Fruit: Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    "Damn, this fruit addiction of mine has caused me to gain 50 lbs." said no one ever...

:laugh:
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "Damn, this fruit addiction of mine has caused me to gain 50 lbs." said no one ever...

:laugh:

^^
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, strawberries are very filling! Natural sugar isn't going to hurt you! Having a strawberry vs. a candy bar is good.. that is why I like to have that kind of stuff.. You do need the antioxidants and the other good stuff that fruit has for you =)
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I am not going to go off on the 'this is my opinion', because that isn't what you are needing.

One thought-maybe the trainer wants you to stay off fruit because he wants you to pull in more protein and fat to help cause the definition in your muscles and help you get 'cut'. It may not have anything to do with your 'health', but more to do with getting you to your end goal of your body shape.

Just a thought.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... I feel a rant coming on... Must fight rant. :mad:

Rant coming :explode:

Oh heck...here we go. :smile:

Fruit contains many essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, natural sugars etc. It is one of the last things that should be cut from any diet. As with all things, you should practice moderation and eat proper portions.

If someone was looking to cut foods from their diet, here are the areas I would cut back on in order of greatest to least importance (3 and 4 are actually tied for importance).

1.Processed foods -> Food that is stripped of many of the natural benefits, and then reloaded with chemical preservatives and additives. Lets process the good stuff out and keep the rest... right?
    2.White Foods -> Anything with processed sugars and flours... these tend to be hollow carbs. Wonder Bread can sit for weeks without getting mouldy? How healthy is something that even mould won't touch....Instead opt for whole grains. Healthwise, we actually want something that will only last a few days. Its called FRESH!!!
    3.Juices(tied with 4) -> Made from fruit, but has many of the healthy components removed\reduced and is often made from concentrate with sugar added.. It usually is lacking in fiber and really becomes a sugar beverage. Very good at providing insulin spikes which can increase your hunger later.
    4. Meats .(tied with 3) -> This is an area of rampant overconsumption. The average serving of meat shouldn't exceed the size of a deck of cards. We often will consume 5-6 times our daily requirments. When consuming meat, go for leaner cuts and avoid smoked/seasoned prepared meats (high fat/high sodium... weight gain anyone?)
    5.Dairy -> Another area that is often overconsumed. Dairy is generally good for you... is an excellent source of protein... but is usually overconsumed. A portion of cheese should be no larger than the size of your thumb. Go for low fat options.
    6.Fruits -> Excellent source of fiber, natural sugars (carbs), minerals and vitamins. The fiber slows down the insulin response and gives you a sense of satiety that lasts.
    7.Vegetables -> The healthy choice. Fiber, Vitamins, Minerals... how much fat is in a carrot? How many carbs in a stick of celery? Most of the calories in a salad come from the dressings and toppings we inject into them. You really almost can't have enough veggies (Hidden Fact -> Corn is not a Vegetable. It is a Cereal grain).

Finally... realize that sometimes its not the food itself... but the way we prepare it. I'll cite the potato as an example A simple white potato isn't all that bad... until you deep fry it, or top it with sour cream, bacon bits and chives. Preparing food in a healthy manner can make a huge difference in the content of a meal.

RANT OVER

:ohwell:
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You should eat fruit. As many have said fruit is full of vitamins and nutrients. I totally understand wanting to be cut but I wouldn't deprive yourself of all the wonderful health benefits of fruit.

My stepmother is diabetic and she does steer clear of over ripe fruits because according to her dietitian when the fruit starts to get overripe the natural sugars have broken down even further and if eaten can cause a spike in blood sugar. Particularly bananas, peaches, and melons in general. She was advised to eat things like apples, all berries, cherries, and bananas if they are slightly green. These fruits have a naturally lower sugar content (banana and peaches when under ripe) and tend to be higher in fiber. If you want you could do some protein with your fruit like a shake or some cheese or a hard boiled egg. Don't know if this helps and to each his own I just don't understand totally cutting a type of food with so many known health benefits! The best to you!!!!!
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I now eat strawberries, apples, cherries, melon ect instead of chocolate, crisps, cakes ect. Which sounds healthier? :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One lifestyle change suggestion i read from a DR suggested eating your frits before 2pm so your body has time to burn off the carbs before you go to be

Who was that......Dr Oz? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (I guess your body stops burning calories while you're asleep)
    When I first went on Atkins and got to Phase 2 where you start adding in higher carb vegetables and fruit I went and got blood work done at my Dr's office..............

I was eating A LOT of FRUIT and VEGETABLES.................my Triglycerides were sky high.......

While the link between dietary fat and blood lipid levels is tenuous do you really think eating fruits & veg could be the cause of problem? I have yet to read any credible information regarding lowering serum lipid levels that advocated cutting back on fruits & vegetables.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    How healthy is something that even mould won't touch....Instead opt for whole grains.

Love this.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Again... The OP really needs 4 pages worth of **yes eat this because of this**

#lockthread
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have fruit every morning with my breakfast. This morning it was kiwi and blueberries----Yum!
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later......I was told only yesterday, that apparently you need to cut all sugars out of the diet but its ok to eat fruit 30 mins before or after exercise.

I was also told to eat like a cave man.....no processed or packaged products.....such as yoghurts, cheese etc.....not even some of the veggies! ..... that we need to stay away from them.

It's the 21st century.......I need my yoghurts, cheese and milky drinks!........am I wrong in how I'm viewing this?
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    Again... The OP really needs 4 pages worth of **yes eat this because of this**

#lockthread

Be honest dude, was a pretty stupid question in the first place.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    One lifestyle change suggestion i read from a DR suggested eating your frits before 2pm so your body has time to burn off the carbs before you go to be
    Many Fruit takes the least time (out of all foods) to be digested - average 45 minutes to fully digest.

No need to worry about restricting eating fruit before 2pm ever.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with fruit. Eat away :-)
  • djoakes2
    djoakes2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I started a routine on May 26th using guidelines set forth in Paul "PJ" James book, Take It Off, Keep It Off. It's a 90 day program to reach your weight and fat loss goals. While I have not exactly followed his program, I have adopted his diet plan. I've been eating clean foods without fruit and have a cardio and weight training schedule. I'm entering my 7th week and have lost 25 lbs. His take on the fruit thing is that once you have control over your eating habits, at the point where you are at 75% of your goal weight, you should start introducing fruits - especially strawberries and blueberries. My trainer at the gym also says that a fruit portion per day is fine also. Hope this helps. There will always be pros and cons to everything re: diet and exercise.
  • anthonysig
    anthonysig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Berries are fine. Limit other fruits.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue that prevents you from eating fruit, there is nothing wrong with it. It's a great way to get in the nutrients you need naturally! I typically eat berries, apples, oranges, bananas and melon. YUM.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I love how some quote exceptions as if it's the rule. Yes, clearly the health problem in America (and around the world) is due to our level of fruit intake. /sarcasm

Enjoy your strawberries for breakfast ... anybody that tells you to eliminate fruit outside 'real' medical conditions or allergies is being ridiculous. Do I recommend eating a 6 pints of strawberries a day ... umm ... no.

Dang! Do you know, I could manage that though pmsl, don't think I will mind :laugh:
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that was saying that fruit was nutrient dense, so eat the fruit and throw away the man made junk that is low on nutrition.