Protection from dogs.

Options

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to be the only one to suggest carrying doggie biscuts! If this dog lives in the neighborhood you run in, you ARE going to see it again and chances are, it'll be out again. Get into the habit of tossing a doggie treat into his yard every time you pass by.... he'll start to associate you with the treats and will be happy to see you. I have several yards on my route with fenced in dogs, they've all gotten used to me tossing goodies in thier yards and they don't bark at me anymore....

Oddly, this might work. However, I would still alert the SPCA.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Thanks, do you know a brand?

I believe both Mace and Sabre make that kind of product. In general, those are both good brands with a solid reputation. I'd avoid some of the ones you might find if they're from no-name companies. I just don't trust them.

http://www.mace.com/personal_defense/mace-triple-action-pocket.html
    http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-SABRE-Advanced-3-dsh-in-dsh-1-Defense-Sprays/Categories

I will caution you however, there are some strange laws out there with some states or local municipalities banning certain things. You'll want to make sure this particular product is okay to have. If nothing else, you could probably ask the investigating officer from your attack. I assume you were given his card?

Yes I have his info. I thought about asking him after he was here. Was still shaken up a bit when he was here.

Was just looking at the mace website and order some stuff now.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

REALLY!!! Come on.... There is NO BREED of bad dogs!!! There are irresponsible dog owners end of story.... I have raised German Shepards and Rottweilers all my life and have taken them through socializing puppy classes, all the way through CGC and advanced classes and NONE of my dogs EVER attacked an individual.... It is human stupidity that over breed the dogs and then chain them to poles and never socialize them or just let them roam that are to blame.. I have several friends with pitbulls that would not hurt a fly, are great family dogs.... To the OP, I would carry a bear spray or something along those lines. In a case where your life is in danger then all bets are off to the well being of the animal unfortunate for the dog but your life comes first... Responsible dog ownership is the solution but society is so quick to judge..... It just sad...... When my youngest granddaughter was born, she and my stepdaughter lived with us. I got very little sleep cause everytime she made a peep my Rottweiler would come and nudge me til I physically got out of bed and went to check on her... Vicious dog...... Right.....
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to be the only one to suggest carrying doggie biscuts! If this dog lives in the neighborhood you run in, you ARE going to see it again and chances are, it'll be out again. Get into the habit of tossing a doggie treat into his yard every time you pass by.... he'll start to associate you with the treats and will be happy to see you. I have several yards on my route with fenced in dogs, they've all gotten used to me tossing goodies in thier yards and they don't bark at me anymore....

I like this too. Making your "intrusion of their domain" a positive experience.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A .22

I think it would be incredibly difficult and dangerous to try to shoot a dog that is attacking you.

Not as hard as you think. I pack my .22 or my .380 on all my runs. I will not be dog food and I will not be found dead in the woods after being raped. As an American women I have the right to protect myself. A right most women in other countries do not have. A right I will not take for granted.
  • reese66
    Options
    Oh goodness, are you ok?! Definitely consider legal action if the bite will need treatment. I work in the personal injury dept of a law firm and we deal with dog bite cases. Nasty stuff.

As for advice I don't have much, I am a huge animal lover so I can't suggest anything that would put the dog in harm's way... however pepper spray does sound like a good idea.

Pepper spray seems to be the way to go, I don't want to hurt the dog but to me I come first. I love my dogs and cats too but if they started looking at me like dinner I might have to rethink our relationships...
  • dreamsofsomeday
    dreamsofsomeday Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea to go to the hospital when bit by an unknown dog, because an irresponsible owner may not have gotten its' pets' rabies shots. Not only that, but wounds can become seriously infected.

I'm sorry to hear about being attacked. However, I agree with people who have said that not all pits are aggressive. I volunteer at my local animal shelter, and most of them are gentler than most dogs. In fact, my fingers once slipped in one's mouth, and it didn't care. To be honest, the small chihuahua/pug mix I recently adopted is much more aggressive than any pitbull I've had experience with. Of course, this is why we are trying to train her and not letting anyone get bitten by her.
    Most of those pit bulls that are aggressive are the ones that aren't trained or socialized well. I am guessing that this is why the dog is attacked, since apparently the owner wasn't even out there to supervise it and was allowed to attack whoever it wanted to. Because this type of dog can be very dangerous if it does bite, it should not have been left to itself. While they don't lock their jaws, pit bulls are notorious for their strong necks, which could easily kill a child if it were to bite one.

Really, any breed, whether it's a lab, pug, poodle, or any other breed can be incorrectly socialized and therefore territorially and/or fearfully aggressive. I've been around breeds, such as Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and Dobermans, and I have yet to be bitten by any of these. Some of these have been the best dogs I've ever been around, to be honest, even when I was a small child. All of these breeds, however, have been banned in certain areas for "aggression."

I found a very useful page from ASPCA on how to avoid an attack altogether if a dog acts aggressive. Here is a quote from it:
    If a loose dog comes near a child, he should not run or scream. Instead, he should avoid eye contact with the dog and stand very still, like a tree, until the animal moves away. Once the dog loses interest, the child can slowly back away until he’s out of sight.
    If a child falls down or is knocked to the ground by a dog, she should curl up in a ball with her knees tucked into her stomach and her fingers interlocked behind her neck to protect her neck and ears. If a child stays still and quiet like this, the dog will most likely just sniff her and then go away.
    Children should never try to outrun a dog. If a dog does attack a child, the child should “feed” the dog his jacket, bag, bicycle—or anything that he has for the dog to grab onto or anything he can put between himself and the dog

http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/57/Dog-Bite-Prevention-.aspx.
    I know that the link refers to what children should do, but I'm guessing it would also help an adult.

Of course, if a dog does attack you, you have every right to do anything in your power to defend yourself.

It is also important to know about dogs' body language so that you can tell when an attack is coming before approaching the animal.
    http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/49/Aggression-in-Dogs.aspx
    http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/50/Canine-Body-Language.aspx
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
    Even the initial post saying it was a "pit bull" that bit is unnecessary. Most people who talk about "pit bulls" don't even know that it's not a breed. And the fact that this one was obviously off the leash and not in a fenced in yard, makes me think that the owners aren't responsible, which are exactly the type of people who give these dogs a bad name.
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

The Breed is not all bad and should not be judged on a whole by some inbred bad apples!! I have a friend who raises Pits and they would lick you to death before the bite, unless you were to physically threaten or harm them or their family! I agree there are ones who were never abused that just have issues this is usually due to MAJOR in breeding, which again is not the fault of the animal, but of the breeders! There are bad apples in the human race too, that we just don't understand why they are the way they are, should we as humans be banned too??

Sorry for the soap box, but it just gets my goat the way this breed is so often villianized and that half the time,a "Pit" is not even a pit bull. There are many breed mixes that look like pit that are not... OK... Off the box now!
  • reese66
    Options

REALLY!!! Come on.... There is NO BREED of bad dogs!!! There are irresponsible dog owners end of story.... I have raised German Shepards and Rottweilers all my life and have taken them through socializing puppy classes, all the way through CGC and advanced classes and NONE of my dogs EVER attacked an individual.... It is human stupidity that over breed the dogs and then chain them to poles and never socialize them or just let them roam that are to blame.. I have several friends with pitbulls that would not hurt a fly, are great family dogs.... To the OP, I would carry a bear spray or something along those lines. In a case where your life is in danger then all bets are off to the well being of the animal unfortunate for the dog but your life comes first... Responsible dog ownership is the solution but society is so quick to judge..... It just sad...... When my youngest granddaughter was born and my sge and my stepdaughter lived with us. I got very little sleep cause everytime she made a peep my Rottweiler would come and nudge me til I physically got out of bed and went to check on her... Vicious dog...... Right.....

All the Rotts I have met and had the great opportunity to be "family" with have been incredible. Like I said I am not blaming the dog or the breed I just want a way to protect myself. All dog breeds bite, it just so happens it was a Pitt.
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    Out walking today I was bitten by a pitbull, not the best walk ever but I survived it and will carry on. For the future what would you suggest? Pepper spray or something like https://cbgsafetyproducts.com/dogchaser.htm, both say the don't work on all dogs so maybe both? Opinions?

I don't want to hurt an animal but I don't want to be hurt either...

I love animals but I do carry a bat attached to my jogger when I run. There is no way to fight off a dog and protect the baby without one.. Pray it never comes to that. Sorry to hear about your bite.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

No breed of dog should be banned. Any dog can attack. I have a friend whose ****zu bit her niece's face. Pitbulls are not inherently dangerous, they just need to be properly trained and socialized. Some breeds require more than others. Saying any particular breed should be "banned" is just plain ignorant.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    A .22

I think it would be incredibly difficult and dangerous to try to shoot a dog that is attacking you.

Not as hard as you think. I pack my .22 or my .380 on all my runs. I will not be dog food and I will not be found dead in the woods after being raped. As an American women I have the right to protect myself. A right most women in other countries do not have. A right I will not take for granted.

The dog was biting her leg. Shoot all the rapists you want, but I would not recommend shooting point blank at something near your legs.

Guns are not the end all be all of self defense. There ARE situations where they aren't ideal and this is one of them.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

It's not the breed. Its the animal. Any dog, even a mini poodle can bite when not properly trained or kept on a leash.

A mini-poodle will not kill an adult. A pit bull can. And never, ever leave a dog of any breed alone with a small child.
  • amyschintler
    Options
    I once had a pit bull mix and he was the most harmless animal I have ever had. He was gentle and the only dangerous part of him was his tail. He wagged it so much the end was always bloody and scabbed. The breed is not the problem, but the way the dog is treated. I walk my dogs but always put them back on lead when I see other people or dogs approach. My dogs are not viscious or dangerous, and will always want to say hello to people, but are put back on lead just in case the person approaching is fearful. You need to report this to the proper authorities, do not let this owner get away with this.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options

This is total crap! Not all pits are nasty blood suckers!!!!! Do some research!!!!!! Pits were originally breed to NEVER bite a human! This could have easily been a protective golden retriever, doxen or any other breed that people would not be so quick to BAN!

I was a vet tech, I was also a euthanasia tech, I have been a dog trainer and worked in the dog and pet industry for 15 years! Guess what your cute beagles, chihuahuas, cocker spaniel are far quicker to bite the people trying to help them. Media propaganda on a breed no one takes the time to understand that HUMANS ruined pisses me off so BAD!

On to the OP:

I have been to defensive handling classes. NEVER put your hands up like you are protecting yourself, this will get you mauled every time. Make a wimpering noise and avert your eyes should the dog be threatening a bite. If it has not gotten to that extent yet than yes assert yourself as a human and a leader, making a gutteral "no noise" that eh eh sound and making a pointing motion with your arm will help most dogs to stay from you. Yes try some pepper spray, you can even try a water gun for that matter.

This is the fault of the owner for having a dog with protective instincts and not properly restrained to the property.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Good luck to you
  • retriev00
    retriev00 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is probably you're best strategy, but please wait until you are being aggressively being bit to use it.

Sometimes friendly dogs get away from there owners too. My puppy has got away from me a time or two, but he only brings doggy kisses.
  • reese66
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
    Even the initial post saying it was a "pit bull" that bit is unnecessary. Most people who talk about "pit bulls" don't even know that it's not a breed. And the fact that this one was obviously off the leash and not in a fenced in yard, makes me think that the owners aren't responsible, which are exactly the type of people who give these dogs a bad name.

The Breed is not all bad and should not be judged on a whole by some inbred bad apples!! I have a friend who raises Pits and they would lick you to death before the bite, unless you were to physically threaten or harm them or their family! I agree there are ones who were never abused that just have issues this is usually due to MAJOR in breeding, which again is not the fault of the animal, but of the breeders! There are bad apples in the human race too, that we just don't understand why they are the way they are, should we as humans be banned too??

Sorry for the soap box, but it just gets my goat the way this breed is so often villianized and that half the time,a "Pit" is not even a pit bull. There are many breed mixes that look like pit that are not... OK... Off the box now!

I am not blaming the dog, I blame the owner. The part the makes it even worse is she was in the back yard with the dog and the gate was open. Maybe the mention of pit bull was a little much but I would have said the breed no matter what it was being shepard, poodle or lab, hell if it was a turtle I would have said so..
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Yes, a breed originally bred as 'nanny dogs' has their instincts take over to baby sit the runner passing by them.

/sarcasm

Regrettably, it seems the owner of this particular pit did not train/socialize their dog correctly. It is important to report this type of thing to the authorities, even if it ends up putting the dog down, as the next person bit may be a child.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is probably you're best strategy, but please wait until you are being aggressively being bit to use it.

Sometimes friendly dogs get away from there owners too. My puppy has got away from me a time or two, but he only brings doggy kisses.

I would rather pepper spray 100 innocent dogs than be bit by one vicious one.

Most people don't go into defensive mode when there is a puppy happily wagging its tail and running towards them...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

REALLY!!! Come on.... There is NO BREED of bad dogs!!! There are irresponsible dog owners end of story.... I have raised German Shepards and Rottweilers all my life and have taken them through socializing puppy classes, all the way through CGC and advanced classes and NONE of my dogs EVER attacked an individual.... It is human stupidity that over breed the dogs and then chain them to poles and never socialize them or just let them roam that are to blame.. I have several friends with pitbulls that would not hurt a fly, are great family dogs.... To the OP, I would carry a bear spray or something along those lines. In a case where your life is in danger then all bets are off to the well being of the animal unfortunate for the dog but your life comes first... Responsible dog ownership is the solution but society is so quick to judge..... It just sad...... When my youngest granddaughter was born and my sge and my stepdaughter lived with us. I got very little sleep cause everytime she made a peep my Rottweiler would come and nudge me til I physically got out of bed and went to check on her... Vicious dog...... Right.....

All the Rotts I have met and had the great opportunity to be "family" with have been incredible. Like I said I am not blaming the dog or the breed I just want a way to protect myself. All dog breeds bite, it just so happens it was a Pitt.

Hand down Rottweilers are my favorite breed with my shepards coming in a close second... I owned a Timberwolve in my teens/20's that was easy to train but I never could completely socialize him (wild animals are always just that) but it just turns the hairs up on my neck when people throw these breeds under the bus!! That is when I will hit the soapbox.... My males are and was always harder to trajn because they will always test you for the Alpha role in the pack (Pack being my family) but my females very easy to train... My first female Rotty knew atleast 2-300 words and I could literally speaks sentances to her and she understood everything I was saying to her.. Miss her very much she lived to 12 years of age (top end of age of Rotts) but yes definitely do whatever you must to protect yourself in any dog attack situation, your health comes first... I hate animal abuse and it sucks when you are put in a postion to have to do this but it is a must to protect your life...
This discussion has been closed.