My sister wants another cat she can't afford

Options
42kgirl
42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
I am so irritated and no one is home to complain to. My sister lived in my mother's basement and would still live there not working if my mother hadn't died. She doesn't bother to get a job until her unemployment runs out and then manages to work long enough to get fired and get more unemployment. She already has 2 cats and some type of rodent and is constantly cycling other things in and out. She had my mom's cat until it passed a few days ago. She could barely afford to take care of the final expenses of that cat. In fact, I'm not sure where she got the money because I know she's broke. She texted me this morning that she wants to adopt another cat. Um, hello? You can't afford the ones you already have! I think adopting a pet that you can't care for in the event that they get sick or injured or just get old, is abuse. Of course, I'm the one who ends up looking like a beyotch because I told her exactly why I think it's a bad idea.

Replies

• 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Cats r ....ewww!! Get a dog. LOL @ some type of rodent
  • NoChub4Me
    NoChub4Me Posts: 27
    Options
    All you can do is tell her what you think, and you've already done that. Unless you think the cat is being abused or neglected, there's nothing much you can do. If the cat is being neglected or abused, or it really bothers you, report it to the authorities and let them address the situation.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    *shrug* at least she's not having human babies.

Also although you say she is irresponsible she did manage to scrape the money together to care for her other pets including one that belonged to your mum until it died.

I don't know the circumstances but it might not have been unreasonable for you to contribute to the costs for your mum's cat.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    I can't report it to the authorities as I live (thank God) 1000 miles away. It's not the kind of abuse that warrants a call, but getting an animal that you can not properly care for is ridiculous. I guess I just can't take stupid and selfish people anymore.
  • 42kgirl
    Options

Also although you say she is irresponsible she did manage to scrape the money together to care for her other pets including one that belonged to your mum until it died.

I don't know the circumstances but it might not have been unreasonable for you to contribute to the costs for your mum's cat.
    That's the point. She constantly neglects them because she can't pay for them and they get sicker. And you're right, you don't know the circumstances and it is unreasonable for me to contribute to the costs of my mother's cat. The only reason she hasn't gotten knocked up is because she can't or you better believe the government would be taking care of them.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Exactly. I know plenty of people who keep having kids yet they can't afford to feed the ones they already have.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    My brother is the same. He and his delinquent girlfriend bought two cats when they didn't even have jobs and couldn't even feeds themselves. When they broke up both of them refused to look after the cats so we took them on, they were literally skin and bone. He gets a new girlfriend, also a delinquent who doesn't work, and he gets another cat. They can't afford it, and we refuse to take any more animals, so they ditch it. Then, a few weeks later, they have a dog. They have the dog for about three months and suddenly it disappears. They say they got rid of it. Didn't even ask them what they did with it, don't want to know. Now they have another cat. Who knows how long that poor little *kitten* will last. People who do this are scum bags.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

That's the point. She constantly neglects them because she can't pay for them and they get sicker. And you're right, you don't know the circumstances and it is unreasonable for me to contribute to the costs of my mother's cat. The only reason she hasn't gotten knocked up is because she can't or you better believe the government would be taking care of them.

WOW!! You sound like a loving sister!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I want a Ferrari and a cubic tonne of Bacon but I can't afford them , so it's not going to happen :laugh:
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think more cat is better. My wife disagrees :/
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    My sweet kitty is 16 and needs care right now. I am struggling a bit as these things always happen at the worst time financially. However, I knew as her age advanced, this could happen and planned as best I could for it. When I got her, money was not an issue and if it had been, I would have very sadly said no and not adopted her. The hubs and the kids want a dog. I know I don't have the money, time, or patience for a dog. Hence, no dog. Plus, my mom isn't there to bail her out anymore. Her animals were cared for by my mom most of the time, but she conveniently forgets that when she sees something she wants.
  • 42kgirl
    Options

You didn't grow up in that house so please leave your sarcasm to yourself.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    I'd have loads if I could afford them and the hubs was ok with it.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd have loads if I could afford them and the hubs was ok with it.

I appreciate your situation but I think you missed my quip here lol.
  • 33neenaj
    Options

LOL...can't get enough of the putty tat!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i totally understand your concern. its not fair to the little furries to be neglected like that. but animals dont have the same rights as humans. its her right to have as many as her county allows. there is nothing to be done here. you already have a good idea as to what kind of person your sister is. keep your distance, dont spend a lot of time caring about what shes up to. it will just drive you crazy. people make decisions, and they have to live with those decisions.

i feel bad for the kitties tho...
  • 42kgirl
    Options

LOL...can't get enough of the putty tat!
    Chose to take it as 4 legged friends. I am the horndog in our house.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    I just love when people miss the point.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've run into much the same situation with my sister. It constantly puts her at odds with the rest of our family. Everyone has the opinion she makes poor choices. However, they are her choices to make. We are not judge and jury of how someone decides to live their lives, the best we can hope for is to not be put in a position where we have to 'come to the rescue' of either the person or animals involved.

No matter what you do her behavior patterns will not change. Ever.

So you need to decide to either accept her as she is, or cut her out of your life. There is no harmony in a solution that attempts to be in-between.
  • 33neenaj
    Options

You didn't grow up in that house so please leave your sarcasm to yourself.

Considering you posted on a public forum I will say whatever I please. I didn't grow up in your house but you sound like an awful person. It does not seem like she gets them and abandons them. I am involved in dog rescue and there a lot of people that love their animals who we help with vetting so they stay in good homes. Considering you live 1000 miles away from her I doubt you know what is going on in her life and what she can or can't do right now.

Not to mention, if I had grown up in a house with you I'd probably want to be surrounded by cats instead of humans also.

LOL really? You sound like my ex......"fight nice" How the hell do you fight nice, if I'm going to fight I'm going for the TKO!