Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles- The Continuation

Options

Replies

• DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Last night - ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, spring onion (scallions), miso, cabbage, mushrooms , throw in some shirataki.

HUGE delicious FILLING asian style broth for less than 100 cal.
    Great for when you need filling up for very few cal, but worryingly low in nutiritional value. I was full after a 100cal dinner - not good for everyday.
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First, I want to say, Thank You Chelle for introducing me to this wonderful low calorie pasta swap. I have been reading your posts and blog and debated for the longest time to try. I am so glad I did.

Second, I wanted to share with you my favorite recipe...Linguini and Clam Sauce. I grew up in Maine so I am a seafood FREAK! I really missed my pasta dishes on my diet so when you discussed these gems I knew I had to try this:

2 bags of House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccini Noodles...rinsed and dry fried
    Sprinkle on a little garlic powder and Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasonings as they dry fry
    Add 1 can of drained clams (Your choice, minced, chopped, whole baby) reserving 1 TBS of the liquid

In a Microwavable bowl:
    1 TBS of the reserved clam liquid
    2 wedges of your favorite Laughing Cow Cheese
    Nuke for 15 seconds to soften the cheese.
    Mix and add 1 TBS sour cream

Add this mixture to the pan of noodles and clams and toss together till everything is covered.

268 Calories, 22 carbs, 8 fat, 23 protein, 1608 Sodium, 8 fiber
    This is for the ENTIRE PAN! I could not eat the whole thing. I was stuffed half way through.

I have also done this with 6 ounces of Shrimp as a kind of "Alfredo" using 1 TBS water in place of the clam liquid.
    285 Calories, 14 carbs, 7 fat, 41 protein, 748 Sodium, 8 fiber, again for the ENTIRE PAN!

Again, Thank You and Enjoy!!!
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I live in MAINE. If there was a nowhere, that's where I am. There's no Asian Markets for hours, there's a couple small natural food centers, which aren't great for varity or anything so "exotic", and so I'm limited to shopping online. Everyting I've found online is sooo expensive once you've added in the shipping! Is there a website you would reccomend? I just want 1 or two packages just to try first before I spend the big $$$ on someting I would'nt eat you know... Any help someone pls???
    Do you have a "Jewel Osco" or "Whole Foods" near you? Both those stores sell Miracle Noodles.
    Closest thing to whole foods is the Natural living center, with no luck.

In Maine the store locations you might be able to locate these are Shaw's, Price Chopper, or Hannaford's. You might want to look in the health food refrigeration section. Another option might be to order on Amazon.com which is where I order my fettuccini and macaroni forms as the only ones I can get in my grocery are the spaghetti.

I went back to the Natural Living Center.... they had some this time!!!!! YAY... They were really expensive, over $3 a bag... But tell me why am I soooo ridiculously excited to try them???? My husband is full blood Italian and it's been awhile since we had pasta....
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    First, I want to say, Thank You Chelle for introducing me to this wonderful low calorie pasta swap. I have been reading your posts and blog and debated for the longest time to try. I am so glad I did.

Second, I wanted to share with you my favorite recipe...Linguini and Clam Sauce. I grew up in Maine so I am a seafood FREAK! I really missed my pasta dishes on my diet so when you discussed these gems I knew I had to try this:

2 bags of House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccini Noodles...rinsed and dry fried
    Sprinkle on a little garlic powder and Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasonings as they dry fry
    Add 1 can of drained clams (Your choice, minced, chopped, whole baby) reserving 1 TBS of the liquid

In a Microwavable bowl:
    1 TBS of the reserved clam liquid
    2 wedges of your favorite Laughing Cow Cheese
    Nuke for 15 seconds to soften the cheese.
    Mix and add 1 TBS sour cream

Add this mixture to the pan of noodles and clams and toss together till everything is covered.

268 Calories, 22 carbs, 8 fat, 23 protein, 1608 Sodium, 8 fiber
    This is for the ENTIRE PAN! I could not eat the whole thing. I was stuffed half way through.

I have also done this with 6 ounces of Shrimp as a kind of "Alfredo" using 1 TBS water in place of the clam liquid.
    285 Calories, 14 carbs, 7 fat, 41 protein, 748 Sodium, 8 fiber, again for the ENTIRE PAN!

Again, Thank You and Enjoy!!!

Wow! I can't wait to try this! Thanks!

-Chelle
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited, my Jewel had Nooodles when I checked their healthfood section - they look like a different brand of shirataki because again, they're yam noodles! They're $3/pack so I bought one to try and if I like them I'll hunt for cheaper ones. So excited I can't even decide what to try yet!
  • amiramira
    amiramira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One thing about shirataki noodles is they're easy to 'hide' in foods if you just want to make meals more filling. I experimented with this by chopping the angel hair type into really small pieces after rinsing for a long time. Then I dry roasted them on a pan (no oil added). After they seemed 'dry' enough, I added them to a veggie and onion omelet and fed it to my husband. Keep in mind, I had tried to get him to eat shirataki before and he didn't like them.

Well, my treacherous ways worked. The man ate the omelet and loved it. Didn't even notice them.

And he was satisfied for the rest of the day until lunchtime that he didn't feel the need to snack on anything grubby/greasy the whole time he was watching pre-season football stuff. Success!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I'm so excited, my Jewel had Nooodles when I checked their healthfood section - they look like a different brand of shirataki because again, they're yam noodles! They're $3/pack so I bought one to try and if I like them I'll hunt for cheaper ones. So excited I can't even decide what to try yet!

Wow, that's about twice what they should cost!

If you like them you might decide to pick up a case or two while you're traveling. They have long expiration dates and the non-tofu ones usually don't have to be refrigerated.

They're not too hard to find for $1.49 or less.

Good luck!

-Chelle
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Wow, that's about twice what they should cost!

If you like them you might decide to pick up a case or two while you're traveling. They have long expiration dates and the non-tofu ones usually don't have to be refrigerated.

They're not too hard to find for $1.49 or less.

Good luck!

-Chelle

Oh I know, but it was better than spending $30 on a case and figuring out I couldn't actually stomach them for some reason.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I love these noodles and am so glad they are around. I can eat the whole thing and am full and it is good for me :bigsmile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Last night - ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, spring onion (scallions), miso, cabbage, mushrooms , throw in some shirataki.

HUGE delicious FILLING asian style broth for less than 100 cal.
    Great for when you need filling up for very few cal, but worryingly low in nutiritional value. I was full after a 100cal dinner - not good for everyday.

Think of the fibre from the noodles and veggies, it's not a totally worthless meal nutritionally. If you throw in some lean protein it's quite a good meal actually.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    PLEASE HELP!!
    I love shirataki noodles they are fantastic
    Which is why I was hoping something else was to blame for this but I have trialled it and unfortunately
    THEY MaKE ME VERY ILL!!
    It's fine when I'm eating them, but regardless of if I have them at lunch or dinner they. Make me feel bloated and nauseous all night.
    I've tried just having smaller amount but I'm
    Cutting back to the point where it's barely even half a meal and it's still making me sick.
    Usually I don't actually throw up from it, but sometimes I wish I just could to take the horrible feeling away :(
    I think I'm going to have to give them up :(
  • finallychelle
    Options
    PLEASE HELP!!
    I love shirataki noodles they are fantastic
    Which is why I was hoping something else was to blame for this but I have trialled it and unfortunately
    THEY MaKE ME VERY ILL!!
    It's fine when I'm eating them, but regardless of if I have them at lunch or dinner they. Make me feel bloated and nauseous all night.
    I've tried just having smaller amount but I'm
    Cutting back to the point where it's barely even half a meal and it's still making me sick.
    Usually I don't actually throw up from it, but sometimes I wish I just could to take the horrible feeling away :(
    I think I'm going to have to give them up :(

I've read that they make some people gaseous-- like cabbage and legumes. What if you tried Beano?

--gaseousevenwithoutshiratakichelle
  • ebony__
    Options
    Hmm although there's some bloatedness it doesn't really make me feel gassy it's more like the feeling is nausea and pain in my chest from my throat down to my stomach.
    But I'll give it a go because Ill try anything because I really love them.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Hmm although there's some bloatedness it doesn't really make me feel gassy it's more like the feeling is nausea and pain in my chest from my throat down to my stomach.
    But I'll give it a go because Ill try anything because I really love them.

Wow! I get notes about shirataki noodles every day-- and that's a first.

I'll do some Googling.

-C
  • ebony__
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, you obviously have a great wealth of knowledge that's helpful to people :)
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, you obviously have a great wealth of knowledge that's helpful to people :)

Do you eat the tofu shirataki or plain shirataki noodles? I've read that some people have issues with tofu products. Perhaps you could change to the non-tofu ones if you're not eating those already. It would be worth a try.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Just to be even more confusing and annoying I'm already eating the plain ones.
    I'm going to try eating some earlier in the day and see if that helps.

Apart from my unfortunate side affects they really do seem like a diet miracle.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are allergic to them? Not sure I'd keep eating them if they made me ill.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Seems to be a weird side affect for an allergy but yeah perhaps some kind of intolerance
  • spark409
    spark409 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump