My sister wants another cat she can't afford

Options

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    So what if she's a sibling? What does that have to do with anything?

One of my best friends has a brother who is in and out of prison, has stolen items of high emotional value from family, is a constant lier, has never a done a days work in his life. He has every right to rant about him. What a load of judgemental rubbish to say to someone you can't say anything bad about your sibling.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So what if she's a sibling? What does that have to do with anything?

One of my best friends has a brother who is in and out of prison, has stolen items of high emotional value from family, is a constant lier, has never a done a days work in his life. He has every right to rant about him. What a load of judgemental rubbish to say to someone you can't say anything bad about your sibling.

My point is that the things she said about her are are horrible things to say about someone, especially someone you should love and support.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    I still think you're out of order to the point of delusion if you seriously think it's your place to tell a complete stranger how they SHOULD be feeling about a member of THEIR family that YOU have never met!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    *shrug* at least she's not having human babies.

Also although you say she is irresponsible she did manage to scrape the money together to care for her other pets including one that belonged to your mum until it died.

I don't know the circumstances but it might not have been unreasonable for you to contribute to the costs for your mum's cat.

I kind of agree with this post.
    When I lived with my mom and dad we had a cat named Tyson, he became ill when I moved out and and we couldn't afford much of the vet bills if any, but we still brought him and now were still paying off the vet bill for his Xrays, blood tests, and sadly, getting him put down. You can still be a responsible and loving pet owner with out cash. You just have to know what to do should a bad situation happen.

^^ I agree!!!!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    Options
    . And this post was not about my relationship with my sister.

Perhaps not. But you should have kept the personal stuff out and just said something like, "My sis is on unemployment and wants another cat. She really cant afford it. She shouldnt get one." or words to that effect. The less put in a post the better, :)

Oh please...the woman simply posted about her sister taking on more pissy cats than she could afford. She obviously has a hoarding problem.

Hmmmm...my son has 3 cats....wouldn't consider HIM a hoarder. But whatever you say.......

^^^ I agree!!!!
  • MaryB2
    Options
    I still think you're out of order to the point of delusion if you seriously think it's your place to tell a complete stranger how they SHOULD be feeling about a member of THEIR family that YOU have never met!

Read my posts again and TRY to understand what they say. I did not say anything about how she should feel. I said it was rude to get on here and say such horrible things about her to complete strangers. There is a difference between feeling something and putting it online. You don't comprehend what you read yet tell me I'm delusional??
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Different type of kitty lol
    I think more cat is better. My wife disagrees :/
    I'd have loads if I could afford them and the hubs was ok with it.

I appreciate your situation but I think you missed my quip here lol.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. when you adopt/buy/get an animal, cat dog or some type of rodent, you make an agreement with that animal to care for it because it's not something that can care for itself. I would love to have another dog but I don't have enough money to cover if BOTH of my animals somehow got sick at the same time and needed vet care. I personally would put my animals ahead of myself and have ate ramen when my dog had a bowel problem that required lab tests and xrays etc. Pixie is fine now but to me owning a dog is something that's put in the budget like when you own a car and keep some slush fund for if the car needs maintenance. I don't own a car cause then i wouldn't be able to pay for my dog. But that's just how I was raised.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options

Also although you say she is irresponsible she did manage to scrape the money together to care for her other pets including one that belonged to your mum until it died.

I don't know the circumstances but it might not have been unreasonable for you to contribute to the costs for your mum's cat.

I kind of agree with this post.
    When I lived with my mom and dad we had a cat named Tyson, he became ill when I moved out and and we couldn't afford much of the vet bills if any, but we still brought him and now were still paying off the vet bill for his Xrays, blood tests, and sadly, getting him put down. You can still be a responsible and loving pet owner with out cash. You just have to know what to do should a bad situation happen.

^^ I agree!!!!!

I don't agree. If you're responsible you take out pet insurance to pay for these things.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options

Read my posts again and TRY to understand what they say. I did not say anything about how she should feel. I said it was rude to get on here and say such horrible things about her to complete strangers. There is a difference between feeling something and putting it online. You don't comprehend what you read yet tell me I'm delusional??

Perhaps you need to re-read your posts....

In your own words "My point is that the things she said about her are are horrible things to say about someone, especially someone you should love and support."

You are telling a complete stranger, about whose life and family you know sweet jack *kitten*, that she SHOULD love and support her sister.

Perhaps deluded wasn't quite the right word, I think sanctimonious and extremely self important is probably much closer.
  • MaryB2
    Options

Perhaps you need to re-read your posts....

In your own words "My point is that the things she said about her are are horrible things to say about someone, especially someone you should love and support."

You are telling a complete stranger, about whose life and family you know sweet jack *kitten*, that she SHOULD love and support her sister.

Perhaps deluded wasn't quite the right word, I think sanctimonious and extremely self important is probably much closer.

Ok honey, time for you to pull out a dictionary. Things she "said" about her sister not things she felt about her sister.
  • earthtoemilyy
    Options
    i work at a vet clinic and every single day we see people heartbroken because their pet needs some kind of medical treatment that they cannot afford. it is, hands down, the worst part of my job to watch someones pet suffer because they just don't have the money to provide treatment.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My brother has a friend who intentionally got fired from his job so he could collect unemployment and not have to work. He got denied (thank God!) but now he literally sleeps til mid day, sits around on his butt all day and parties almost every night or smokes hookah. His parents still financially pay for him, his gf, and his baby from a past relationship, even though he is in his 20s. You mentioned your sister is collecting unemployment and not working until it runs out. THOSE kind of people irritate me more than people who have a cat they can't care for. A cat can always go outside and eat a bird or something.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I love cats and would love more of them. I only have one now. Lost one a few months ago after twenty years. I can understand your sister wanting another cat. They're wonderful friends and companions. However, I agree with you. Not being able to afford the care and upkeep and the many expenses of a pet is a form of abuse.

My cat is diabetic and it costs me a lot to take him to the vet and buy his medication and giving him shots twice a day is an ordeal and responsibility.

But there's not much you can do about your sister. I'm assuming she's an adult. So, all you can do is try and reason with her. If that fails, it's not your fault.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe she wants a new shiny kitten to prepare for when the older ones pass?

i've honestly been thinking about doing the same. my cat is 16 now and shes still pretty spry and playful, but cats only live so long. i was thinking about getting a kitten but i think my current kitty would shank it during the night :laugh:
  • MaryB2
    Options
    i work at a vet clinic and every single day we see people heartbroken because their pet needs some kind of medical treatment that they cannot afford. it is, hands down, the worst part of my job to watch someones pet suffer because they just don't have the money to provide treatment.

It is hard to see an animal suffer but it's not always because the owner can't afford it. I've seen people that are really well off put a dog down rather than spend a $1000 on a surgery. I have also seen people that can't afford it find the way to get money for needed vet care. Having money and being a responsible pet owner aren't the same thing. It doesn't sound like her sister lets them suffer. The OP said her sister managed to get the money to care for their moms cat with no help from the OP.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should report your sister's job-hopping to the federal government. Using unemployment for the sake of using it is illegal. It's supposed to be help when you need it most. Who knows? They'll probably incarcerate her for fraud and then she won't be able to take on any more cats! Problem solved! :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Amen!
  • weighlossforbaby
    Options
    cats are pretty inexpensive to care for... and i think adopting one and doing the best you can is a lot better than that cat getting euthanized if noone want it. just sayin

I agree!!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Amen!