have anyone used the menstrual cup

Options

Replies

• JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a divacup and I love it. It doesn't hurt at all and I've played rugby and done yoga in it. The only cup I don't recommend is the reuseable one called Instead. That one was painful to use and defeats the purposes of a menstrual cup. I also suggest you look into lunapads or other such items as well.

the only thing those are good for are keeping the sperm near the cervix to get pregnant.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    O M G! Ummm hmmmmm ::::googling::: Hmmmmm
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I bought mine on ebay for $12.00. Came with an adorable satin carry bag too :P

Please tell me it wasn't used...
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I see there's already 12 pages.. I didn't read through them, but I use a diva cup, and I love it! I had to use a tampon last period, and it was so uncomfortable! In all honesty, the first time I used it I felt like I needed to check it (empty it) each time I went to the bathroom, just like I would have using a tampon. But now I don't have to check it as often. It's easy to use and really comfortable. It's hard for some people to get their heads around it, but I'm not grossed out by it. It's much cleaner than having your home or work trashcan full of bloody waste. Especially when you have dogs at home and in the office.

And I've only had one accident the first time I used it. I was in my car on the way home so it was fine, had I been in public I would have been mortified. It does take some time getting used to inserting it.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

you can sanitize them and they are fine to sell used. I bought mine brand new but you can re-sell them.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. Just sounds weird..Lol! I'll have to google it ;-)

I just did and now I'm even more weirded out... haha

Me too now i'm all what the what??!?!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the topic of menstration ladies... does anyone else have a contraceptive implant? I've had one for three years and there is no ease up on the bleeding. It's making me feel constantly self conscious and is sending my sex life with my boyfriend down the pan.

I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago to have mine removed and to discuss different options. I've discovered there pretty much isn't anything else I can have. I used to have migraines with aura... black spots infront of your eyes before the pain set in and the doctor told me that most of the other options could cause me to have a stroke.

I've not had these kinds of headaches in 3 years but the doctor won't consider any of the other options for me. Anyone had any problems like this? Can anyone suggest anything I could try?

@ hazedot - my boss had this problem and went to get an "ablasion" procedure done. They fill your uterus with warm saline. Not sure how it works, but she said her period is all but gone. Also don't know if you can have it done if you are still considering pregnancy.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I see there's already 12 pages.. I didn't read through them, but I use a diva cup, and I love it! I had to use a tampon last period, and it was so uncomfortable! In all honesty, the first time I used it I felt like I needed to check it (empty it) each time I went to the bathroom, just like I would have using a tampon. But now I don't have to check it as often. It's easy to use and really comfortable. It's hard for some people to get their heads around it, but I'm not grossed out by it. It's much cleaner than having your home or work trashcan full of bloody waste. Especially when you have dogs at home and in the office.

And I've only had one accident the first time I used it. I was in my car on the way home so it was fine, had I been in public I would have been mortified. It does take some time getting used to inserting it.

I would think you would want to take it out during coitus.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    how does it feel? does it hurt? is it gross to put in and take out?

I have never heard of such a thing in my life.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    "So one of the many new devices I purchased for this trip was a Diva "Moon Cup". Since feminine hygine supplies would be hard to come by and waste-producing, I opted instead to buy a thing like a Barbie Deluxe Toilet Plunger, and stuff it up my hooha.

My best friend uses a diva cup but I never, ever could. There's just so much about it that is incredibly icky to me. I just.. I couldn't.

I don't see how people can call pads gross. I never. EVER get my hands bloody using a pad. I change frequently and no mess. I'll stick with that thanks.

So sitting on a blood soaked chemically bleached rayon/cotton/plastic wad of fluff for a few hours at a time isn't gross?
  • asticoral
    Options
    I've tried the Moon cup but didn't give it a fair effort and lazily went back to tampons, was a walmart one day and noticed Instead which is still sold today on the top shelf. These worked for a while for me and are way messier than the Moon cup or any of them with stems for you that are fearing the "ick" factor ( you silly woosies ) :noway:
    But now that I'm heading into menopause Instead can't manage the flow or extras :bigsmile: and I could slap myself for not using the Cup in the beginning decently.
    Its a HUGE savings on your pocketbook and the environment, you aren't stewing in your own waste like with pads.

With all science does you'd think they'd come up with a flush pill we can gobble and then give a little time for it all to slide out during our daily constitutionals :flowerforyou:

My recommendation would be to read up about them, buy one and try it, if its really not for you - at least you KNOW and aren't guessing. I'll be buying another reusable if menopause takes too long to quit bothering me :flowerforyou:
  • rubyjuly21
    rubyjuly21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just watched the video on using one. Wow. We've come a long way ladies.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I just use the little ketchup cups from McDonalds....much cheaper
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else think of this?

7060vam_vampireChalice.jpg

51ZxDq1x2rL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had the diva cup, it was a little to bulky. I like the Softcups (it used to be called Instead). I get them delivered from Amazon Subscribe and Save every month for a lil over $5.

These cup things CAN be a little messy. Especially when you're emptying it out. I would avoid changing it in a public bathroom. I'm not one of those people that gets grossed out by my own fluids but seriously sometimes I'm like "ick! That's just nasty!"
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    "So one of the many new devices I purchased for this trip was a Diva "Moon Cup". Since feminine hygine supplies would be hard to come by and waste-producing, I opted instead to buy a thing like a Barbie Deluxe Toilet Plunger, and stuff it up my hooha.

My best friend uses a diva cup but I never, ever could. There's just so much about it that is incredibly icky to me. I just.. I couldn't.

I don't see how people can call pads gross. I never. EVER get my hands bloody using a pad. I change frequently and no mess. I'll stick with that thanks.

So sitting on a blood soaked chemically bleached rayon/cotton/plastic wad of fluff for a few hours at a time isn't gross?

I use cotton pads. And no. I suppose what you're used to is what you're used to and anything outside the norm seems gross.

But honestly I just find the Diva cup distressing. I'm sure I would bleed through (I bleed HEAVY) and I'm just not willing to even try. Haha.

Ah well. To each her own.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

The theory is that the cup catches your pan drippings, and you empty it a couple times a day, washing it with hippy soap, and reinserting. It presupposes you are enough of an Earth Mother to be OK not only with your monthly outpourings, but also with generally fossicking around in your flaps. Now, I am no stranger to gore. Nor am I squeamish about my delicate rose of delight, except that I have no such illusions about it and indeed am always reminded of nothing so much as stuffing an oddly-warm raw turkey. So, when after several weeks of teasing, the Period Fairy threatening to postpone the Communist Invasion until I was actually getting on the plane (I was about ready to scream and cry at some hapless unwary male just as a sacrifice to appease her) at last I greeted the rosy-fingered dawn and set about embarking on my new life as a eco-friendly Diva.

The Moon Cup comes in two sizes; Size A, for youthful nymphs under 30 who have never given birth and have silken tresses and tinkling laughs and are all size 0, and size B, for Big Ol' *****es like m'self, who have either spawned, or are so old (ie over 30) that they might as well have been poppin' them out like Duggar Donuts, because their sugar walls are now echoing corridors full of cobwebs and slackness. Of course the packaging phrases it more nicely, but I was miffed to see that despite having never replicated, I was still doomed to the Big Gulp size because of my age alone.

So, chalice in hand, fingers washed, and let's fold that thing like a taco (no, not THAT thing, the other thing!) and cram it up where only one man has gone before and even then not for a damn long time even when he WAS still around. I'm sure I imagined the rusty creaking sounds as I tried to shove something which was larger than anything previous (with the exception of various medical speculums which, I believe, were constructed by the same person who designed the Montlake Drawbridge)into the Gaping Maw.

Now, you're supposed to roll the cup up, smuggle it past the border, let it expand, then turn it clockwise (or counter clockwise, or then one way and another, stopping when you hear the click, or something...) anyway, you're supposed to be able to turn this thing like a dial in there."If the cup does not turn easily, you did it wrong" Oh, of course, I'll just grasp hold of a thing about the size, shape, and slipperyness of the pointy end of a peeled hard-boiled egg, which is now buried in the meaty folds of my innermost femininity, which, I may add, are well-sluiced with the special effects from a Quentin Tarantino film, and spin that sucker like a dredel.

There is, also, a small stem at the base of this cup, which, being made of the same slippery silicon and about a centimeter long, is about as helpful as providing a live, untrained earthworm for a handle. More on this later.

So, rotate this thing in situ, to ensure a good 'seal' and a comfortable fit.

Does. Not. Happen.

Ladies (and gentlemen, although I hope for your sake none of you gentlemen are reading this), I tried. I hauled that thing in and out of there more times, and with much less joy, than Eeyore with his birthday present, and not once could I get that thing to "turn easily". I finally gave up, since it seemed, at one point, to be "fully inflated" and more or less in the right place. Frankly I think that having left my furrow unplowed for so long, I'm not exactly the proper degree of hotdog-hallway that the instruction-writer was intending to address, but so be it. Let's give this thing a whirl, if we can't give it a twist.

Fast forward a few hours in which I've done nothing much. To its credit, I don't feel the presence of THE CUP at all, no discomfort, not even a vague sense of "eugh" as I sometimes have when knowing all that stands between me and my khakis is a small cottony Dutch boy. In fact, I'm getting rather concerned that the Diva Cup has wormed its way in like some form of parasitic jellyfish and is now eagerly migrating up my fallopian tubes, with me all unknowing. Time to go fishing.

And that is where I discover that, while it's difficult to try and 'turn' a Diva Cup newly lodged in your sanctum sanctorum, it's a freakin' log-fall compared to trying to recover said Cup after it has gotten comfortably settled in the downy folds of your blood-engorged tissues. Yes, indeed, if cram my fingers up there to the point of pain, I can just, tantilizingly, tickle the end of that goddamn silicone 'stem'. Grasp it? Not in hell.

Of course the instructions say, if this happens, DO NOT PANIC. Well, thank god for that, because I was already running through the list of people I'd trust with a flashlight, a set of forceps, and an experience that would scar both of us for the rest of our lives. There were instructions for different positions, and "bearing down" and so forth, which I tried, to no avail, and I was pretty sure that my ham-fisted efforts (ahem) were just making things worse on the "swollen" front, so Diva and I took a break, and retired to our respective corners for an hour or so.

Now I brought out my secret weapon: Beer. If, gods help me, I ever have to have a baby, I intend to be drunk off my *kitten* for the delivery, and I surely hope that the Fairy Prince Unicorn Elvis who is my chosen Babydaddy will provide a bedside IV of godly ambrosia, or at least Jim Beam. But anyway, two beers and I'm good to go spelunking in quest of the Holy Grail once more.

Either the beer, or the break, or the combination of all of these and squatting on the bathmat like a Neanderthal crapping, finally, produced enough of that goddamn 'stem' to grab (which was good, because I was dreading having use the kitchen tongs Up There or something) and, with a surprising amount of horrible suctioning "discomfort", the invader was routed! And, wonder of wonders, it was indeed partially filled. Not filled with DELICIOUS CANDY, no, but it did seem to have been, you know... -working-, before I so rudely dislodged it from its parasitic feeding. I felt a combination of grudging respect and intrigue, as one might upon meeting a foe worthy of their steel. Provided we could agree to disagree on the whole "turn 360 degrees in place" aspect, perhaps this could indeed be a workable partnership. Better than bleeding into the Rupununi and attracting every caiman, pirahna, and candiru fish for fifty miles.

But not without some boundaries first. I tied a ROPE to that stupid stem this time."

WHERE OH WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS??????? ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

you can sanitize them and they are fine to sell used. I bought mine brand new but you can re-sell them.

Yeah. My friend who uses them has bought them used. Several times. My reaction was O.O. But she was fine with it so whatever.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This thread is worthless without pics