Do you really think logging in every day to MFP helps?

Options

Replies

• UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    YES!! I've never been really overweight, just gained a few extra pounds after menopause. I lost nearly 20 pounds last year using this!! This was the ONLY way I could drop those pounds.

I have a 100K (62 miles) in October and decided I'd like to drop 5 to 10 pounds before the race, basically to lighten the pounding for all of those hours!! Sooooo.... now I'm back at it because, even though I run crazy mileage, logging my food intake is the only way I can lose weight! :drinker:
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would have to say in my case.. YES...I am a very motivated person in every aspect but my weight...I had begun my weight lost goal in January, with only seven pounds lost.

I found this site by accident .. I was looking for something that would track my sodium intake daily... Viola! here it was and more...

Since joining here I have lost 12 lbs in 36 days, I am down one blood pressure med. I am sleeping better, feeling better and work 6 out of 7 days a week.

so I think Yes I believe logging helps because it gives me the discipline I need with food and nutrition.

Lynda:glasses:
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Definately. Maybe I am a bit too obsessed right now...but when I wasn't, I was slowly seeing that weight creep come on me. So yes, it helps. It also opened my eyes to how much I used to eat in the past. Even when I thought I was eating healthy and exercising like a madwoman almost every day. I was much more obsessed of keeping track of my workouts than calories back then and kept on failing. Now it's opposite...weight is under control.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Dont think I would be successful with out it!!
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have to log what I eat then I really do think about what it is I'm eating! If I really want to have to try and juggle my cal for pizza or something bad for me! So I'd say yes lost 25lbs logging this crap!!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES

I logged everyday, lost weight. Thought I had it under control, stopped logging. Still worked out, but didn't log. 4 months later, same weight.

Started logging again, down 30 lbs and 7 sizes.

it helps lol.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Before I started this, I was eating 400 to 500 calories over every day. Now that I'm keeping track, I'm losing the weight. Plus my friends hold me accountable for what I eat.
  • SwissRiviera
    Options
    It really helps to keep us accountable. Now, it is not only to ourselves, it's our myp friends as well. You can't fib when you track your food and exercise; you see the truth glowing at you!
  • loissiegel
    Options
    Absolutely! When I think about wanting something, I think about what it will look like on MFP and usually decide against it.
  • vanessagoh
    vanessagoh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    absolutely!

it made me realise what junk food is actually doing to the body, and i also become more conscious of the food that i eat nowadays. especially with regard to processed food and all the sodium and cholestorol and sugar level content.

so yes, it definitely helps!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    yes! I pay way more attention to what I'm putting in my mouth when I know I have to log it!
  • misao1994
    Options
    Yeah, if not I'm not as dependable or accountable for my work outs or food intake. It keeps me on target.
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Without a doubt. And its EASY too. I used to LOG on PAPER. Can you imagine? And I carried a book with me to get the calories -I had to look them up in the index and then hand-calculate the stuff in, totaling it at the end. It DID work, but what a pain. It got OLD.

This is so fantabulous in comparison.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As long as you are honest about your diet and exercise, then yes. I signed up 2 years ago and didn't enter consistently. If I ate something "bad" then I would just stop entering for the rest of the day. Two months ago, I decided to be completely open and honest about my food intake and exercise. So far, I've lost about 17 lbs and trying to keep it going.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    100% yes. as soon as I stopped logging, I put back on 20 pounds, the trick now, how to start logging again and get the motivation I had.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Definitely, without a doubt!! Without this site, I would go back to writing everything down in a journal & I was never as accurate as I am here! I love MFP!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If you are unaware of the calorie content of foods, how much you can eat, and want to keep yourself accountable, it can be quite helpful.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I think that the daily logging of my food and exercise helps me keep mon track. It also makes the process more fun. I am more active and pay more attention to my food and exercises by filling out the diaries.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you"know" what you are doing yes..
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food anymore, unless I'm eating completely news foods, usually because I'm traveling in a new country. However, I still log on to MFP every day. Why?

1 - Enjoy the community. Some really great people here. Kind, smart, funny, etc.

2 - Forums can be educational, although they are also filled with lots of bro-science. Key is doing your own research, but it often starts here. For example, my exercise program has changed radically thanks to MFP. More heavy lifting, using the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I did not make this change lightly. Only after a ton of research from a variety of sources. But the impetus for this change began here.

3 - I now have a good feel for my daily calorie intake, so logging is superfluous. But this is only because I logged everything daily for a few months. However, about once every other week I will still log, almost always when I find myself eating nontypical (for me) foods. Even though one day of eating just about anything won't really effect me, I want to make sure I understand the impact of anything that gets into my diet. All macro nutrients, not just calories.

4 - It's highly motivational. I've lost a lot of weight and look and feel so much better than before. But I can't really discuss it with anyone. It's not really an appropriate topic in most cases, unless someone specifically asks. But it's the raison d'être of MFP, so I can easily post a pic showing weight loss, or muscle gain. Getting feedback (granted, a bit biased, because it's from friends here) is so motivational. I'm certainly not going to post a pic on LinkedIn or even Facebook detailing my body transformation... :-)

5. Occasionally there is a thread with ladies in swimsuits. Those are quite nice. That, alone, is worth a daily log (no pun intended).

--P