Protection from dogs.

Options

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray. I just got myself a small bottle at a sporting goods store designed for runners after having a few similar scares.:frown: :grumble:
    If not, get a concealed weapons permit. Working on that too. :smile:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I understand that you do not want to harm the dog, but your safety is number 1. Bring everything (gun, knife, pepper spray, fog horn, etc) if it makes you safe. Would you feel this way if it was a person attacking you instead of a dog?
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Looks like the consensus is to report the dog and I have to heartily agree. The owner needs to be held to account for that. You have to be dumber than a rock to not know the risks associated with that breed. The animal has no business being out loose.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A .22
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

tumblr_m0bin3EOLY1qb3l9f-1.gif
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options

There are bad apples in the human race too, that we just don't understand why they are the way they are, should we as humans be banned too??

Yes, its called Jail.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks, do you know a brand?

I believe both Mace and Sabre make that kind of product. In general, those are both good brands with a solid reputation. I'd avoid some of the ones you might find if they're from no-name companies. I just don't trust them.

http://www.mace.com/personal_defense/mace-triple-action-pocket.html
    http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-SABRE-Advanced-3-dsh-in-dsh-1-Defense-Sprays/Categories

I will caution you however, there are some strange laws out there with some states or local municipalities banning certain things. You'll want to make sure this particular product is okay to have. If nothing else, you could probably ask the investigating officer from your attack. I assume you were given his card?
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    A .22

I think it would be incredibly difficult and dangerous to try to shoot a dog that is attacking you.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Any threatening , unleashed dog in my path gets a swift kick and a loud "NO!"
    Any irresponsible owner who objects goes to ER.
    Most dogs are great, and even mean dogs seem to love me.
    I've only had to kick a few times, and it was always a pit bull.
    Good Luck!
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    know your town's leash laws
    most places have them, except some more rural areas

I walk my dogs in our neighborhood, within city limits, and encounter off-leash dogs. breed is irrelevant, if a dog wants to be territorial and aggressive it can be. I have the animal control number loaded in my phone and have called on walks before. I haven't come upon any of those dogs roaming freely again.

I know that doesn't address being bitten when you're out. Was there no person anywhere around? Thankfully the times dogs have come at my and my dogs aggressively there has been a person around.

Once a dog on a leash (a black lab, one of the "nicest" breeds) bit my dog. so I don't buy into breed prejudices. any breed of dog can have a crappy owner.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Most pepper sprays are the same - Bear sprays are good but tend to be big and bulky -

The below are the basic options

1. Pepper spray - you can get them in dog varieties - in all honesty they are difficult to deploy when you are under stress and you may hurt yourself, unless you get in the habit of simply running / walking with it in your hand ready to go when needed. You can get some that are key chain models so you can carry your keys that way - or clip type etc.

2. Taser - expensive, requires training and is great if you have good aim pointless if you dont. Unless you take the deployment cartridge off and use it as a stun gun only but that requires you to get up close to the dog.

3. Walking Stick - Believe it or not these are very effective, either in a poly plastic or wood the mere act of using one adds an extension to yourself and this is actually a good deterrent to a dog, they see it as an extension of you and you appear larger and they are unsure of it etc. It also usually gives you a feeling of confidence as well.

4. Learning how to deal with dogs - The most important thing in dealing with engaging a dog is to ensure that you are establishing confidence / dominance- Dont stare down a dog but if you walk or run and you are OBSERVANT of your surroundings, lift your shoulders up, look dominating and assertive most dogs wont challenge you unless you go into their territory.

5. Knife - Firearm / I lump these two together because while it might be a nice feeling to have that little knife that you pat every once in a while on your side for protection these tools are completely useless unless you have EXTENSIVE training in their use.

I see a lot of people carrying knives and while yes, it is something which is better than nothing it is also something that can be EXTREMELY dangerous to the user. I have taken several knife fighting courses and I barely feel confident in my abilities not to cut myself... or not to have my own knife taken away and used against me. Same thing with firearms... and it may be illegal in your area.

To the a hole that posted the breed that should be banned...

I have done dog training ... You my friend are a good reason why this breed has such a bad wrap. I have been bitten by more Chihuahas, ****zus, Poodles then I have with a Pit.

There are crazy dogs in every variety but the owner has the majority of the responsibility to understand the breed. If you dont give a pit bull a job and dont exercise it and socialize it it will be like any other dog ... German Sheperd, Chow, Rottweiler, Doberman, Poodle....It will be aggressive...
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it seems to have worked for my pitbull -- lots of love and attention and he is the least aggressive dog I've ever been around. My coonhound/pointer mix is more aggressive.
    It's extremely disgusting that you think it's OK to ban a breed, especially knowing that many of us have pitbulls who are family members and have never done anything wrong.

Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just bought a citronella based spray called SprayShield for about $15. Not foolproof but it won't harm the animal and it can supposedly spray from about 10 feet away. Bought it at Pet Food Express.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I used to run with an 800,000 volt stun baton and had to use it TWICE over the years on dogs who tried to attack my little lab/beagle mix. It had 130 decibel siren on it, too. Applied across a dog's nose or muzzle, it definitely made an impression. Didn't seem to faze an attacking dog if I pressed it up against their body though! Dogs can be incredibly oblivious to everything else when they are in attack mode.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

Have you ever worked with animals, or are you just making assumptions based on hear-say?

No animal is inherently evil just as no person is. Any dog can be mistreated into aggression and any dog can be the best thing in the world. A good friend of mine has a pitbull who lived with and snuggled with her cats' new born kittens. The idea the Pitbulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers etc are any more "dangerous" than a Shar Pei or a Labrador is ABSOLUTELY preposterous. I used to work at an animal shelter and the pitties are AMAZING companions, as were the black cats.

Don't be racist against a dog breed.

http://aspcabehavior.org/articles/193/The-Truth-About-Pit-Bulls.aspx

Onto the question at hand. I think you should call the ASPCA and let them know that the dog is there. They can send specially trained officers to deal with the issue.
  • jjh1024
    jjh1024 Posts: 36
    Options
    Any dog can attack and have problems. If bred properly and trained well all dogs, even pit bulls, are great dogs. They are just like people some have issues some don't. When asking for advice though I dont think she was asking for your personal opinion and attack on the bred. Other then that, get your facts straight.

I would 100% contact authority and report this. This dog may have a record of this and you may be able to save someone else from this happening to them. I would also have the bite checked out. I am not sure what would work. Pepper spray sounds as though it would do t he trick though. Sorry I dont have any better advice. Please be careful!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to be the only one to suggest carrying doggie biscuts! If this dog lives in the neighborhood you run in, you ARE going to see it again and chances are, it'll be out again. Get into the habit of tossing a doggie treat into his yard every time you pass by.... he'll start to associate you with the treats and will be happy to see you. I have several yards on my route with fenced in dogs, they've all gotten used to me tossing goodies in thier yards and they don't bark at me anymore....
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Wow today must have been "bite a human" day. I got bit by my neighbors daughter's dog today a couple times actually. He is a terrior (sp) and extremely aggressive. Thank god he doesn't normally live there but was just visiting for the week. I was in my yard and he came after me. Honestly now I wish I had a shovel because I would have beat the crap out of it!! Most people don't do yardwork with pepper spray and I agree most people prolly wouldn't react in time to use it.

I have seen several people walk with big sticks to scare off dogs. Maybe that would help? All I know is I told my neighbor if that dog bites me again I will have it put down, NO IF, ANDS, OR BUTS!!!

Good luck.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, are you ok?! Definitely consider legal action if the bite will need treatment. I work in the personal injury dept of a law firm and we deal with dog bite cases. Nasty stuff.

As for advice I don't have much, I am a huge animal lover so I can't suggest anything that would put the dog in harm's way... however pepper spray does sound like a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.