Dog as running buddy

Options
1235»

Replies

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs : a 2 year old Australian Shepherd and 6 month old mini aussie puppy. I am unable to run because of spinal issues but do walk very briskly with both of them and it is a challenge! . Either dog is great by themselves, but together it can be nuts. We are working on it, though. I like to have one dog on each side so the puppy Sophie doesn't goof around with Jake and they don't compete with each other. I am working on finding the best jogging belt for two dogs. I have tried a few and have just ordered a new one with bungee leashes- I'll let you know how it works!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    So I received the belt with the bungee leash attachments and it is fantastic. I ordered it online from Stunt Puppy if anybody is interested.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Yeah, i have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (looks like a smaller pitbull) hes my running partner, i didnt train him, he just knows to run and not to stop....my lil boy :-)
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, Nani is a fantastic running partner. She's a red border collie/white shepherd mix and absolutely loves going for runs, especially at the end when we sprint. She goes to the dog park every day and really gets to crank out the speed, so honestly she's more my support buddy than my giving her exercise.

Except when she runs into me and causes me to hyper extend my knee, putting me out of cardio workout commission for almost 7 weeks and counting now. >.<
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    ive got a mutt rescue that was in a car wreck a few monthes ago that broke his leg he wants to go but his leg isnt quite up to it yet but i take him on about half mile walks for a warm up then do mine afterwards and will be adding him when his leg is better may have to try the lead thing hmm
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    I take my 8 year old Rotty Turner. He's brilliant, he's really got used to the intervals and knows to keep speed with me and not to stop which is ace. I also feel a bit more secure if it's night time because you can get idiots beeping and shouting things from their cars and stuff and with him, they tend not to bother, plus if I fell or something I'd have him to help me home.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Luv going out for a walk/jog with my Pyrenees named Jax. He does like to stop and smell at times, but when we get going he just cruises along and makes me push myself to keep up with him.
  • RHHMom
    RHHMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My 4yo golden will do the sniff&pee walk with me all day long. Anytime I've tried to run with him though, he'll plop down after a couple blocks and refuse to continue. I may look into that pooch25K. I'd love to be able to run in the dark morning...I'd only do that with a dog (I wait for dawn as it is now).