Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles- The Continuation

Options

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you wash them really well they don't have a fishy taste! I rinsed mine thoroughly and boiled them and I didn't notice any fishy taste.

I stir fried mine with chineese broccoli, scallions, red pepper and ginger and topped it with a sauce made from sesame oil, duck sauce and a little bit of soy sauce and crushed red pepper. I topped it with toasted sesame seeds and crushed peanuts. It was pretty awesome

I used the Tofu kind. It was 80 calories for the entire bag of noddles. The sauce was kind of calorie heavy because of the sesame oil but I was hoping that it was kind of like olive oil and somewhat healthy for you, either way it was really good.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to try these but my local stockist is always sold out!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ok, probably a really stupid question, but are these noodles the same ones that most Asian "fast food" restaurants or buffets use in their noodles(maybe it's called chow mein??) They have a weird brown/yellowish look and they are seasoned but they have a very strange consistency similar to what you all are describing. I hope someone knows the type of noodles I am talking about. lol They are usually cooked with bean sprouts in them I believe.
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ok, probably a really stupid question, but are these noodles the same ones that most Asian "fast food" restaurants or buffets use in their noodles(maybe it's called chow mein??) They have a weird brown/yellowish look and they are seasoned but they have a very strange consistency similar to what you all are describing. I hope someone knows the type of noodles I am talking about. lol They are usually cooked with bean sprouts in them I believe.

These noodles are used in sukiyaki but I haven't seen them on Asian buffets.
  • tschaff04
    Options
    Thanks! Well I think I have seen them at Kroger so I will have to try to find them and give them a try. I don't eat Tofu so I hope I can find the other type.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Are these the noodles used in the Korean Dish Jap Chae?:

I believe they are sweet potato noodles, but for all I know they could be yam. EIther way, Bumping so I can try these out!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I believe what your talking about is a mass produced *Lo Mein* noodle. Not the same.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, thanks OP!

I bought a pack today to use with turkey soup since my fam was going to use standard pasta and I've currently cut those out of my repertoire as they are calorie guzzlers.

Used a pack of Yuho Yam Noodles (Konjac Shirataki Strip) from the Asian section of my grocery store - 69 cents for a 200 gram wet weight pack.

Did the dry fry method as per Chele's instructions and these were a great substitute for noodles in my soup. I may have to play around with the prep method to get a texture I like for stir fry's, but as a soup noodle they are fng awesome.

Question for Chele the expert - how much water weight should the dry fry evaporate? I took the 200 gram pack, rinsed and drained down to ~ 125 grams wet noodles ---- after the dry fry they were down to 55 grams but not still a bit chewy.

Just curious if you've weighed them after dry frying so I know what I should be aiming for to get a "bone dry" noodle.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump , I'm gonna go to the asian supermarket near my work tomorrow and see if they have these, thanks for sharing !
  • chantalM613
    chantalM613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have tried these before and find them so-so. The calories in the tofu kind arent a big deal! I am definitely going to try the dry fry idea! Thanks!!!

PS. can someone please tell me how you post a topic ... I don't see any button that lets you start a message board post...?!?!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Finally tried them! I really like! I am def gonna get more and make stuff up for lunch etc
  • MELLY319
    MELLY319 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i just wish the texture was a little bit different
  • Shelly_here
    Shelly_here Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    what a great post, thanks!
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! Can't wait to get my hands on some and try them!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    BUMP Thank you can't wait to try :flowerforyou:
  • tschaff04
    Options
    I still haven't been able to find these to try them out.. :( Our Kroger doesn't have them.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Bump to show a friend