Protection from dogs.

Options

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I second, third and fourth that you need to talk with the proper authorities about being bitten. You need to have the dog checked to make sure it was not diseased. You also need to let the authorities know about this because if this happens again they need to know about the animals history. What if it bites a child next time? It could kill the child. Please talk with Animal Control.

I have never carried mace/pepper spray while running but if you're going to be going by this house again fortune rewards the prepared.

ETA - I must have posted right after you did. I'm glad that you reported it. I'm surprised that they brushed it off so lightly though.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    The dog was reported but allowed to stay because the owner had the shot records. They will take it if it attacks again between now and the court date in September.

I was so scared and just imagine if it was a child instead.

I am looking at the site I posted earlier and the stun batons look interesting and might suit your needs

I will check out the site, thank you!!!
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    there are NO bad dogs. only bad owners.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The dog was reported but allowed to stay because the owner had the shot records. They will take it if it attacks again between now and the court date in September.

I was so scared and just imagine if it was a child instead.

I am looking at the site I posted earlier and the stun batons look interesting and might suit your needs

I will check out the site, thank you!!!

Just double check your state's laws about it... some of them are insanely restrictive!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    We saw a show the other day and they were using "Bear Spray" (not on dogs, but on bears and showed it being sprayed on a guy) and it's tons more effective than pepper spray. I'm not trying to be mean.. but no matter what bread of dog if it is coming at me, I would want to have the best thing possible to make sure I don't get bitten.

Thank you! ANY dog can be dangerous... not just pits. I'm not going to go on a soapbox about how unfairly pit bulls are criticized, but I will say that even a Jack Russell Terrier can hurt you if it wants to.

That being said, I carry a 3-inch long knife on me at all times. Helped me defend myself against a robber (or rapist, I didn't stay around long enough to find out). Pepper spray is another great idea. But dog or person, if I feel the need to defend myself, I don't want it getting back up for awhile.

Exactlyyy. I got bit by a german shepherd when I was 13. He grabbed my hand when I went to pick up a shoe (it was a neighbors dog-I never even saw it coming) and I lost an entire fingernail, half of a second and you could see the bones sticking out of my middle finger/hand. It doesn't matter what type of dog it is, they can ALL be dangerous. It depends on how they're raised.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Where I live, the danger is more of wild animals than dogs.

With dogs, the way you present yourself is really important, I know it's hard, but 'showing no fear' does help. I carry an air horn with me, as I prefer to not harm an animal if possible, that being said, I do also carry a knife, just in case. The air horn is usually enough to break the attacking animal's train of thought, and make it a little more wary of you.

Best of luck in future walks, stay safe OP!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When I'm not running on my usual bike path and go thru neighborhoods or out at dark, I usually carry an asp. No one wants to mess with that! Just the sound of extending it is intimidating!

http://www.batondefense.com/ASPBC.html
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was running with my dog on a leash and an unleashed dog attacked us. It was winter and the dog chewed thru my leather gloves and messed up my jacket. I'm blessed my dog was unharmed. It was a large pit bull mix. My dog is a 45 lb shepherd mix. I was so on adrenaline and pulled the dog off my dog. Finally the owner came and took off in his car with his dog. I was only 1/2 mile from home so I didn't bring my cell phone. Big mistake. I didn't get the plate on the guys car.
    Anyway what I learned is that pepper spray is what most authorities recommend. My vet said if your ever attacked by a dog or if a dog attacks yours use your feet. Kick the sh@@ out of it, aim for the neck or *kitten*. Your legs are stronger and you want to protect your neck area with your arms. The dog will go for your throat instinctually. I always carry pepper spray and my cell phone now. Psychologically, if I see another dog while I'm with my dog I take another route. I'm afraid my dog will sense my anxiety.
    Hope this helps.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    fog horn
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you got checked for rabies and whatnot after being attacked.

That's so traumatizing. :( I recommend the pepper spray.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

The MFP forums are famous for their ignorance around nutrition and fitness, why not branch out? Kudos, sir!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    We saw a show the other day and they were using "Bear Spray" (not on dogs, but on bears and showed it being sprayed on a guy) and it's tons more effective than pepper spray. I'm not trying to be mean.. but no matter what bread of dog if it is coming at me, I would want to have the best thing possible to make sure I don't get bitten.

Thank you! ANY dog can be dangerous... not just pits. I'm not going to go on a soapbox about how unfairly pit bulls are criticized, but I will say that even a Jack Russell Terrier can hurt you if it wants to.

That being said, I carry a 3-inch long knife on me at all times. Helped me defend myself against a robber (or rapist, I didn't stay around long enough to find out). Pepper spray is another great idea. But dog or person, if I feel the need to defend myself, I don't want it getting back up for awhile.

The problem with the pit bull breed that is unique to the breed is the power in their jaw. Any dog can attack, that is true but the bite of a pit bull is way more dangerous then other breeds and that should not be ignored.
  • reese66
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

Its not the breed. Its the animal. Any dog, even a mini poodle can bite when not properly trained or kept on a leash.

To the OP - Definitely carry pepper spray, and make sure you report that bite. You were lucky, but if this dog is often out, the next person (or child!) might not be as lucky. Who ever owns the dog should be more responsible. Never run from a dog, it will only make them chase you.

I have been around pitts and everything was fine but they are aggressive in nature, and that is not to say that they all act on it. By the way I was bit by a poodle as child which is probably why I really don't like the breed. It's the owners fault for having the gate open and allowing it to run freely.

I am not attacking the breed, I am just looking for safe ways to protect myself.
  • wannaplay2505
    Options

The MFP forums are famous for their ignorance around nutrition and fitness, why not branch out? Kudos, sir!

Well done. =S SMH
  • reese66
    Options

With dogs, the way you present yourself is really important, I know it's hard, but 'showing no fear' does help. I carry an air horn with me, as I prefer to not harm an animal if possible, that being said, I do also carry a knife, just in case. The air horn is usually enough to break the attacking animal's train of thought, and make it a little more wary of you.

I had no fear until I realized I was being bit.
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

Its not the breed, it's how it was raised and it's temperment. Pitts are this "seasons" bad dog. Rotties, Dobermans, GSD and even Saint Bernards have been on that list.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I like the idea of the air horn. I'm sure that would work most of the time and definitely better (for the animal) than pepper spray or a knife.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this. I had not even thought about this possibility where I run, but perhaps I need to. You never know anymore. As to your original question, I have no experience with the device you listed, but I do know if you're going to go with a spray, I would recommend one that contains both oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray), AND tear gas. Together they are more effective than either alone.
  • reese66
    Options
    Was the dog unleashed and attacked you? Did you have to get stitches? How severe was the injury?

He got his upper fangs in, looks like he got a couple of nibbles. No stitches and it's just one large black and blue area now. Just hurts to walk, sit and bumping against something is a definite no-no...

I am going to be fine, maybe more scared of dogs but I am fine.
  • reese66
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this. I had not even thought about this possibility where I run, but perhaps I need to. You never know anymore. As to your original question, I have no experience with the device you listed, but I do know if you're going to go with a spray, I would recommend one that contains both oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray), AND tear gas. Together they are more effective than either alone.

Thanks, do you know a brand?
This discussion has been closed.