Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles- The Continuation

Options

Replies

• The_Nameless_One
    The_Nameless_One Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    (I'm posting mostly to make sure I can find this later)

I'll give this a go. I don't eat pasta too often, but when I do its spaghetti, mac & cheese, or a BBQ ramen I really like. Maybe I can recreate the ramen, not so sure about the other two ways I eat noodles. Texture is my food demon, especially anything new.

edit/ For the dry-fry on high. Do you have a more specific temp? What can I set my oven at?
  • zephyr0318
    zephyr0318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I need to go pick some up again. They are one of the best very low-cal foods imo. Dry frying them is kind of a pain since it takes a while. I normally boil them like the instructions says so it adds even more prep time.
  • TheNamelessOnesWife
    TheNamelessOnesWife Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just tried these, as far as I know it's the first time I've had these noodles. I used a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for dry frying them. I didn't time it for 8 minutes, so I might not have, have them on high heat for that long. I was worried about burning them, but with the oil that didn't seem to be an issue. Then I added shrimp and teriyaki sauce.

The texture wasn't quite like a wheat noodle, but it tasted fine on its own before I even added sauce and shrimp. Overall a nice experiment. I just need to find a place to get them for cheaper than $3 a bag. All the Asian stores I went too did not have these noodles. Apparently Trader Joe's has them, so I'll check their prices.
  • LaurenHoeben
    Options
    Tried them for the first time last night. OMG. I fooled my boyfriend in to thinking it was real pasta. I am amazed!!!

I made an alfredo using garlic and herb light Laughing Cow Cheese, shrimp, garlic, mushrooms, brocolli, green bell pepper and the shirataki noodles. I rinsed those noodles about 3000 times just to be sure the smell was gone haha.

Whatever I did, I did it right lol!!! Everyone loved it and I had a huge portion that I couldn't even finish all for under 350 calories. I felt like I was cheating! Will be making again for sure!!
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have got to try these!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I split my meals into a higher carb/lo fat meal and a higher fat/lo carb meal each day - but I've used these when I wanted both 'noodles' for one meal and potato or other starch carbs for the other meal. I love them - works like a charm. Also I use the tofu noodles when I make some regular pasta for my DH as I have to be gluten free. That way I don't have two pots going with two kinds of pasta which is just a pain.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    For anyone trying them, keep an open mind. They smell absolutely rancid when you open them. You MUST rinse them and WELL. Otherwise that smell will stick even after cooking.

They taste just alright as a noodle substitute in tuna noodle casserole. They're mediocre with cheese. I like them best with pizza sauce, some ground beef or veggie crumbles, pepperoni, and mushrooms/zucchini/other random veggies.

The texture is weird. VERY WEIRD. Everyone always tells me I should cook them a different way. I've tried multiple ways. The texture is always weird. But if you can get past that, the taste is mediocre. At best. They are filling. So, there's that.

Honestly, I recommend spaghetti squash instead if you want a noodle substitute. While spaghetti squash isn't 'noodly' and doesn't twirl on your fork like these do, it has kind of a sweet taste and taste great in many dishes where you would normally use noodles (and only has about 35 calories per cup). However, shirataki noodles aren't *too* bad if you want something that can be twirled or slurped or... that actually kind of feels like eating pasta.

Kind of.
  • oblair
    oblair Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No super healthy but I am making my own hummus now and its so easy.
    2 drained tins of chick peas
    100ml of olive oil
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1.5-2 lemons juiced
    1 clove of garlic
    blended
    then salt and pepper to taste
    a roasted red pepper works a treat but is not mandatory
  • foodhead1
    foodhead1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow I came upon this post purely by accident and glad it was there to find, who knew that this "noodle" could be fried !?
    Several years ago I tried using Shiratake and Tofu noodles both were useful in loosing weight but because they were "wet" and had to be "drained well" was becoming to labor intensive for quick meals and the texture could get tiresome.
    Will be trying "dry fried" and then adding goodies on top pronto.

Thanks, S.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Bump:-) thank you!
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I saw this. I've had a couple of 200g packs of these in the cupboard for a while and was late today so had no time to plan lunch. I found a bunch of random ingredients in the fridge and put them together to make the tastiest 145 calorie lunch I've ever had!
    Stuffed now and happy :smile:
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump wil definitely be trying these soon. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    It was so strange. I expected rubbery as that's what people complained about and the first 2 mouthfuls were just that. Then it just became a pleasure!

The tastes of your sauce is all you taste. Wonderful :laugh:

I needed to rinse them over and over to get rid of the strange smell. But at last they smelled ok.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    And 3 hours later I'm still stuffed :bigsmile:
  • sissysoso
    sissysoso Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KimchiKiller
    KimchiKiller Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm looking for these noodles tonight when I go grocery shopping, definitely want to try making the alfredo sauce with laughing cow cheese.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't like them because of the texture and I don't like the heavy feeling in my stomach after I eat them.

I'd rather make zucchini noodles.
  • knekno
    knekno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump