Tanning ?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Light, untanned skin looks younger and healthier.

If you pick up a tan incidentally as part of life, fine. Purposely getting one...meh. Seems silly.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I actually love to tan, and I think my skin looks pretty when tanned. But I don't do the tanning bed thing anymore for a few reasons including that I have seen people get the leathery look (which is NOT attractive at all) and I don't want to take the risk of getting cancer. My cousin is currently fighting skin cancer, and seeing him go through that is enough to keep me out of the tanning beds. I do, however, get some sun. I use sunscreen but it still allows me to tan. Granted, it's not the nice pretty darker tan I get from the tanning beds, but it does add a tad of color.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    All I am going to say is I dont tan...and my skin thanks me for it :)
  • AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm not big into tanning, just to give me a little color in the summer so I'm not so translucent.

But I will be switching to Mystic HD Spray Tans after this summer because I don't want leather-like skin when I'm in my 30's.

If I were you, I'd do sprays.

Mystic HD is an awesome alternative! love it!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    All I am going to say is I dont tan...and my skin thanks me for it :)

Your skin is beautiful!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't use tanning beds, but from my profile pic you'll see that obviously I tan VERY easily. I always wear SPF 30+ but it doesn't stop the tan. I personally won't put someone down for using a tanning bed...I think most people are aware of the risks of tanning, whether by the sun directly or sun lamps.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Research shows that people think that the dangers of risky behavior don't apply to them (i.e. smokers agree that smoking can cause cancer, but not for them).

I don't tan, I would never tan, and I love me some sunscreen.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Well lets see...tanning bed use has been moved into the same category of carcinogens as arsenic and tobacco raising the risk of cancer by 75% if used before age 30. DO NOT listen to anyone who says they are safe. Yes we all need exposure to the sun and being outdoors is not a hazardous activity but tanning beds serve one purpose and that is vanity. If your vanity is worth your life than go for it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love being outdoors, but I douse myself with SPF50 spray-on sunblock for babies. Never been in a tanning bed. Never will.

<-- This is as dark as I get.
  • jcmartin0313
    Options
    I love being outdoors, but I douse myself with SPF50 spray-on sunblock for babies. Never been in a tanning bed. Never will.

<-- This is as dark as I get.

Looks good to me...and I am an expert!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    its not worth the risk
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the spray tan yet ? I have heard they look fake and it's a mess when it starts to wear off. This might be a stupid question but are there different levels of color with the spray tan. I don't really want to be tan I just want a bit of color because I have very fair skin.

I have gotten the airbrush spray tan where someone literally stands there and sprays the stuff on you so that it's even and the results were great. I did this before going on a beach vacation so I wouldn't blind anyone and then once before a wedding and everyone remarked on how natural it looked...even the skeptics were impressed. It wore off gradually over the course of 2 weeks. They had different levels of color that you could request that I think were just based on how much they sprayed you - I went with light/medium since I am fairly pale to start with.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Light, untanned skin looks younger and healthier.

If you pick up a tan incidentally as part of life, fine. Purposely getting one...meh. Seems silly.

For a caucasian person or person of light skin for example, ttanning may slowly get rid of the pigment, and natural oils that makes your skin look youthful over time. I am with you 100 percent on what you said.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I went on sunbeds as a youth because I couldn't get a tan. I now have wrinkles in places they don't warn you about (top lip and chest) and age spots on my face and legs I am trying all sorts of cosmetic and concealing solutions for, so far unsuccessfully.

My dad, who has much darker colouring than me, has had dozens of carcinomas removed from his face, neck and torso through uncomfortable surgery and laser treatment. Every time he goes for a bi-monthly check-up they find more that need removing. All from sun-bathing as a youth. With the damage I've done to my skin, chances are I'll have them later in life too.

I regret every minute I spent in the sun without sun screen and every sunbed session I had. With the realistic, easy and pleasant-smelling self-tan solutions out there, there's no need to bake yourself. Please don't make the same mistake as me.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Tanning (Sun or sunbed) is like drugs and alcohol: Dont abuse and take your precautions! :glasses:

Then it should be just fine.

Just go that far:::::::::::::

tanning-mom.jpg
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between tanning to relax and get a little color and looking like that "Tanning mom"

This!

I'm really pale and I have trouble getting at least a little color. I started going to the tanning salon every now and then, I find it rather relaxing. If you're responsible and you don't overdo it you most likely will NOT get skin cancer lol.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Tanning = Cancer

dont get me wrong .. my gym has free tanning beds and mannnnn my pasty *kitten* could use a little bronzing .. my bum is so white it literally glows in the dark i kid you not!

Simply put .. its cancer ... What if aids was on sale? would you go buy it .. no you wouldn't because its aids...
    dont buy cancer if you wouldn't buy aids

just because people tan DOESN'T mean they will get cancer! Your statement is ridiculous!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i don't tan, but used to work in a salon when i was younger. the only women who had leathery skin are those who went religiously every day.. they were also the ones who used the beds for long periods of time. i haven't tanned since i was a teenager, but that's just something i don't want to do. i say do what YOU want. you know the risks. if you feel like they aren't anything that will keep you from going, then go. if you are truly worried, spray tan or use a bronzing lotion. :)
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    might try spray tanning.
  • jcmartin0313
    Options
    Tanning = Cancer

dont get me wrong .. my gym has free tanning beds and mannnnn my pasty *kitten* could use a little bronzing .. my bum is so white it literally glows in the dark i kid you not!

Simply put .. its cancer ... What if aids was on sale? would you go buy it .. no you wouldn't because its aids...
    dont buy cancer if you wouldn't buy aids

just because people tan DOESN'T mean they will get cancer! Your statement is ridiculous!

No but like I posted it raises your chances by 75% so 3 out of 4...not good odds.