Why is a man's attractiveness defined by his height???

Options

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    im 6'5....chicks dig tall dudes I guess.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I always wanted to date super tall guys, but all the super tall guys I liked wanted to date teeny tiny girls! My hubby is 5'11, and I never feel I have to wear heels (which is A-OK for me!)
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I always wanted to date super tall guys, but all the super tall guys I liked wanted to date teeny tiny girls! My hubby is 5'11, and I never feel I have to wear heels (which is A-OK for me!)

It's crazy for the longest time I would only date shorties...and then I discovered the benefits of long legs!
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Warning probably TMI for some.
    It is not defined as attractive to me, my ex was 6 ft 2 and it really sucked, my neck was sore from looking up and/or kissing when we were first dating. Later, when we were married let's just say things weren't face to face in the bedroom, we could not even kiss while we were being intimate.
    My current and the rest of my life husband is about 5 ft 5 and it is so much better! We can look each other straight in the eyes while we stand face to face talking or kissing. I love that we can kiss and make love at the same time! I know way tmi but I am being honest about the subject.
    I think girls who want a guy who is super tall, especially much taller than her are shallow and only looking at it as a status thing.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Height doesn't make a difference to me...I'm 5'1 &1/2...I've dated guys from 5'6" to 6'8" (yeah, that one was interesting, LOL).
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 (and a half)"... I've only been with one and he is 6'2". I like it that way. It's a nice, safe feeling. Can't say I would not go out with shorter but I'm definitely attracted to 6' and up.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I love feeling like an Amazon. But to each her own.

Right there with ya. Which is probably why I've always been more interested in being muscular than skinny. I don't want/need a man to make me feel safe, I want that feeling whether I have a man around or not. And as for being "safer" with a taller/bigger man, I don't think that's necessarily true. My husband is 5'8", 185 lbs, trained in hand-to-hand combat and can bench a lot more than his 6'3", 300 lb cousin. In a fight, I'd much rather have my husband at my back than his lumbering oaf of a cousin.

Also, I think it takes a fair bit of confidence for a shorter guy to go for a taller girl and I dig that.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want a guy too much taller than me. I like someone more at eye level when talking. And of course, makes kissing at what not easier when there's less of a height difference!
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I tried to post yesterday, but messed up.
    I usually dated tall guys in my youth. Some were great and some jerks. My husband is 5'8" and has a big personality, very secure, very smart. I feel very safe around him. We have four sons and our tallest is only 5' 9.5"( still room to grow, so the ortho said) I have smart, good looking well rounded sons. Some have dated tall girls and some prefer the tiny ones. LOL My sons have not EVER had trouble attracting beautiful girls. This is my own observation, but it seems to me the shorter guys have great personalities and are usually so darned cute! They have to work a bit harder in everything. My youngest who is the tallest is a fantastic baseball player (college scholarship, yada yada) He sometimes would not get a second glance from some coaches, because he wasn't the 6'2" player that they wanted to fit their mold. Well, their loss.
    Just be secure with who you are, and if they have a problem with your height... it is just that "their problem"
    I do tell my sons if they want to bring some height into this family, marry TALL girls. :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I think girls who want a guy who is super tall, especially much taller than her are shallow and only looking at it as a status thing.

Nice generalising there.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

That aside I suppose it's a Damsel Complex sort of thing. Some women want guys that are taller, broad-shouldered, and have muscles so that they can feel some sort of "safety" when in their arms.

No disagreements here..

Sometimes I like being rescued from dragons.. ;)
    European fairy tales frequently feature damsels in distress. Evil witches trapped Rapunzel in a tower, cursed the princess to die in Snow White, and put Sleeping Beauty into a magical sleep. In all of these, a valourous prince comes to the maiden's aid, saves her, and marries her (though Rapunzel is not directly saved by the prince, but instead saves him from blindness after her exile).

A number of tales in the One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights) also feature damsels in distress. A particularly influential Arabian Nights tale of this type was "The Ebony Horse", which revolves around the Prince of Persia, Qamar al-Aqmar, with the help of his flying mechanical horse, rescuing his lover, the Princess of Sana'a, from a Persian sage and then from the Byzantine Emperor. This story appears to have influenced later European tales such as Adenes Le Roi's Cleomades and "The Squire's Tale" told in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.[1]

The damsel in distress was an archetypal character of medieval romances, where typically she was rescued from imprisonment in a tower of a castle by a knight-errant. Chaucer's The Clerk's Tale of the repeated trials and bizarre torments of patient Griselda was drawn from Petrarch. The Emprise de l'Escu vert à la Dame Blanche (founded 1399) was a chivalric order with the express purpose of protecting oppressed ladies.

The theme also entered the official hagiography of the Catholic Church - most famously in the story of Saint George who saved a princess from being devoured by a dragon. A late addition to the official account of this Saint's life, not attested in the several first centuries when he was venerated, it is nowadays the main act for which Saint George is remembered.

Obscure outside Norway is Hallvard Vebjørnsson, the Patron Saint of Oslo, recognised as a martyr after being killed while valiantly trying to defend a woman - most likely a slave - from three men accusing her of theft.

:love:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Its always funny how women get mad at men for liking younger women or not liking big women but women will be the first to discriminate short guys. Its bad either way, people should give people a chance based on other things instead of height, weight, or age.

*some women.

I couldn't give a damn if a man prefers younger women or doesn't like big women. Not unless I like him.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love feeling like an Amazon. But to each her own.

Right there with ya. Which is probably why I've always been more interested in being muscular than skinny. I don't want/need a man to make me feel safe, I want that feeling whether I have a man around or not. And as for being "safer" with a taller/bigger man, I don't think that's necessarily true. My husband is 5'8", 185 lbs, trained in hand-to-hand combat and can bench a lot more than his 6'3", 300 lb cousin. In a fight, I'd much rather have my husband at my back than his lumbering oaf of a cousin.

Also, I think it takes a fair bit of confidence for a shorter guy to go for a taller girl and I dig that.

Love this!!! My thoughts exactly. it is about the muscles. My husband is the same way as yours with the training. I'd take him any day over someone taller. believe me, he loves it when I wear the heels and am a little taller. He thinks it is sexy to walk around with a taller girl!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

That aside I suppose it's a Damsel Complex sort of thing. Some women want guys that are taller, broad-shouldered, and have muscles so that they can feel some sort of "safety" when in their arms.

No disagreements here..

Sometimes I like being rescued from dragons.. ;)
    European fairy tales frequently feature damsels in distress. Evil witches trapped Rapunzel in a tower, cursed the princess to die in Snow White, and put Sleeping Beauty into a magical sleep. In all of these, a valourous prince comes to the maiden's aid, saves her, and marries her (though Rapunzel is not directly saved by the prince, but instead saves him from blindness after her exile).

A number of tales in the One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights) also feature damsels in distress. A particularly influential Arabian Nights tale of this type was "The Ebony Horse", which revolves around the Prince of Persia, Qamar al-Aqmar, with the help of his flying mechanical horse, rescuing his lover, the Princess of Sana'a, from a Persian sage and then from the Byzantine Emperor. This story appears to have influenced later European tales such as Adenes Le Roi's Cleomades and "The Squire's Tale" told in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.[1]

The damsel in distress was an archetypal character of medieval romances, where typically she was rescued from imprisonment in a tower of a castle by a knight-errant. Chaucer's The Clerk's Tale of the repeated trials and bizarre torments of patient Griselda was drawn from Petrarch. The Emprise de l'Escu vert à la Dame Blanche (founded 1399) was a chivalric order with the express purpose of protecting oppressed ladies.

The theme also entered the official hagiography of the Catholic Church - most famously in the story of Saint George who saved a princess from being devoured by a dragon. A late addition to the official account of this Saint's life, not attested in the several first centuries when he was venerated, it is nowadays the main act for which Saint George is remembered.

Obscure outside Norway is Hallvard Vebjørnsson, the Patron Saint of Oslo, recognised as a martyr after being killed while valiantly trying to defend a woman - most likely a slave - from three men accusing her of theft.

:love:

"Beauty in distress is much the most affecting beauty."
    Edmund Burke

"Man, she looked as though she'd been thrown off the crummiest freight train in the world. Yet, in spite of this, I got the impression of beauty. Not the beauty of a movie actress, mind you, or the beauty you dream about when you're with your wife. But a natural beauty. A beauty that's almost homely because it's so real."
    -Martin Goldsmith, and Edgar G. Ulmer. Al Roberts (Tom Neal), Detour, narrating as he thinks about his hitchhiker, Vera (Ann Savage) (1945). Based on Goldsmith's original story.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9 male who I think is fairly attractive but was told that I would be much more attractive if I was only 6 ft tall. Ladies, why is a man's attractiveness defined by his height? Why is height soooo important to women

To the OP - you're not short at 5'9. Ignore those that made you believe that. :flowerforyou:
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I like men of all sizes although my S.O. is 6'4 and I am 5'3. They are kinda like boobs. If they were all the same size they would not be nearly as fun to look at.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Height has never been important to me.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    For the same reason I love short girls!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It doesn't to me. The most attractive man in my mind is Jin Akanishi. He'll only like 5'9 and he's got a small build because he's Japanese. I guess a lot of women here in the US wouldnt find him attractive cuz he's not big, nor could he ever be. But it's not about height to me, never has been. I've dated guys that were close to my height, 5'5