How do you stop that late night eating? :(

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Show me the scientific study that shows that you shouldn't eat after a certain time. I think that is a myth.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Have more sex...keeps your mind occupied.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Planning for it would be the best option, but you could also go to sleep or whiten your teeth. You can't eat with teeth whitening strips on, & you have to brush your teeth afterwards, so usually by then you don't crave food anymore.
  • fbernas
    fbernas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a few glasses of mineral water. The carbonation helps suppress your appetite and if that doesn't work you may have to eat something fresh and natural but whatever you do, stay away from anything processed. Hope this helps.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a manicure.

I'd be thrilled to hear how that solves nocturnal carb cravings... :huh:

lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'm eating now!!! I don't worry about it since it still fits into my daily calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned since I admit I haven't read the whole thread, but when I'm having a bad craving at night before bed, I'll go ahead and brush my teeth! It usually deters me from eating long enough to where the craving passes. :)
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I plan to have my ice cream late at night, and log it into my day ahead of time, so that I have the calories. It also helps me say no to other things during the day, knowing that I'll have it later.

This is a great idea! I think I will try this. Usually I have a small cup of almond milk but this is better.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I actually asked my sister how to stop this. She said just go to bed. lol Seriously though I have read that when you are tired, and you ignore the sleep signal, you're body gets confused. It mistakes the sleep signal for hunger. Can't remember where I learned that, so if anyone could verify that would be great.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Plan to stop eating some time before bed (say 2 hours). Do not eat anything after this time for several days until you get use to it. Increase this time before bed every 3-5 days and let your body adjust. You will slowly stop craving food after dinner before bed. I have used this several times and has worked for me. You will start to crave food in the morning when you get up. Breakfast foods are typically better than late nite binge foods.

Also eliminate the trigger foods from your environment. May replace them with lower calorie alternatives or go cold turkey...

Good Luck!

Great Idea too.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I save a snack for later, I have a large glass of ice water with lemon in it and a piece of fruit. I switch from pears, to apples, bananas, mangoes, peaches and plums. I'm buying a food dehydrator tomorrow and will be making my own dried fruit and jerky that will figure in as that snack as well.
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    late night nibbling was always one of my problems too... and finding other "distractions" never really worked because I was still thinking about food... and I knew that even while I was doing something else I was doing it to try and avoid thinking about food... ergo I ended up thinking about food...

When I get hungry I need to eat... something... anything... hell even the furniture isn't safe when the late night hunger pangs come on...

the curious thing I found though is that I only need to eat one or two mouthfuls for the desire to eat to pass... so the 4 rounds of toast, wasn't really necessary...

The boss bought some celery for me and some low fat cheese spread to have in for those times and voila, a couple of crunches totalling 50 cal's or less and the little hunger devil goes back to sleep...

which leads me to suspect my "need" to eat late at night is more psychological than physiological...
  • 00babyk00
    00babyk00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    do you like mints? Im finding if I have a strong flavourful mint (eclipse mints in the tin) then I feel like I have had something. Or go to bed, have an early night, thats a sure fire way to not eat.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just dont eat .. DUH...Lol I drink alot of water.
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    Goto sleep
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    All your talk about fruit and jerky is making me hungry.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try to work out if you feel hungry, i found out that i can not eat after a good work out :)
    also, you'll be more tired and you'll sleep like a baby :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plan the day so you are left with plentiful calories to eat at night.
  • Weatherford102
    Options
    Save enough calories for the afternoon and dinner times and plan ahead. If you know that is your hour of temptation, leave enough calories in your day for a late day snack, dinner and a post dinner snack. Make your snacks fruit and veggies. They don't add much calories, but can feel like alot in your stomach. An apple and orange only add up to about 150 cals, but they feel filling. If you plan these out ahead of time, then you aren't left searching in the cupboard or frig for "something" to eat.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yep -save calories for a snack.mi try to save 250 or so but even 110 will get me a chocolate lowfat yogurt, or you could have a couple pieces light bread with a little light margarine and some lowcal jam.

And then, after you eat-go brush yourteeth and rinse with Listerine! I dont know if its just me, but after i brush and rinse it takes about 2-3 hours or my taste buds to come back to life-if i try to eat before then it just wont taste nearly as good. Also, i get in my pjs and snuggle into bed, the thought that A-i'll have to get out of my nice warm bed to get a snack, B- its going totaste like the flavors beensucked out of it cos i just brushed and rinsed, and C- ill have to get out of my comfy bed AGAIN to go brush my teeth again (i dont like goingto sleep w/out brushing) all combine to make me decide that my one snack i budgeted calories for is enough.

Then i remind myself that breakfast will be here before i know it and i can have some nice yummy oatmeal :)