Tanning ?

Options

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One day I will die. I will live my life enjoying it in whatever way I find appropriate. The odd tanning bed for 99.9% people won't change a thing.

Too much of anything kills you, everything is toxic at a certain level.

Do what you find appropriate for you and allow others the same virtue! :)
    Well said bro .. and yes, I've been in the sun since I can remember as a kid. We all have to die .. living in fear won't prolong it.

I agree with this 100%. If you want to tan by all means do so, but do it armed with the right information not anecdotes.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    heres my 2 cents

i love to tan. i love the feeling of laying in the sun and reading/listening to an ipod. and i love how it makes my skin look and feel.

i dont use tanning beds because i dont want all the UV exposure in a 10 minute window.

i do understand i am increasing my risk of skin cancer but i see no difference in engaging in other activities that are risky.

of course if i am on my death bed in 5 years ill bump this tread and laugh at this post. :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Fake it, don't bake it.

:wink:
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    One day I will die. I will live my life enjoying it in whatever way I find appropriate. The odd tanning bed for 99.9% people won't change a thing.

Well said bro .. and yes, I've been in the sun since I can remember as a kid. We all have to die .. living in fear won't prolong it.

I agree with this 100%. If you want to tan by all means do so, but do it armed with the right information not anecdotes.

So, what you guys are saying is that instead of dying from natural causes, you would be totally okay with dying from cancer. Wow. I hope you guys don't have family to watch you suffer from making horrible decisions. You might as well pick up smoking and go play with some asbestos if you really think cancer is a good way to go.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

So, what you guys are saying is that instead of dying from natural causes, you would be totally okay with dying from cancer. Wow. I hope you guys don't have family to watch you suffer from making horrible decisions. You might as well pick up smoking and go play with some asbestos if you really think cancer is a good way to go.

No I do not tan (obviously) and do not support tanning. What I do support is someone making a personal choice based on correct information not anecdotes from people who have escaped cancer but tanned his or her entire life.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options

No I do not tan (obviously) and do not support tanning. What I do support is someone making a personal choice based on correct information not anecdotes from people who have escaped cancer but tanned his or her entire life.

Then why did you agree with the people who said they've tanned their entire life and have a "que sera, sera" attitude toward dying of cancer?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird the people in here who are trying to defend tanning beds and saying they aren't bad. I thought we all knew the risks at this point. No I don't use tanning beds. I did as a teenager... I would get probably one tanning package (usually a month unlimited) per winter. I have to say I loved going. It felt really good and was nice and relaxing, but not worth the risk. I will never go into a tanning bed again. I go out in the sun kind of a lot, though, because my son loves to go to the pool. I wear spf 50 sunscreen when I go and I wear a hat usually.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Saying "Well I've tanned my whole live and I don't have cancer." is a bit like saying "Well I've drank a 6 pack a day my whole life and my liver is just fine." Congrats on escaping the odds. That doesn't mean you made a smart choice. You just got lucky.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Its not just about the cancer risks, there's a more vain reason why I don't use sun beds i.e ageing, apparently sun beds = increased ageing and wrinkles. I use St Tropez moose its AMAZING!! Applied with a tanning mitt is easy and doesn't streak. Just ensure you do plenty of exfoliating before hand. Sun beds aren't worth the risk, unless you want to look like a brown leather bag in your 40's... just saying. :)
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I tan because I have psoriasis and it helps, my skin is not leathery and I don't have any wrinkles yet (I'm 32).
    My dermatologist says I'm at low risk of skin cancer because of my complexion. (I'm naturally pretty dark because I'm part native)
    He told me that the lighter you are naturally, the higher the risk is.
    I think if you are smart about it and don't overdo it you should be fine. 5-10 minutes once a week.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    heres my 2 cents

i love to tan. i love the feeling of laying in the sun and reading/listening to an ipod. and i love how it makes my skin look and feel.

i dont use tanning beds because i dont want all the UV exposure in a 10 minute window.

i do understand i am increasing my risk of skin cancer but i see no difference in engaging in other activities that are risky.

of course if i am on my death bed in 5 years ill bump this tread and laugh at this post. :)
    Agreed! It's relaxing, and my flab looks so much better tan than white! I'm 48 years old, and don't look my age, either...To each his own!
  • soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tanned in my younger days and wish I hadn't. It has done my skin no favors. But I am far from 'tanning mom' as you can see.
    I no longer actively try and get a tan.
    I have a teenage daughter who isn't anti tan, as much as she is anti 'over tan'. High school, during the prom season is a sea or freakishly tan faces.
    I think spray on tans look fake, probably because they are so even, and not really a natural color.
    Just try to be happy with your self the way you are. Don't do anything to risk your health, just for appearances. And honestly, most of the excessive tanning I see does not help enhance anyone's appearance anyway. It looks fake, whether it's from a tanning bed or spray.
    Some people are naturally dark. They look fine really dark, because that is the way their skin is. For those of us who are naturally fair complected, then being more than just a little sun-kissed, can really look silly. In my ever so humble opinion.
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    Wow, it is amazing how so many people in our educated first world today are so ignorant (not stupid, ignorant) and uneducated about health related topics. I understand how easy it is to get a misconception about the cause of cancer and other illnesses but in all honesty, nothing truly causes and prevents cancer or most other illnesses to begin with.

Tanning does NOT cause cancer in the sense that a lot of people believe. Having a genetic predisposition to a certain kind of cancer causes cancer, and even then just because it is there does not mean you will get it in the first place.

One person can tan everyday their entire life and never get cancer, another can go out into the sun unprotected one time and get melanoma.

Can tanning too much cause damage, absolutely, but so can doing too much of anything. Sun can and is actually healthy for you in a lot of ways. Truth is, no one truly knows or understands why, when, or how we get any type of cancer or illness and usually when it does strike, we go out and look for the cause and something to blame. That is all part of the five stages of grieving.

Can tanning up your chances of getting cancer? Yes. Can smoking up your chances of getting cancer? Yes. Are you absolutely bound to get cancer if you do either of these things? No. In fact with smoking, it is NOT the number one cause of lung cancer like most people have the misconception of believing. Genetic predisposition is.

However, tanning will age your skin faster as it is literally the act of baking it. Look at most women who tan their whole lives, it's like shoe leather. Not all though, there are some that look fabulous and it has not effected them. This is called good genes.

So in short, if you want to tan, go for it. Just protect your skin and do it in moderation. Just like you should with everything else, it is all about a healthy way of going about things.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My family is prone to skin cancer so I don't go tanning. But you can still go outside with sunscreen on and you'll get a tan. I didn't believe people when they told me but I've been outside a lot this summer and I'm getting a very nice tan :)

So tan safe!! Lol
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    My family is prone to skin cancer so I don't go tanning. But you can still go outside with sunscreen on and you'll get a tan. I didn't believe people when they told me but I've been outside a lot this summer and I'm getting a very nice tan :)

So tan safe!! Lol

there is no safe tanning. if you are getting darker, even with sunscreen, that means UV is getting through.
  • banstett
    banstett Posts: 95
    Options
    I work in hospice and see a lot of people at the end of their life. You can definitely tell the difference between people who have been exposed to either sunlight or tanning versus people who have not and it is not pretty! Cancer is a terrible thing too and something you never want to experience. So no I do not tan and it is NOT safe.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Pale is the new tan. :wink:
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    Don't go, love yourself the way you are! If you want to relax get a massage!
  • rhinowithonehorn
    Options
    Ultraviolet rays break down collagen and accelerate aging. It depends on if you care how your skin looks in the future but the skin causes 80 percent of aging to the skin.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I work in hospice and see a lot of people at the end of their life. You can definitely tell the difference between people who have been exposed to either sunlight or tanning versus people who have not and it is not pretty! Cancer is a terrible thing too and something you never want to experience. So no I do not tan and it is NOT safe.

my heart goes out to you, that is a tough job!!