can get the sugar under control) and you'll be fine.

Fruit is, always has been, and (unless I have severe diabetes or something) always will be a part of my diet. And I've lost a LOT more weight before I joined MFP than after I joined.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    fruit is really good as part of a post workout meal, when you need sugar (the natural healthy kind) I make post workout smoothies from protein powder and frozen fruit. Tastes like ice cream. Gets protein and healthy carbs to the muscles and that helps to stop excessive hunger later in the day (which can be a rebound effect of exercise for some people).

Fruit is full of vitamins and minerals. I avoid fruit juice because liquid calories don't make you feel full. However whole fruit is great. It can be high in calories, but MFP is for tracking your calories, so long as you meet your calorie goals eating fruit will not sabotage your results, and it will give you lots of vitamins and minerals.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer.

^^ Ditto