Does myfitnesspal work?

Options
I have tried EVERY diet out there. I am starting to believe that simple diet and exercise is the answer. I lost 30 lbs slowly last year. I would exercise everyday but I eat like a horse. I did it all, adkins, lemonade cleanse, juicing, diet pills, etc. But, I know realize that the best way is portion control and tracking calories (I just started this today) I am going to be serious and track EVERYTHING. So, I would like to hear stories of people who have been using myfitnesspal. When did you begin? How much have you lost?

Replies

• lacensuch
    lacensuch Posts: 36
    Options
    I have gained and lost weight throughout my adult life. The time that I was really successful (lost 60 pounds) was when I wrote down everything I consumed. I was faithful about this and lost the weight at a consistent rate. It took me about 10 months. That was 5 years ago. I had some health problems (neck surgery) and was depressed because of the pain I was in. Eating was my solace. I gained over half of it back. I got to a point where I had to stop my bad habits and get back on the wagon of a better way of eating. I am older now and find the weight isn't coming off as fast as I want it to, but slow and steady is how I now have to look at it. I do write all things down. It keeps me honest and I am happy.

Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • victoriajh
    victoriajh Posts: 12
    Options
    YES!! but YOU have to comitt to it to- as pp said- write down everything that you eat-
    people come up to me all the time as aksi me what i did- simple i say- ate less moved more- they dont seem happy with that answer becasue they want an easy fix- it took me 9 months to loose 35 pounds
    - but it was worth it!!
    good luck!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How do you comitt?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Yup it works. Its not a diet. Its a lifestyle change.
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes. For me as a woman hitting menopause with a super pokey metabolism, it is slow but it is the only thing I have ever had success with. I have to log it all and keep at it day after day but it does work!
  • saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    From my experience, YES! MFP definately works. It's not necessarily a diet, but more of a lifestyle change. MFP helps you by visually seeing what you are putting into your body. I struggled with my weight basically my entire life. Hate to say it, but I got to an overweight weight (167.2lbs to be exact) by the end of my freshman year of college. Once I got home, I dropped a couple just because I wasn't eating campus crap. I started MFP May 12th at 165lbs (5'7" if that helps) and as of today (2 months later), by just exercising and counting calories, I am at 153.8lbs! Sure, it's a lot of work, because you have to be conscious of what you are doing, but definately worth it (well, for me it is!). If you want to add me for motivation and support, feel free to!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I lost 30 lb in one year for my wedding and an Ironman. It has worked for me! You just need to stay accountable!!

But I definitely needed to edit DOWN the calories burned. MFP estimated way too high for me. I got a BodyMedia FIT to actually see what I was burning.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    calorie counting works. myfitnesspal is a tool to help you count calories.
  • MeltingCandlewax
    MeltingCandlewax Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Amen! I agree it is a lifestyle change it is not a diet.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It works so long as you continue to track - that's my only problem with it.
    I almost feel like you'd have to count calories for the rest of your life to remain successful.

On the plus side you do get a good idea of what you should and shouldn't eat (and what contains what), but I find for those who eat whatever they want, but hold back on calories taken in, if they stop counting, then the weight comes back on.

No doubt it works while you're doing it though.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I started mfp 37 pounds ago. it's the best tool i have found. It only works as hard as you do. your diary can't tell if you cheat, but your body sure can.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anything will work as long as you stay within your calorie goal and a little exercise.
  • moniquepreher
    Options
    That is great! 60 lbs in 10 months? That is a transformation in under a year! Thank you for sharing :)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It works if you use it, and use it honestly. Its not a diet, but it is a great aid, its a place where you can learn what your eating and how much you need to move to lose weight, or gain, or maintain, whatever your goal is. I've been using it 5 weeks, lost 12 lbs so far.
  • verdin917
    verdin917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    this is the only thing that has ever worked for me I love it. You must track everything u eat, so u can see what goes in your body. I was shocked when I first started seeing how i was eating i see why i had gained so much weight. it's been 4 months for me and 24lbs gone!!!! I can't say enough about mfp if u trully dedicate yourself to sticking to it. Lots of luck and remember "if u bite it u write it and u never ever stop." someone wrote that and I live by that quote.
  • moniquepreher
    Options
    You're right! It is a simple solution but not overnight. That is what I am coping with now. I want 15 lbs in a month thing but I know it is not efficient. Thank you for your advice!
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is awesome and it deff works, I am hooked and a living testament!!! :bigsmile: feel free to friend me~! Its so awesome the accountability and the support!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • moniquepreher
    Options
    Indeed it is :)
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    The question isn't really "Does myfitnesspal work?" It's more "Are you willing to commit yourself to the change you've set forth to accomplish?" If the answer is "yes", then yes, MFP works. You have to be diligent, realize that the change you're making isn't going to be a quick fix, and it will be almost impossible to go back to the old way if you want to maintain your "new" body.

One of my keys is thinking long-term. I'm doing all this work now, but I'm trying to establish it as a habit as I grow older. I'm in my prime, but soon my metabolism is going to slow down, among other changes, and I want to be able to maintain this lifestyle to stay healthy (and look good :P) for my future husband, whoever he may be, and my family.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is not a panacea. It is a great tool to help you with your goals. But by itself? No, it won't make you lose one ounce. It does help you keep track of things, and show you what you are eating, etc. But if you don't take what it tells you and modify your life, then it won't help.

For me, being able to really track my calories easy (via my phone) has helped me tremendously. It allows me at a glance to really see what I have eaten that day. But you have to be vigilant and track everything. If you do, I guarantee it will be a lot easier to see what you are really doing day to day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!