Okay, I bought Vanilla Protein powder... Now what?????

Options

Replies

• Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always buy vanilla, it seems to not clump up as much in the milk for some reason, but my favourite is, protein powder vanilla, a teaspooon of peanut butter, half cup frozen mixed berries, 1 weetbix biscuit. + blender = om nom nom
  • seardefilip
    Options
    So, I've posted about this before, but now unfortunately its not in "My Topics" So....

I ALWAYS buy chocolate powder. I drink it plain.. with skim.
    But I hear of MILLIONS of great protein drinks... and I would love to try them.

So I ventured into Vanilla. Figured I could add some yogurt, berries, whatever and it would be amazing.....
    I 1st (and only) tried Greek yogurt, frozen berries, splash of milk and scoop of vanilla... it was gross. lol
    Did I do something wrong??? Or is that just really how it tastes? lol Do you guys have recipes you would like to share??? Even for the Chocolate I always have on hand??

Thanks!!

I always do fruit, OJ (trop 50) the vanilla protein powder, fresh fruit and yogurt- - its really good but you could add the juice or agave nectar - but I have the same one every morning (mix the fruit up from day to day) and you can look at my diary its open- I love it!
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I can't do the soy, so I bought whey vanilla protien and both times I mixed it with fruit and it was awful. Have not tried it again. Might try some of these, but kind of afraid as the last time I ended up having to dump it.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    vanilla protein powder is so versatile. i use it to make pumpkin pie greek yogurt.... baked oatmeal bars.... key lime & cheesecake protein bars.... Also use it in protein shakes.... My go to is something along these lines -- white kidney beans, vanilla protein powder, unsweetened coconut milk, cocoa powder, dry instant coffee, cinnamon. be creative. ((and no beans in shakes isn't gross, you cant taste them and it makes it smoother - richer - creamier - thicker -- and adds fiber))
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • bgsorrells
    Options
    If you are looking to change the taste, then I suggest a shake with fresh fruit like strawberries and add in the plain Greek yogurt and a 1/4 tsp of the fruit flavored (in this case strawberry) Jello mix. That is what I do with my Body by Vi shakes. you can also add p-butter to butterscotch to make a butterfinger , applesauce, cinnamon and graham crackers for an apple pie shake, or cream cheese with cheesecake flavored fat free jello mix with fruit. Just be careful what you add and do not go adding nuts, cream cheese and p-butter b/c then you will be defeating the purpose.

And if you decide you want chocolate one day, just add in choc fat free pudding mix, you only need like 2tsp to get the flavor and the calories are very very low.

Also Sam's Club has a really good chocolate protein shake mix that tastes like cook out milk shakes.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i have a tub of vanilla protein powder which i stopped using because i don't have a blender and my naturopath just told me to use cold water and shake it in the bottle.. i got sick of it... i want to know if it's a must to get a blender to make it more delicious? to make a smoothie i guess i need one.. just didn't want to spend the $... any thoughts is great! thanks
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the vanilla soy protein powder from NatureMade....we bought some in chocolate first and it was good so we tried the vanilla....not bad. Do you all use it as a meal replacement? Think it's called Total Soy.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i have a tub of vanilla protein powder which i stopped using because i don't have a blender and my naturopath just told me to use cold water and shake it in the bottle.. i got sick of it... i want to know if it's a must to get a blender to make it more delicious? to make a smoothie i guess i need one.. just didn't want to spend the $... any thoughts is great! thanks

Ugh! A good blender helps A LOT. Honestly, they taste pretty bad unless well-blended, and with a blender you can mix in fruit and ice and anything else. Worth every penny.
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    bump. This is making me hungry!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    other options:

http://www.damyhealth.com/2012/04/brownie-batter-on-a-stick/

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/10/19/homemade-luna-bars/

Cake Batter Protein Shake
    1/2 cup Low fat cottage cheese 1
    1 Scoop vanilla protein powder 2
    3-5 Drops butter or almond extract
    1 tbs 1 tbs vanilla sugar free instant pudding mix OR 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    3-5 Stevia packets (or sweetener of choice to taste)
    1/2 cup-1cup Water (Alter this according to desired consistency)
    5-10 Ice Cubes (Depending on how thick you like it, use less for a thinner consistency)
    Optional: 1/2 tsp xanthan gum 3
  • brenpope
    brenpope Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    this is a really long thread, so I am not sure if this idea has been shared but I make a strawberry cheesecake protein shake:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    3 ice cubes
    1 cup almond milk
    4 frozen strawberries
    2 tablespoons of fat free sugar free instant cheesecake pudding mix

strawberry cheesecake protein shake! My absolute favorite!!
  • beandawgy
    beandawgy Posts: 92
    Options
    what kind did you get?
    bc bsn syntha6 vanilla is delicious, with just plain water

THIS! I take the same protein powder (and I've always gotten Vanilla flavored protein powders) I'll usually mix in a banana, skim milk and some frozen strawberries and it tastes great. Sometimes I'll leave out the banana to cut out some calories, but it still tastes great.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you are taking low carb protein powder always make sure that you take at least 1 tbsp of fish oils or flax seed oil at around the 10-11 gram range. I avoid mixing protein powders with other dairy products such as yogurt or milk. If I do happen to mix it with milk I then go for soy milk.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I make a banana mango smoothie that taste AMAZING! Take one small banana, 3/4 cup chopped mango, 3/4-1 cup ice (depending on how thick you like it), 2 tablespoons plain or vanilla yoghurt, one scoop of vanilla protein, 1/4 cup almond milk, put it all in a blender and enjoy! This makes a 20oz shake, I put it in a venti Starbucks reusable cup and it fits exactly!
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • valeriek14
    Options
    bump- good ideas!
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like my vanilla shake protein smoothie. One scoop of vanilla protein powder, one snack cup of sugar free jello vanilla pudding, 1/4 cup ice, 1/4 cup water, and one teaspoon phyillium husks. Blend in blender. Makes one serving. Tastes just like a vanilla milke shake. I defy anyone to tell the difference. Its great and only about 170 calories or so.
    B
  • EnterFitness
    Options
    I bought the Jay Robbs and swore by it. It's an eggwhite protein powder so it has no carbs. At the time I was on the South Beach Diet. Back then other powders were higher in carbs than they can be now so I don't get Jay Robb's anymore -- too expensive, too.

but no protein power is good to me without something in it. I use a cup of frozen berries and a cup of spinach- blend. you can't taste the spinach and the "smoothie" will be 2 of 5 in the 5-a-day requirement of fruits and vegetables right at the gate in the mornings. I drink these in the mornings on the way to work.

Another good smoothie suggestion is vanilla protein powder with orange juice and a little milk and ice. Orangesicle!

And finally, Vanilla powder, 1 T Hershey's unsweetened cocoa, 1 T peanut butter and some milk, too. AMAZING.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Just made this baby this morning and loved it. I'm a sucker for chocolate, so I added some in to get a great flavor:

-one scoop vanilla whey (i use Pure Protein's vanilla cream - 25g per scoop!)
    -one tablespoon 100% cocoa powder
    -one frozen banana
    -a handful of frozen blueberries
    -almond milk (just pour until it mostly covers the frozen fruit)

blend together and enjoy! mine actually came out almost like a whipped topping, so i kept adding almond milk and finally a small bit of water to bring the texture back into smoothie form. tasted like a chocolate milkshake without the guilt. ;)