Protection from dogs.

Options

Replies

• amyschintler
    Options
    I have been bitten by 2 dogs in my life.
    1: A maltese/pommeranian cross. reason: no reason, I was walking past it.
    2: A jack russell terrior. reason: it had dug under the fence and got into my back yard. When I went to put it back it turned around and bit me, then scampered under the fence.

my son was 6 and was also bitten by a "friendly little dog" in this case a maltese terrier for no reason either. He was patting it while it was in the owners arms. He was bitten on the lip. Not nice.

I had a pittbull mix that was so gentle and loving and would not hurt anyone, he was the best animal I have ever had and would give my left arm to have him back again.

Don't criticize the breed, I find the smaller the dog, the less tollerant and more likely to get agressive. The larger the breed the more tolerant and less likely to turn on people. The owners are the problem and the way the dog is treated is the reason why the animal behaves as such.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'll often use a baseball bat as a walking stick, maybe it will come in handy some day.

I've seen coyotes on our street
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

Absurd, totally NOT true. Neighbor has a pit and she's the sweetest thing there ever was. Even with her puppies she was the best. My Jack Russell is the demon dog from hell and only 18 lbs, she'll bite you before Brenda will.

Cleveland Ohio has finally taken that dog off their vicisious dog list and only puts individual dogs on based on if they bite or not.

Stupid Stupid Stupid
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

my son was 6 and was also bitten by a "friendly little dog" in this case a maltese terrier for no reason either. He was patting it while it was in the owners arms. He was bitten on the lip. Not nice.

I wouldn't have been able to decide whether to punch the dog or the owner in the face.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I wouldn't have been able to decide whether to punch the dog or the owner in the face.

When I worked at the shelter I was scratched and bitten several times. It was ALWAYS my fault. Animals don't "attack" for no reason. Humans are unpredictable. You can always expect an animal to act like an animal. Punching a dog would only aggravate the issue, as it is now acting defensively and is scared of you.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

Then so should every single breed that bites. So let's ban German Shepards, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Yorkies, Chihuahas.. hell, let's just make it fair and ban all dogs.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Then so should every single breed that bites. So let's ban German Shepards, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Yorkies, Chihuahas.. hell, let's just make it fair and ban all dogs.

Let's ban humans.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just because this has totally run away from the op altogether.

To the anti pit people pick up a book.

In the 1940s the pit bull was our most celebrated dog. Going to war and protecting our men. Going further back Stafford shire terriers, pit bulls and bull terriers helped bring the pioneers out west. These were celebrated animals of great bravery and even more importantly a loyalty to humans that is second to none. The only reason they are aggressive or fight is because a human whom their very world revolves around told them to in some way or another be it direct or indirect pressure from the human. These dogs would truly bake their owner a cake if they had thumbs and were told to.

Then after the 40s thugs thought pits, rotts, dobies, all looked cool and tough. They interbredd into the blood line for drug running dogs. Out of the three danger breeds there the doberman is the only one ever breed for protection and he was breed to stay close to his owner. A breed developed by a tax collector to keep him safe. Pitts and Rotts were both working breeds who were supposed to protect, watch the kids and help with farm chores. Wow aren't they scary.

OP I too would have mentioned the breed when talking about this. Not even thinking about how it would have gone. A few weeks ago I was running with my dog and an old lab and a sheep dog came after my dog and I. I use the technique I told you about and made sure my dog never made eye contact with them. I also slowed to a controlled walk till I saw they lost interest.

edited to add my favorite saying from when I worked at the human society: client: "Does it bite?" Me: "Does it have a mouth?" Client: "yes" Me: "Well then it has the capability of biting"
  • Ericaaa89
    Ericaaa89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    petey.jpg
  • bm99
    Options

When I worked at the shelter I was scratched and bitten several times. It was ALWAYS my fault. Animals don't "attack" for no reason. Humans are unpredictable. You can always expect an animal to act like an animal. Punching a dog would only aggravate the issue, as it is now acting defensively and is scared of you.

You're right, owner it is.

Just because a cute little kid wants to pet your dog doesn't mean you should let them if you think there is even a small chance of the dog biting.
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options

Seriously, shame on you. ALL dogs (might) bite. ALL dogs have this instinct. In fact, German Shepards attack much more frequently and viciously than any other breed but we don't mind that because we have this Rin-Tin-Tin ideal of them.

My pit bull is 6 years old and has NEVER come close to biting anyone. IT IS about giving "the right love" and having common sense, not encouraging the attack urge (or training them to be unnecessarily strong) and also, picking the right dog, because every dog has it's own personality.

I'm sorry that this person got attacked. I've been attacked by a dog--not a pit bull but it was painful and terrifying! I just had to say my peace.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Wasp and hornet spray shoots farther and seems to do the trick here in Montana! But YES i would turn the dog in....and seek medical attention!! Report it! Best of luck! Blessings!! <><
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Just because this has totally run away from the op altogether.

To the anti pit people pick up a book.

In the 1940s the pit bull was our most celebrated dog. Going to war and protecting our men. Going further back Stafford shire terriers, pit bulls and bull terriers helped bring the pioneers out west. These were celebrated animals of great bravery and even more importantly a loyalty to humans that is second to none. The only reason they are aggressive or fight is because a human whom their very world revolves around told them to in some way or another be it direct or indirect pressure from the human. These dogs would truly bake their owner a cake if they had thumbs and were told to.

Then after the 40s thugs thought pits, rotts, dobies, all looked cool and tough. They interbredd into the blood line for drug running dogs. Out of the three danger breeds there the doberman is the only one ever breed for protection and he was breed to stay close to his owner. A breed developed by a tax collector to keep him safe. Pitts and Rotts were both working breeds who were supposed to protect, watch the kids and help with farm chores. Wow aren't they scary.

OP I too would have mentioned the breed when talking about this. Not even thinking about how it would have gone. A few weeks ago I was running with my dog and an old lab and a sheep dog came after my dog and I. I use the technique I told you about and made sure my dog never made eye contact with them. I also slowed to a controlled walk till I saw they lost interest.

edited to add my favorite saying from when I worked at the human society: client: "Does it bite?" Me: "Does it have a mouth?" Client: "yes" Me: "Well then it has the capability of biting"

Thank you, i appreciate your advise and will take it with me as well pepper spray just in case.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Is a doxen similar to a dachshund?
  • lostlilshoebox
    Options
    I was out running and a black lab came after me and my dog. It was loose in town and I had my dog on a leash. The owner told me that "he's nice he would never hurt anyone", but the growling and hackles on his back standing up told me differently. *I* had my dog under control listening to my every command as the asshat owner tried to catch her dog.

A lot of owners are to blame. Now, some breeds are a little bit high strung.... but any dog can attack. If you live in a city/town.. lock your dog up.

Pepper spray will be an additional running buddy.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options

I hate it when uneducated people make moronic remarks like this. I own a pitbull and he is one of the best dogs I have ever owned. I have 3 kids and he is very well behaved with them. These dogs ARE NOT vicious or evil, they are trained to be this way by bad people. Hell, any dog is capable to attack someone. I had a chihuahua and she bit more people that I can count.

Pitbulls SHOULD NOT be banned, the evil people who train them to be fighters should be banned!!!!

More people in this country are attacked and killed by humans than pitbulls so lets get attorneys involved and ban humans!!!!

Ugh, I'm pissed now!!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Just because a cute little kid wants to pet your dog doesn't mean you should let them if you think there is even a small chance of the dog biting.

My dogs are extremely friendly, and have never bitten anybody. But this is their first time living in an apartment complex. When I walk them, they attract a lot of attention (they are a beagle mix and a pit mix). Whenever people approach them, I say, "be cautious. They are not people-friendly." If they continue to approach, I feel I am not liable at this point (but they are ALWAYS leashed, not running free). If it is a small child, I tell them not to approach.

Why? Because new people happen to frighten my dogs. They have never lashed out, bitten, or growled but I will not have my good dogs put down because somebody came over to pet and scared them and they protected themselves.

When I see others walking their dog, I do not ask to pet their dogs. I feel like this is troublesome to them and can be overwhelming to the dog. If I minimize the opportunity and the threat level (for my dog or another person's dog), then I can minimize the chance that someone will be bitten and someone else will lose a best friend because of my poor judgement.
  • bm99
    Options

My dogs are extremely friendly, and have never bitten anybody. But this is their first time living in an apartment complex. When I walk them, they attract a lot of attention (they are a beagle mix and a pit mix). Whenever people approach them, I say, "be cautious. They are not people-friendly." If they continue to approach, I feel I am not liable at this point (but they are ALWAYS leashed, not running free). If it is a small child, I tell them not to approach.

Why? Because new people happen to frighten my dogs. They have never lashed out, bitten, or growled but I will not have my good dogs put down because somebody came over to pet and scared them and they protected themselves.

When I see others walking their dog, I do not ask to pet their dogs. I feel like this is troublesome to them and can be overwhelming to the dog. If I minimize the opportunity and the threat level (for my dog or another person's dog), then I can minimize the chance that someone will be bitten and someone else will lose a best friend because of my poor judgement.

I like you.

I don't let my boys pet strange dogs, even if the owner encourages it. They are 2 year old twins and don't know how to behave. They will crowd the poor thing, and even with me RIGHT THERE holding their hands they will try to grab or poke the poor creature. And they growl. I don't know why my sons growl at animals, but they do. I am often shocked by people who let their little little kids go up to strange dogs. I don't know what's more unpredictable, the animal or the toddler.

They can admire the dog just fine from a few feet away and I'm sure the dog appreciates it! When something unfortunate happens, I do think it's the owner's fault for not saying no.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I own a pitt bull, and I'm not stupid. A dog is a freaking dog. Under the right circumstances any dog has the capability to bite a human. Breed profiling is one level under racial or ethnic profiling of people, as far as I'm concerned.
This discussion has been closed.