Does myfitnesspal work?

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Yup it works. Its not a diet. Its a lifestyle change.
    This. So much of this. MFP helps you keep track of what you're doing. The "what you're doing" can't be a fad diet or something you can't live with for the rest of your life, or you'll just roll right back where you started from.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Fad diets NEVER work in the long run. MFP won't work either if you don't put in effort. This isn't a magical weight loss plan. This is just a forum to log in what you eat, how much you exercise. I joined in May 2011 but haven't put in any effort until about a month ago. Since then, I've actually started tracking what I eat and, just by reducing my calories and stepping up exercise, I've lost 5 pounds. You will never lose weight if you don't eat less/exercise more. Really just that simple.
  • NeverGoinBack2012
    Options
    MFP is all about accountability. You record what you eat. I have a friend who has no clue what she's consuming in terms of volume and calories. She wonders why she's not losing. She refuses to write it down. It's funny...when you see it in black and white, it cannot be ignored. I was appalled a week ago when I decided to enjoy a piece of birthday cake (Walmart Carrot Cake) how many calories was in one slice!!! If you aren't willing to measure accurately, be honest about it, and write it down (record it in MFP), then you aren't serioius about getting real with yourself and your weight. Eating is something we have to do to sustain our body. Many of us on here simply eat too much and don't move at all. Is it rational to think we can lose weight when we are taking in more fuel than our body really needs and not using it up by exercising and moving around? Of course we are fat! I love how MFP gives me a tool to get real about my food intake and provides a network of people I can get encouragement from and give encouragement to. That's the best community you can ask for in this quest to get healthy! So yeah, it works.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It works with you if you work with it.
  • 1n2m3g
    1n2m3g Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    calorie counting works. myfitnesspal is a tool to help you count calories.

^This
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes it does! Each pound I have lost is since starting MFP in July '11.

Good luck to you in your journey to a healthier you! :flowerforyou:
  • Bambi0ne
    Bambi0ne Posts: 16
    Options
    I tried every diet for 24 years, nothing worked for the long haul. I found out that my thyroid was to blame. Even tho I had blood test that said the levels were with in the normal range, my thyroid would work for a while then stop. I went on synthroid last August and started MPF February 23rd. so far I have lost 34 pounds. I found that tracking what I was eating made me realize that I was starving myself all day then junking it out at night. Now I eat a lot of food all day . More than I have ever eaten!!! BUT its mostly good body building food. I try to stay away from anything in a box. If I feel like I need something like a treat I try to pick out something that will not kill my diet for the day. Add me as a friend if you want. Sometimes its is good to see how someone else eats. Good luck!!!
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you use it, if you are just using it to track food and exercise and keep with in the parameters it suggests you shouldn't have any trouble.

You may want to give yourself a "cheat" meal once a week.... not a cheat day, but a cheat meal where you eat something that you have really been craving... outside of that try to eat the foods that keep you within the goal amounts given.... if you are eating to much sugar, or carbs that maybe what is keeping you from losing the weight.... I know it has done it to me!

Good luck and god speed!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who also tried everything like you and it failed! The best thing that ever happened to me is MFP, and what perfect timing too. I had just made a choice to change for good when I joined INShape, my spin class teacher told me that working out wasnt enough and that I should join MFP, so I did on April 6, 2012 and have been achieving my goals. I've lost 25lbs so far, and I won't quit. Plus you have the support from your friends which is wonderful!!!!
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Indeed it does, just read through some of the success stories - inspirational :)
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'm a professional yo-yo dieter. every year for the last 10 years or so (my adult life) i have lost weight (10-35 pounds) in the spring and gained it all back (and some!) by the end of the year. this is no way to live. i have two wardrobes.

this year, i'm using MFP religiously and just trying to lose the weight slowly. i'm down 27 pounds total, 22 of those since march 19 of this year. slowly but surely.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really can -- Of course as with anything it depends upon accurately recording your activity and your intake. Portion size is often over estimated and exercise level can often be the same way. Best wishes on your journey ... Persevere!
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works is olld fashion diet and exercise which is why MFP works. I lost 17 pounds from llast March to llast October. I have maintained and fluctuated a few pounds. But all in all it works!!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    How does MFP work? For me:

1. Eat clean
    2. Meet your calorie goals, don't fall below them
    3. Set your goals to lose 1lb/week unless otherwise advised by a doctor
    4. Log every bite--if you are tasting during cooking chew gum or just log each taste.
    5. Keep your routine varied, try something new: Zumba, martial arts, body combat, Tai Chi, power yoga...keep your body confused and your mind from getting bored.

I reached my goals in September. I also read Everyday Food magazine (makes it easier to log--nutrition info included), www.dailygarnish.com, and Whole Living Magazine. You can get free recipes on all of their websites.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options

This is so true. One of the biggest hurdles is first changing the way your mind thinks... set out a plan for yourself and then commit to it.
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    YES, IF YOU ARE TRUTHFUL AND FAITHFUL IN YOUR FOOD AND EXERCISE DIARIES.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yes it works as long as you work for it! No one can do it for you. I truly believe that its changing the way I look at food. I know what I'm putting into my body and its become a lifestyle instead of a diet. It definitely works. You just have to want it.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If used correctly, yes. I have the app on my phone and have to log everything. I officially started 5/18/12 and am down 19 lbs. Each person is different though. One tip I learned is to drink tons of water. Especially in the begining in helped me to stay full. Even now if I have a bad day (let's be honest, we all live and are human), as long as I increase my water intake, I'm good to go. I did Atkins about 7 years ago and did great with dropping 70 lbs but gained it all back plus some. Now with being a little older and I hope, smarter, I want a lifestyle change to do this the healthy way. MFP also brought to light a lot of foods that I thought were healthy but really aren't. I also use the recipe calculator a lot on here. With making meals at home mostly, this helps immensely. Good luck!!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    MFP is the best thing i have ever done. diets have always been a part of my life, but never lost more than 15 lbs.
    fad diets just don't work. the support system on here is awesome, and so are the people. i find its a learning system.....how to eat smart, excercise, and you learn what works for you and what doesn't. but, like any weightloss, you have to be committed.
    i don't even think of it as a diet anymore, but a whole new way of eating for life. its not hard. so many awesome recipes on here .
    i think the key to it all is excercise.....you really need to excercise to get any really good results.
    good luck with your weightloss journey!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!