My sister wants another cat she can't afford

Options

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i totally understand your concern. its not fair to the little furries to be neglected like that. but animals dont have the same rights as humans. its her right to have as many as her county allows. there is nothing to be done here. you already have a good idea as to what kind of person your sister is. keep your distance, dont spend a lot of time caring about what shes up to. it will just drive you crazy. people make decisions, and they have to live with those decisions.

i feel bad for the kitties tho...
    Thank you. You're right. I am not, in fact, an awful person. And this post was not about my relationship with my sister. It was about not adopting animals without being able to care for them. Anyone who attacks me and calls me awful and says I'm not a loving sister is not aware of what it was like to grow up the way I did. Public forum or not, my relationship with my sister was not in the post. Other than that I think it's a bad idea to get pets you can't afford and the unemployment part was to give a bit of background as to why she can't afford them. I love animals, too. I can afford my animals.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    Also, she asked my opinion on whether she should get another cat and I asked her if she could afford another one with the old age care her current cats will be needing shortly. Her answer was no, but she wants one anyway.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i totally understand your concern. its not fair to the little furries to be neglected like that. but animals dont have the same rights as humans. its her right to have as many as her county allows. there is nothing to be done here. you already have a good idea as to what kind of person your sister is. keep your distance, dont spend a lot of time caring about what shes up to. it will just drive you crazy. people make decisions, and they have to live with those decisions.

i feel bad for the kitties tho...
    Thank you. You're right. I am not, in fact, an awful person. And this post was not about my relationship with my sister. It was about not adopting animals without being able to care for them. Anyone who attacks me and calls me awful and says I'm not a loving sister is not aware of what it was like to grow up the way I did. Public forum or not, my relationship with my sister was not in the post. Other than that I think it's a bad idea to get pets you can't afford and the unemployment part was to give a bit of background as to why she can't afford them. I love animals, too. I can afford my animals.

It does not sound like you can afford your cat now.

Not to mention you talked about her not working, living off of welfare, living off your mom, not being able to have kids and the fact that if she did she'd have a bunch that the government had to care for. You're right , nothing was ever said about your sister but only the animals!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    LOL really? You sound like my ex......"fight nice" How the hell do you fight nice, if I'm going to fight I'm going for the TKO!

You can't argue with a rescue person, they are always right and you are always wrong, that's why they prefer animals to people, blah blah blah
    and animals love you unconditionally and with no strings attached and are always there for you...blah blah blah

All the time forgetting the animal following you is a learned response to your feeding it.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    I pay the vet in full after every visit. How is it I can't afford my cat? Could we get back on topic please? Don't get pets you can't afford.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    im with you! hate people who are like this, and i know quite a few. ugh. so frustrating.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    LOL really? You sound like my ex......"fight nice" How the hell do you fight nice, if I'm going to fight I'm going for the TKO!

You can't argue with a rescue person, they are always right and you are always wrong, that's why they prefer animals to people, blah blah blah
    and animals love you unconditionally and with no strings attached and are always there for you...blah blah blah

All the time forgetting the animal following you is a learned response to your feeding it.

This has nothing to do with animal rescue but about the way she is bashing her sister. I'm the youngest out of 9 and can't imagine any of us talking so bad about each other.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options

This is true
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    *shrug* at least she's not having human babies.

Also although you say she is irresponsible she did manage to scrape the money together to care for her other pets including one that belonged to your mum until it died.

I don't know the circumstances but it might not have been unreasonable for you to contribute to the costs for your mum's cat.
    That's the point. She constantly neglects them because she can't pay for them and they get sicker. And you're right, you don't know the circumstances and it is unreasonable for me to contribute to the costs of my mother's cat. The only reason she hasn't gotten knocked up is because she can't or you better believe the government would be taking care of them.

WOW!! You sound like a loving sister!
    You didn't grow up in that house so please leave your sarcasm to yourself.

Considering you posted on a public forum I will say whatever I please. I didn't grow up in your house but you sound like an awful person. It does not seem like she gets them and abandons them. I am involved in dog rescue and there a lot of people that love their animals who we help with vetting so they stay in good homes. Considering you live 1000 miles away from her I doubt you know what is going on in her life and what she can or can't do right now.

Not to mention, if I had grown up in a house with you I'd probably want to be surrounded by cats instead of humans also.

When I was younger I was a mess and got into too much trouble. As frustrated as my siblings were they would NEVER have talked bad about me to a bunch of strangers. As a matter of fact they never talked bad about me to ME. They told me what I was doing wrong but also helped me make changes instead of tearing me down. You are saying some really horrible things about her with her not being able to defend herself.

I don't see how it's any of your business, but ok.
  • 42kgirl
    Options
    You were lucky to grow up with a loving family, then. The original post was just about adopting pets you can't afford.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options

Also although you say she is irresponsible she did manage to scrape the money together to care for her other pets including one that belonged to your mum until it died.

I don't know the circumstances but it might not have been unreasonable for you to contribute to the costs for your mum's cat.

I kind of agree with this post.
    When I lived with my mom and dad we had a cat named Tyson, he became ill when I moved out and and we couldn't afford much of the vet bills if any, but we still brought him and now were still paying off the vet bill for his Xrays, blood tests, and sadly, getting him put down. You can still be a responsible and loving pet owner with out cash. You just have to know what to do should a bad situation happen.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    cats are pretty inexpensive to care for... and i think adopting one and doing the best you can is a lot better than that cat getting euthanized if noone want it. just sayin
  • MaryB2
    Options

That's the point. She constantly neglects them because she can't pay for them and they get sicker. And you're right, you don't know the circumstances and it is unreasonable for me to contribute to the costs of my mother's cat. The only reason she hasn't gotten knocked up is because she can't or you better believe the government would be taking care of them.

Considering you posted on a public forum I will say whatever I please. I didn't grow up in your house but you sound like an awful person. It does not seem like she gets them and abandons them. I am involved in dog rescue and there a lot of people that love their animals who we help with vetting so they stay in good homes. Considering you live 1000 miles away from her I doubt you know what is going on in her life and what she can or can't do right now.

Not to mention, if I had grown up in a house with you I'd probably want to be surrounded by cats instead of humans also.

When I was younger I was a mess and got into too much trouble. As frustrated as my siblings were they would NEVER have talked bad about me to a bunch of strangers. As a matter of fact they never talked bad about me to ME. They told me what I was doing wrong but also helped me make changes instead of tearing me down. You are saying some really horrible things about her with her not being able to defend herself.

As I said, when she posted in a public forum that makes it open to peoples opinion, mine is that she sounds like a horrible sister.
  • BVannillie
    Options

This has nothing to do with animal rescue but about the way she is bashing her sister. I'm the youngest out of 9 and can't imagine any of us talking so bad about each other.

You aren't the OP. Therefore your life experiences are irrelevant to hers. It's good to know that if one of your many siblings was taking on animals that wouldn't be treated right you'd be totally supportive of that, but some of us actually care.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    You were lucky to grow up with a loving family, then. The original post was just about adopting pets you can't afford.

But in that first post you said some really bad things about her. That just says a lot about you not her. You could have asked the question without completely basking her.
  • BVannillie
    Options

As I said, when she posted in a public forum that makes it open to peoples opinion, mine is that she sounds like a horrible sister.

And mine is that it's none of your damn business.
  • 42kgirl
    Options

I kind of agree with this post.
    When I lived with my mom and dad we had a cat named Tyson, he became ill when I moved out and and we couldn't afford much of the vet bills if any, but we still brought him and now were still paying off the vet bill for his Xrays, blood tests, and sadly, getting him put down. You can still be a responsible and loving pet owner with out cash. You just have to know what to do should a bad situation happen.
    Unfortunately, she doesn't know what to do. She already has 2 vets she can't go to anymore because she didn't pay any of the bill when she brought other pets to them. Not a penny. She has other animals to think of, as well.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Actually vet bills for cats can be very pricey, and they can get sick with or without perfect care. It sucks, but that's the truth.
  • MaryB2
    Options

You aren't the OP. Therefore your life experiences are irrelevant to hers. It's good to know that if one of your many siblings was taking on animals that wouldn't be treated right you'd be totally supportive of that, but some of us actually care.

She didn't say they are being mistreated but that she can't afford the vet bills. This is why I pointed out that several of the rescue groups I work with help low income people cover the vetting of their animals. That might be an option for her sister and keeps the animals off the streets and in a home where they loved.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    . And this post was not about my relationship with my sister.

Perhaps not. But you should have kept the personal stuff out and just said something like, "My sis is on unemployment and wants another cat. She really cant afford it. She shouldnt get one." or words to that effect. The less put in a post the better, :)