Why is a man's attractiveness defined by his height???

Options

Replies

• calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Its always funny how women get mad at men for liking younger women or not liking big women but women will be the first to discriminate short guys. Its bad either way, people should give people a chance based on other things instead of height, weight, or age.
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I prefer taller men, but I married my husband over 13 years ago and he is only 5'4, same height as me... Personality can change a persons mind, if it doesn't, then it is time to move on anyway!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Its always funny how women get mad at men for liking younger women or not liking big women but women will be the first to discriminate short guys. Its bad either way, people should give people a chance based on other things instead of height, weight, or age.

I agree with this.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Yeah, so do I. :smile:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

That aside I suppose it's a Damsel Complex sort of thing. Some women want guys that are taller, broad-shouldered, and have muscles so that they can feel some sort of "safety" when in their arms.

No disagreements here..

Sometimes I like being rescued from dragons.. ;)
    European fairy tales frequently feature damsels in distress. Evil witches trapped Rapunzel in a tower, cursed the princess to die in Snow White, and put Sleeping Beauty into a magical sleep. In all of these, a valourous prince comes to the maiden's aid, saves her, and marries her (though Rapunzel is not directly saved by the prince, but instead saves him from blindness after her exile).

A number of tales in the One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights) also feature damsels in distress. A particularly influential Arabian Nights tale of this type was "The Ebony Horse", which revolves around the Prince of Persia, Qamar al-Aqmar, with the help of his flying mechanical horse, rescuing his lover, the Princess of Sana'a, from a Persian sage and then from the Byzantine Emperor. This story appears to have influenced later European tales such as Adenes Le Roi's Cleomades and "The Squire's Tale" told in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.[1]

The damsel in distress was an archetypal character of medieval romances, where typically she was rescued from imprisonment in a tower of a castle by a knight-errant. Chaucer's The Clerk's Tale of the repeated trials and bizarre torments of patient Griselda was drawn from Petrarch. The Emprise de l'Escu vert à la Dame Blanche (founded 1399) was a chivalric order with the express purpose of protecting oppressed ladies.

The theme also entered the official hagiography of the Catholic Church - most famously in the story of Saint George who saved a princess from being devoured by a dragon. A late addition to the official account of this Saint's life, not attested in the several first centuries when he was venerated, it is nowadays the main act for which Saint George is remembered.

Obscure outside Norway is Hallvard Vebjørnsson, the Patron Saint of Oslo, recognised as a martyr after being killed while valiantly trying to defend a woman - most likely a slave - from three men accusing her of theft.

Just point them out hun. Easy as that.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    i'm only 5'3, and i don't wear heals... everybody's taller :laugh:

^ and for me it's all about attitude and presence.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

That aside I suppose it's a Damsel Complex sort of thing. Some women want guys that are taller, broad-shouldered, and have muscles so that they can feel some sort of "safety" when in their arms.

No disagreements here..

Sometimes I like being rescued from dragons.. ;)
    European fairy tales frequently feature damsels in distress. Evil witches trapped Rapunzel in a tower, cursed the princess to die in Snow White, and put Sleeping Beauty into a magical sleep. In all of these, a valourous prince comes to the maiden's aid, saves her, and marries her (though Rapunzel is not directly saved by the prince, but instead saves him from blindness after her exile).

A number of tales in the One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights) also feature damsels in distress. A particularly influential Arabian Nights tale of this type was "The Ebony Horse", which revolves around the Prince of Persia, Qamar al-Aqmar, with the help of his flying mechanical horse, rescuing his lover, the Princess of Sana'a, from a Persian sage and then from the Byzantine Emperor. This story appears to have influenced later European tales such as Adenes Le Roi's Cleomades and "The Squire's Tale" told in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.[1]

The damsel in distress was an archetypal character of medieval romances, where typically she was rescued from imprisonment in a tower of a castle by a knight-errant. Chaucer's The Clerk's Tale of the repeated trials and bizarre torments of patient Griselda was drawn from Petrarch. The Emprise de l'Escu vert à la Dame Blanche (founded 1399) was a chivalric order with the express purpose of protecting oppressed ladies.

The theme also entered the official hagiography of the Catholic Church - most famously in the story of Saint George who saved a princess from being devoured by a dragon. A late addition to the official account of this Saint's life, not attested in the several first centuries when he was venerated, it is nowadays the main act for which Saint George is remembered.

Obscure outside Norway is Hallvard Vebjørnsson, the Patron Saint of Oslo, recognised as a martyr after being killed while valiantly trying to defend a woman - most likely a slave - from three men accusing her of theft.

Just point them out hun. Easy as that.

:heart: you cris!
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, so I prefer someone at least at eye level with me. Though, I have dated men shorter than 5'9" and it wasn't that big of a deal to me. That's just me, though.
  • s_mcdaniel
    Options
    As a woman who is 5'10", I can tell you that it is hard to feel feminine when you are taller than the average male. There is something very sexy about feeling small and feminine next to a man. Short girls CANNOT understand this. They have always felt this way. That being said...my husband and I are the same height. So just because it makes you feel pretty, it doesn't define your relationships.

I have to completely agree with this. I could not have said it better. I try not to only look at a man based on his height however all the men in my family are 6' and above. So its hard to now want my future husband to be the same way but in dating I try to take everything into consideration. I don't think I would date someone who is 5'5 or 5'1 but I try to look at their personality and all they have to offer before I simply say they are too short.
  • belrie
    belrie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    to the original poster, my boyfriend is 5'9, & to me, that's perfect! lots of women don't care about height, don't be down on yourself. :)
  • belrie
    belrie Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Yeah, so do I. :smile:

i just saw this & i have to say i agree entirely!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'7... I'd better hide before the horde comes.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'1''. I couldn't tell you, I am just attracted to men that are a bit taller then me. I'm 5'6'' btw.
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    as long as he is NOT shorter then me, I dont care :-) my SO is 2inches taller then me at 5'9"

+1
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and every lady I've ever dated has always said that they never cared about height but that I had spoiled them for life.
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    everyone is taller than me -- I'm 5' even :laugh:
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    i'm only 5'3, and i don't wear heals... everybody's taller :laugh:

me too :)
  • jennywenny13
    Options
    For me, I like to feel smaller and protected by my man. It doesn't matter his height, but he has to be taller than me...if he's taller than me in heels - EVEN BETTER! I love to lean my head on his shoulder when we hug... :flowerforyou:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I could slam dunk a basketball when I was 5'6 and the chicks seemed to really dig that...
  • nikic50
    nikic50 Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm 5'10" & my hubby is 6'7". I can stand on the bottom step of our stairs & be almost his height. I like it a lot!! I've also dated guys shorter than me (most of the time) & they were all jerks so maybe I'm just drawn to tall guys.
    My hubby has also stated that it would be cool to date a women that's 6' or taller just to see what it's like...I'm not signing that contract tho :laugh: