For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    You have to do what works for you and this may or may not work for others. I think there is a slight undertone to your post saying it is ok to eat "unhealthy" food.

Exercise doesn't just cancel out fast food or poor food choices.

I don't believe in depriving yourself but it can be a slippery slope.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    :flowerforyou: yay for the voice of reason.

Ditto!!! :happy:
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I do the same. Balance for the win!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    But don't let that stop everyone from preaching that their way is the only one true way to dietary nirvana.

Exactly!!!!! LOL It does seem like that is what happens sometimes.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I knew going into this that this post would cause controversy.

I'm also astonished with all the friend requests and messages I got over it. So, hello there to all my new friends!

Maybe you can start a new thread when you're maintaining 140lbs and still eating the same way you do now
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people don't WANT to shove ice cream and junk into their faces?
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    I knew going into this that this post would cause controversy.

I'm also astonished with all the friend requests and messages I got over it. So, hello there to all my new friends!

Some are so set in their beliefs about you HAVE to eat this and you CAN'T eat that. If that was the way I looked at my food choices, I would NEVER have stuck with my weight loss and ACHIEVED my SECOND goal!! Calories in...calories out! :drinker:
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

This is the way I feel too. I won't put anyone down for feeling otherwise, but it's not the lifestyle I choose to live. For me, it's more about WHAT I put in my body and knowing where it came from, how it was processed, etc.

I feel the same way as you. To each his own and I do admit to eating processed foods {unfortunately our society makes it difficult to do otherwise}, but I am going to try and eat more "clean" for better overall health.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    "Perhaps the most important illusion is the belief that a calorie is not a calorie but depends on how much carbohydrates a person eats. There is an inflexible law of physics — energy taken in must exactly equal the number of calories leaving the system when fat storage is unchanged. Calories leave the system when food is used to fuel the body. To lower fat content — reduce obesity — one must reduce calories taken in, or increase the output by increasing activity, or both. This is true whether calories come from pumpkins or peanuts or pâté de foie gras. To believe otherwise is to believe we can find a really good perpetual motion machine to solve our energy problems. It won’t work, and neither will changing the source of calories permit us to disobey the laws of science." -Dr. Jules Hirsch
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If I were 300lbs, I bet I could lose weight eating nothing but pasta and fast food and 1000 calorie burritos.

I was thinking the same thing...... strange thing for someone pushing around 3-bills to post. I am all for the occasional splurge, but let us all remember one thing (drumroll please)..... what works for you or him or her or that other guy (no not him, the other guy) may not work for someone else. We are all different. Except Tim and Fred, they, for some reason, are exactly the same.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

This is the way I feel too. I won't put anyone down for feeling otherwise, but it's not the lifestyle I choose to live. For me, it's more about WHAT I put in my body and knowing where it came from, how it was processed, etc.

I was the OP before...actually made a post about the same thing....but now I understand it is more then portion control...it is about actually putting BETTER things in so that way i get more out of them. Agree with you two now. I don't want that ice cream now unless I know what the hell is actually in it.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I just had a 10 oz rib steak. Mmmmmm :tongue:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Ugh, looks like I'm doing it wrong too apparently according to the clean people. I'm not allowed to eat ANYTHING that tastes good otherwise the food police will arrest me. :grumble:
  • nae4nola
    nae4nola Posts: 7
    Options
    I guess what works for some doesn't work for everybody. Only you, yourself know what you can and can not eat (when dieting that is). For example, the less sugary, high carbohydrate foods I eat, the less I crave them. If I put more of these items in my diet, I have a hard time controlling porportions. It actually produces a scientific, physiological effect in the body. Even though it is easy to say "all in moderation", for some of us, restriction is the only way to insure moderation.
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options

Thank you!! Being Skinny Fat is not what I am going for! Being Healthy, and lean and ultimately looking good is. I have cheat meals here an there and treats. But white pasta white bread sugary treat after sugary treat no. I really want to teach my children the Proper way to use food as Nutrition and fuel.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Amen brother!!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    That is great for you, but not everyone is the same. I love certain foods, but if I eat them it triggers terrible, intense cravings. I can't have one tablespoon of Nutella. Therefore, I don't. I just go without because I cna handle none better than one.
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat it all too...just have to make sure I account for it, or plan for it in my day. Had pizza yesterday...yup thin crust...but it's pizza, had in and out burger... protein style but only because I wanted fries. So yes we can still eat those foods, just not crazy amounts...and make sure we are still exercising... portion control is key!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

I certainly don't think this is referring to people are CANNOT eat those food for medical reasons. I would assume it refers to people who don't think they can eat those foods and also loose weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I really hope my body is resilient enough that 200 calories of ice cream isn't going to make it malfunction.

I don't see anyone saying, "All I eat is ice cream and fast food." I see a lot of people saying, "In addition to a healthy, balanced diet, I make room for things I find enjoyable that might not be perfectly healthy."

Similarly, my entire life isn't about working and doing chores. In addition to doing what I'm supposed to do, I make room for reading fictional novels, watching a little television, playing games on the computer, etc.