Dog as running buddy

Options

Replies

• geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have 2 four legged running buds, Bailey is a Wire Fox Terrier and Ellie is a Lakeland Terrier. They both love running with me and its hopeless trying to get my trainers on without them wanting to come with me. When Ellie had only been running with me for a few weeks one day I wasnt running & she went and brought my running socks to me.... that was it we went out.

I take them out running most mornings before work, normally a couple of miles and sometimes take them on a longer run at a weekend.

I have a running belt and the dogs have harnesses and bungee leads Bailey has taken to trotting at my side but Ellie still thinks she's in training to be a huskey when she grows up, they are funny.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have two pugs Dasi -7 and Rami - 3

The last time I took them walking I had to carry Dasi about a half mile from my house back because she was having breathing problems :( FYI - they are probably the worse dogs to take walking because they can overheat/die very easy. I thought it be ok since it was only a mile, but the poor dog was gasping for air :(
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it s very hot in many parts of the US. Britain is a complete wash-out. Getting used to running in the rain! Quite nice actualy as it is warm (not hot).

The biggest potential risk to Florence's wellbeing is the seagulls. Yesterday she got dive bombed although she didnt really seem to notice! They swoop down really close then try and poo on her. Anybody else live by the sea and have the same problem?

ahhh... not experience this running (but then we do hide shuffling around overgrown woodland trails), but they seem to like my car for target practice!! :huh: :angry:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am American but we are stationed here in England and I keep waiting for summer :). Even all the locals keep telling me that all this rain is not normal for "summer". At least the hosepipe ban was lifted...haha!

I can't believe I still do morning dog walkies in wellies!!!! :huh:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i didn't read the whole thread, so this may have been posted.

you can stop your dog grabbing the lead by simply switching from a nylon/leather lead to a fine chain lead with just a leather/nylon handle. chain isn't fun to mouth.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have two pugs Dasi -7 and Rami - 3

The last time I took them walking I had to carry Dasi about a half mile from my house back because she was having breathing problems :( FYI - they are probably the worse dogs to take walking because they can overheat/die very easy. I thought it be ok since it was only a mile, but the poor dog was gasping for air :(

oh how scary, hope Dasi is ok now and they are happy sticking to a nice walk instead. I must admit my old boy Bailey is 9.5 and I worry the longer runs are getting too much for him, he seems to want to trot alongside me these days whereas previously he was always out viying for 1st place with Ellie. He keeps going and he's ok when we get back but I'm sticking to the 2-3 miles with him for now.
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old black tri Aussie and a 6 month old blue merle mini aussie puppy. It is somewhat comical when we all go out to exercise whether it be walking , running, or biking (with them attached on a rod on each side of my bike). But it's a good laugh and a good time for all :-0
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try to jog at the off leash dog park, and my evil 2 year old tries to help me by grabbing the tongue of my shoe that my foot is in. Can you say "fall flat on face?" He is so helpful! (the dog is an american bulldog, shephard, pit bull mix)
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    I run with my lab/boxer and he "encourages" me to push harder. He could run all day!

It's been hard to run with him in the heat but we try to go later when it cools down

Nice! I have a Boxer, he runs ALL day. He stays on my right side either a foot ahead or behind. He too encourages me to GO! He did 13.1 miles with me the other day. He is a year and a half.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    After reading this...I feel more and more compelled to get a canine running buddy. Just wish apt fees for them weren't so much. :angry:
    ^^^This
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Roxie is my 8.5 year old flat-coat retriever. She's a wonderful dog, but I cannot run with her. She's too excited for the first half mile, running in front of me and darting out at every scent, and after two miles she can't keep up. She's getting up there in the years, and even though it's the peter-pan breed of dogs, she just wears out easily. I keep hoping to find the time to start taking her on daily walks to build up her cardio endurance, but by the time it's cool enough to even think about going outside, I'm exhausted.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Poo bags....Fantastic hand warmers in winter...:bigsmile:
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have two Cavvies and they are great walking partners. Running-not so much. I have to work on getting Sophie to let go of the notion that she has to investigate the world and make sure it meets her standards. Luke wants to eat everything and sees no point in being on the road if you can't eat all of the paper, foil and plastic you can find.
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My running buddy (and constant companion at work, etc) is Letti. She is a 3 year old Wirehaired Griffon. She LOVES to run! When we run in the country, she's off leash and runs way out ahead of me and then way back behind me. The whole time she's smiling and having so much fun! When we're in town and she's leashed, she ends up pulling me which makes me have to keep going. This is the first dog I've had that is active and she's been a hoot! My other companions were usually little, fat, old poodles that needed to be carried places. I sure feel safer running with a great big dog as opposed to running alone or with a blind, toothless, old poodle tucked under my arm!
  • noellyenciso
    Options
    My five year old pitbull mix Lucifer (yeah I know btw I did not name him that). He loves to run unfortunately if I am not careful he will drag me (like last time because of a squirrel). He does go the same pace as me but If i slow down even more he will pull and look at me like " your not thinking of stopping are you" lol he is my little encouragement
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like to run with my little dog. She is a cocker-poodle. I call her a mid-size dog. When we walk, she always pulls, but when we run, she stays right next to me. I was surprised at this. I had expected her to be pulling and stopping like she does when walking. She doesn't care whether we walk or run as long as we go.
  • jopperman84
    Options
    How many of you have a dog as a running buddy? Does it help or hinder you? Do you have any funny stores?

I have a Viszla called Florence. She is great to run with other than when she wants to grab the lead with her mouth as I almost fall over her. I always think I must look strange running in circles while I wait for her to do her business then have to run holding a poo bag until we come to a poo bin. She is a great motivator though and can always run faster/further than I can...and unlike me always wants to go out, rain or shine!

I started running about a month ago, as a means to prepare for a Warrior Dash, although I have been a "hater" of running long distances since as long as I can remember. The Warrior Dash was my first race as well.

I take my 1-yr old Vizsla, Oakley, with me on every run. He is built to run all day and this suits him well when we are out looking for pheasants. As we run together, he is a constant encouragement as he can just keep going and going and is much happier about running than I am. :-)

I am going to try to work the "leash around the waist" scenario into our training and hopefully get that working so I don't have to hold the leash.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 yr old German Sheperd called Jessie, and my sister has a 7 yr old GS called Jimmy, who I also take with me.
    They are fantastic. I run round the farmer fields with them. On the path you have to be single-file, they run off lead. Jessie directly in front and Jimmy directly behind. They can go and sniff where they want and sprint to catch me up. If they take to long sniffing I just have to say 'keep up' and they come back to their 'places' :) its cute. The only bad thing is Jessie wanted to come up to me the other week, and stopped directly in front of me and to avoid falling on her I ended up hurting my leg :(
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Pre-pregger I ran with my Aussie Shepherd mix Sophie. She's great, will run and run UNTIL.....she's done, then she stops and forces me to walk. Actually helps keep me from pushing TOO far :smile:
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I have a Siberian Husky. I have to run her, or she gets bored and destroys the house. That coupled with the fast pace she makes me keep up with makes her the perfect running dog. Except for when she trips me.
    On another note, for ladies running at night, YOU NEED A DOG. And a weapon.