Too shy to run...

Options
123457»

Replies

• Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I should point out my shyness is not a weight related issue. I use to be a lot bigger than this and I feel good in myself for the weight I have lost, especially since working out and toning, I've gone from a UK 16 to a UK 10 and I am proud. I know I have a way to go, but I'm starting to be happy with my shape.

It's just more the judging for being unfit. I've never been able to run 30 minutes before, but I still use to have better stamina than this before I was sick (I use to run at the gym) and feel like I have just gone back to stage 1. I've had a serious issue with bullying in the past and it has really knocked me down my self esteem and I just picture being laughed at for being breathless and stopping etc. Childish I know, but it's something I am really going to work on beating. Have the alarm set for tomorrow fmorning at 6.30am to get out and have a run, failing that a good workout.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I think you'd be surprised to know how many people are actually cheering you on. I love to see other runners out there hitting the pavement and even though they can't hear me I cheer them on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with do run/walks. Girl just lace up your shoes and get your run on. You'll be happy you did! Good luck and have fun! :)
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Also try the c25k plan. If you go out there with a specific plan in mind then it may help you forget about the insecurities and just focus on your run.

www.coolrunning.com and click on c25k
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    NIKE
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    Hey, you've already lost 43 frigging pounds! What do you have to be shy about? You are doing an AWESOME job, and running will help you do even better. On my first run, I wheezed and gasped over about 2 miles and had to walk half of it. But you know what? NOBODY CARED.

I think it's inspirational whenever I see obviously 'new' runners out there. What motivation it takes to get out there the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd times! (Those first few times are hard, way harder than after you get into a routine.)

And I go out of my way to give them all a thumbs up, high five, fist bump, word of encouragement, whatever...

You should be proud of yourself. Now go strut your stuff!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Hey, you've already lost 43 frigging pounds! What do you have to be shy about? You are doing an AWESOME job, and running will help you do even better. On my first run, I wheezed and gasped over about 2 miles and had to walk half of it. But you know what? NOBODY CARED.

I think it's inspirational whenever I see obviously 'new' runners out there. What motivation it takes to get out there the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd times! (Those first few times are hard, way harder than after you get into a routine.)

And I go out of my way to give them all a thumbs up, high five, fist bump, word of encouragement, whatever...

You should be proud of yourself. Now go strut your stuff!

Ha ha thank you ^.^ I'm just getting ready to go now and was looking through here for my motivation to go, so I'm doing it >=3 I'm going to fly XD.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    You could try bike riding instead? I have the same problem...I hate to exercise when other people are watching. Plus, the last time I tried to go jogging, I tripped and gave myself road rash.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I found out the gym is running a cheap 6 week membership so signed up. If I can build some confidence on the treadmill then getting outside after should be a little easier
  • bearrac
    bearrac Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same issue but I just put my headphones in and shut out the outside world. I also find that it sometimes gives me the motivation to push myself...if I am running at the gym then I just potter along but outside if there are a load of people I am embaressed and so run faster past them...so although I am not getting over my embaressment I am getting faster :)

I recently ran a half marathon and had to train quite a lot and I still don't relish the run but the feeling afterwards...well, it is always worth it..I have NEVER returned home from a run and thought "I wish I hadn't bothered" even when I have been rained on. So, yeah, go for it and you won't regret it
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I got this sent to my email and wanted to pass it on. This is a good website to check out.

New post on Laura Must Lose Weight

Just Keep Running
    by Laura
    This morning instead of my normal Pure Cardio Friday ritual, I decided to go for a 6 mile run. It was cloudy and not very hot, so there were a lot of people out running before 7am. I ran by one woman who was bigger, she had to be at least 200 pounds, and the very first thought that came to my head was “good for her”. I then started thinking about how horribly insecure I was when I first started running, and how ridiculous it sounds to me now.

I have always really hated the treadmill, so when I decided to start running, it was going to be outside. I was about 40 pounds heavier when I first started running; thinking about running with a 40 pound vest on blows my mind a little bit. I remember that it was painful. The shaking and jiggling hurt, my hips hurt, and I kind of felt like I was about to go into cardiac arrest after running for 10 seconds. The one thing that I really remember though was how insecure and uncomfortable I felt while running. I thought that every fit runner that ran by was thinking how out of shape I looked. I thought any smiling or laughing group of people that I ran by were laughing at me and how I looked running. I thought that every person in every car was making fun of my size and how slowly I was going. Some were. I’ve had my fair share of things yelled out to me. Fatass, run faster, you suck, etc. I even had a construction worker holding a “slow” sign say to me “this sign is only for the cars” when I ran by him (okay, that was actually really funny--and still is) . I know that a lot of beginner runners, especially ones that are overweight , probably think these same things. The thing to remember is that not everyone thinks these things, and although being called a fatass by a complete stranger isn’t the best for your ego, that’s just it--they are COMPLETE STRANGERS. Who cares what they think? Who cares what anyone thinks? You have goals and should never let anyone get in the way of reaching them, especially 12 year old boys screaming out the window of a mini.

If saying that you don’t know them isn’t good enough, then use it to fuel you instead. Getting yelled at shouldn’t make you want to stop, it should make you want to keep going. Push harder. Use it as motivation. When I would run I would often picture myself in shape, and fit, and running easily instead of looking like I was about to stroke out. I pictured running in just a sports bra. I would love to see those people now. There are always going to be people trying to tear you down or tell you that you can’t do something. I can’t even tell you how many people told me that I couldn’t run a marathon because my quads are too big for distance running. Use the negativity as motivation. Forget what people think or what you think they are thinking. Keep your goals in the front on your mind , stay focused, and don’t let anything or anyone get in the way.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I dont really work out in public because, well, its public! But you know what, what people think has absolutely no effect on me. Think about that. How will youre life change if someone sees you trying to work out, Really!?. How will u be affected. It has no bearing on you personally. Only how YOU let it affect YOU. People can think and judge all they want, and they will. But it has nothing at all to do with you! Dont allow others judgment into your life, and if you do, use ot only as motivation!
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    simple you put on your headphones, look in front of you and start running, or walk/run, i use my running time as a way to get rid of stress, i don't pay attention to my surroundings and run as if I am there alone. good luck!!