Fruit: Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit in moderation, and aim for 2 per day. Berries in the morning, citrus as a snack in the afternoon - not too late in the day.

It fills a sweet need with natural sugars and is better than chocolate or ice cream.

I think one small bowl of strawberries is not going to hinder your goals.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I say eat the fruit. I typically eat about 3 bananas and about 6 to 12 strawberries a day, but I will eat just about any fruit. I recently tried mangos for the first time and found they taste quite good. Fruit is truely awesome.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Eat fruits and dont worry about the sugar they contain. Just make sure they fit in your carb macros
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    it's a little sad that people consider fruit possible enemies. very sad.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I guess I come from the "old school". I've always been told fruits and veggies are good for you! As with any thingh though, you have to limit your calories.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    One lifestyle change suggestion i read from a DR suggested eating your frits before 2pm so your body has time to burn off the carbs before you go to be

This is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what time you eat your food.

Fruit is good for you. Just stay under your calorie limit and reach your macro/micro goals and you'll be fine.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I always think calling any food a "super" food is ridiculous, but this slide show was on Yahoo! this morning: http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/23-superfruits-you-need-now#0
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    They say its because they have sugars. Albeit, natural sugars, but to a lot of people any sugar is BAD.

Why are you so concerned about what others think?! Fruit is nutritious, it contains fiber and many other things that are great for you. If you want to eat strawberries, eat strawberries. Don't overthink it!
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I like to think of fruit as "natures candy." as a treat every now and then.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Fruit, YES! I have fruit every day. Love it!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I cut all fruit from my diet except the occasional banana ( with peanut butter on wheat toast)
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Like everything else...it is fine in moderation. I personally go for berries...which I see you like also. They are one of the fruits with a low sugar content. Personally, I have problems with yeast and avoid dense and sugar infested fruits like bananas and apples and make sure to take a multi-vitamin to get the potassium I need. To each's own, but I say keep doing what you are doing if it is working for you, and don't listen to everything your trainer tells you. They get paid to put ideas in your head and often impose their own philosphies on food onto you.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert so I can only say this... In my world, fruit was intended to be eaten and I eat it!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    fruit is fine. I eat fruit, just not all day, and over-abundance of anything isnt good. Fruit is just fine. Dont binge on it, or you will be the king of the porceline throan,:wink:
  • BackinShape001
    Options
    Fruits are good for you period. So YES, do eat them
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    This is my opinion so you can take it or leave it but there should be absolutely no reason to cut out fruits and vegetables when they are in their natural state. Anything in it's natural state is healthy. Strawberries have sugars but they are natural sugars. Vegetables also have natural sugars. Your body can process natural sugars. The sugars you should avoid would be artificial sugars, refined, processed, or any kind of sugar not in its natural state.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat fruit, it is sooo good for you!

14877786.png
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    if you want some official take on whether Fruit is good for you look here:

http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/fruit/en/

I reckon the World Health Organisation has access to some proper scientist who know what they are talking about.

As far as Fruit sugar is concerned you need to understand the difference between Intrinsic and Extrinsic sugar. The MyfitnessPal limit on sugar is only really meant to be for extrinsic sugar, unfortunately no food labeling actually breaks the sugar down into different sections so it's hard to monitor. You just have to be sensible. The 5 Fruit/Vegetables a day is a good target and you shouldn't concern yourself with the sugar in them. Though fruit juice is a different matter as the sugar has been extracted from the fibre of the fruit so it is really extrinsic.
  • apehl
    apehl Posts: 13
    Options
    Fire your trainer.

Ha...agree.
  • ctdeanks
    ctdeanks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Anyone telling you not to eat fruit is misguided at best, what any diet needs is BALANCED nutrition....including fruits.