Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Please don't call it sustainable unless you've lost all the weight doing it and kept it off for a year. Then you can claim sustainability. If you've only been doing it for a couple months and haven't met your goal, you should make no such claim.

Then how do you explain to the people who have posted here it doesn't work. Did you bother to read all of the threads... If this works for people so be it. I also think it rude for you to say if you only have done this for a couple of months you should make no such claim... Are you a nutritionist???.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 per day, with maybe 2 overages per month for treats or holidays, and never eating back more than 200 exercise calories, since January 1st. I've lost 33lbs so far.

Edited to add: I don't consistently eat back those 200 exercise calories, just rarely. For example I burned 915 calories yesterday, and my gross calories wound up being 1400 after I had some popcorn. I still net well below 1200. And most days, no matter how much I exercise, I won't eat beyond 1200. Just depends on how I feel, really. I've been lucky in that I don't feel absurdly hungry at any point.

It works for me but won't work for everyone. And when it stops working - I'm going to change it.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 a day without eating back exercise calories before I used MFP from August to November and lost a fair chunk of weight in that time. I stayed on 1200 but ate back some exercise calories since using MFP and continued to lose a fair bit of weight. I only more recently changed my loss per week goals and upped the calories because I suddenly realized I was way too close to goal to keep aiming for 2 pounds a week. Anyhoo, all that to say, the bulk of my loss has been on 1200
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have. 1200 calories of low carb (no grain) eating, some days a bit less. Low carb keeps me from getting hungry.

I tried doing 1400 calories for a month or so but nothing happened. So now I do max. 1200.
    BUT-- I'm short. I have small bones. And I'm older than most of you.

Oh yeah-- and I don't eat back exercise calories.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight eating less than that (I was eating 1000 for the first few months), now I am eating 1300 working up to 1500 since I have started lifting weights.

I think 41.5 lbs. is significant, but honestly I am watching my body fat percentage more than my body weight at this point, I want to get to 25% body fat.

Editing to say I eat 40-45% protein, 30-35% carbs, and 20% fat, never over 30 grams a day, and it has been that way from the start, still is, I just eat more food.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat under 1200 most days and have lost over 25 pounds since Jan. 1. I am only 5 ft 2 inch and small boned so that is all I need. I am seldom hungry and more often find myself not hungry to eat the whole 1200. IMO I do not believe the 1200 is some magic number. Good luck to you.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Lost 80 pounds on 1,200 calories a day, have kept that weight off within 10-15 pounds (life) for the past decade. About 8-9/10ths of the past decade (considering all of life's curveballs, parties, holiday splurges, random splurges, etc) I've ate just around 1,200 calories per day. I've gone through VLCDs now and again just because and always bounce back to a comfortable 1,200. It may be important to note that for 8/10ths (or so) of the last decade I've been primarily vegan (sometimes raw).

I think that's pretty sustainable.

fwiw: 5'3 1/2, 22 y/o, not active (at all), 108-123 pounds. I'm not starving. I feel that I'm a pretty happy person, never cranky (ok - I lied, sometimes I get cranky with people :P ). The last time I went to the doctor was a few years ago for a wisdom tooth, never had a major (or minor) health problems (edit: since getting to a healthy weight range on 1,200 calories); in fact, I never get sick. I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.

The only cons I've noticed so far, which may or may not be related to my calories is occasional bouts of cold when I start losing weight after gaining a good 10 or so pounds. I think this happens to everyone though, based on what I've seen here. Other than that, my hair sheds every few months, but that could be because of how much I do to it (lots of chemical treatments and bleach), and I get dark circles under my eyes sometimes that fade during the day (though, I usually only sleep for about 4-5 hrs a day which IS super unhealthy, IMO).
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Lost 80 pounds on 1,200 calories a day, have kept that weight off within 10-15 pounds (life) for the past decade. About 8-9/10ths of the past decade (considering all of life's curveballs, parties, holiday splurges, random splurges, etc) I've ate just around 1,200 calories per day. I've gone through VLCDs now and again just because and always bounce back to a comfortable 1,200. It may be important to note that for 8/10ths (or so) of the last decade I've been primarily vegan (sometimes raw).

fwiw: 5'3 1/2, 22 y/o, not active (at all), 108-123 pounds. I'm not starving. I feel that I'm a pretty happy person, never cranky. The last time I went to the doctor was a few years ago for a wisdom tooth, never had a major (or minor) health problems; in fact, I never get sick. I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.

Did I misunderstand your post or you have been eating this way since you are teen? you are so young...
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

fwiw: 5'3 1/2, 22 y/o, not active (at all), 108-123 pounds. I'm not starving. I feel that I'm a pretty happy person, never cranky. The last time I went to the doctor was a few years ago for a wisdom tooth, never had a major (or minor) health problems; in fact, I never get sick. I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.

Did I misunderstand your post or you have been eating since you are teen? you are so young...

I've been eating since I was born, actually! :P When I was 12 I started having chest pains, no energy, shortness of breath, all kinds of complications - I was 5 ft, 180 lbs. Dropped to 100 after dieting and my body balanced out to about 108-112.
  • kespinoza2013
    kespinoza2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was on the flip side of this discussion....I got sick and lot a lot of weight fast..so naturally MFP lowered my calorie goal to about 1250... I decided to try it out but it just wasn't working....I think my body was just not ready for that and it was a bad choice...so I made the leap and upped my calories to 1500 and I have been losing again!
  • tbogart1
    tbogart1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I haven't lost a significant amount yet but I am seeing steady weight loss since really sticking to MFP and setting my calories at 1200. I am on daily logging everything and try not to eat my exercise calories as much as possible. I do 15 mins a day of strength training and 30 mins of freestyle dancing. It is working so good and I finally feel that I am in control and I don't beat myself up anymore. I just aim to make each day as successful as I can. I know every day is different but I'm happy as long as I'm seeing the steady progress. I've lost weight before and had no muscle tone so I encourage anyone to do the exercise so you'll be happy with your final result. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

fwiw: 5'3 1/2, 22 y/o, not active (at all), 108-123 pounds. I'm not starving. I feel that I'm a pretty happy person, never cranky (ok - I lied, sometimes I get cranky with people :P ). The last time I went to the doctor was a few years ago for a wisdom tooth, never had a major (or minor) health problems (edit: since getting to a healthy weight range on 1,200 calories); in fact, I never get sick. I can't remember the last time I even had a cold.

The only cons I've noticed so far, which may or may not be related to my calories is occasional bouts of cold when I start losing weight after gaining a good 10 or so pounds. I think this happens to everyone though, based on what I've seen here. Other than that, my hair sheds every few months, but that could be because of how much I do to it (lots of chemical treatments and bleach), and I get dark circles under my eyes sometimes that fade during the day (though, I usually only sleep for about 4-5 hrs a day which IS super unhealthy, IMO).

You've just completely contradicted yourself. You say you've kept to 1200 for the past decade (since you were 12!!!) and can't remember every getting getting sick, then you say you get bouts of cold, your hair is falling out, you don't sleep and you have bags under your eyes! Sounds super healthy to me :noway:
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

You've just completely contradicted yourself. You say you've kept to 1200 for the past decade (since you were 12!!!) and can't remember every getting getting sick, then you say you get bouts of cold, your hair is falling out, you don't sleep and you have bags under your eyes! Sounds super healthy to me :noway:

Yes, since I was 12. I think being a 180lb 5ft kid who has chest pains and can't breathe is a little more unhealthy, and SINCE then (as you'll notice in my edit), I don't remember getting sick (unless said wisdom tooth counts, that really blew). However, the things I listed don't really constitute as 'sick' for me, my reasoning below:

I do have bouts of cold, and as my notation states:
    www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search - search the word freezing. It's only when I'm shedding a few pounds, and again, I think it's a very common occurrence. Due to this, I do not believe it is an ailment. It does not effect me adversely in anyway, except that I have to stock socks.

My hair falls out, ON OCCASION, it sheds - which, again, as my notation states, could very well be from the keratin I have done and regular bleaching. It's not like handfuls; it's just pesky strands once every 6-7 months or so and lasts about 2-3 weeks before it's back to shed-free. I really don't think this has anything to do with my calories, but I figured it was worth a mention (just incase). Having to brush your hair more =/= sick, as it isn't accompanied by any other symptoms.

I don't sleep - that's true. I don't believe my sleeping problems can be directly related to my caloric intake, however - I have a family of insomniacs, and regardless of my calorie intake (even when I'm eating WAY more), I still don't sleep. I figured it was also worth mention, just incase, but now that I think about it it's kind of a moot point - don't people who are starving sleep a LOT because their bodies can't properly function to do anything laborious/calorie expending? Just a hypothesis - I really have no idea. Maybe if I ate more calories over a period of time I'd sleep better, it is something to consider. Kinda lost on this, so mentioned it on the chance that it is related and is a downfall. Anyway, I don't feel that this makes me 'sick' because I function very well despite my sleeping problems and do not feel tired throughout the day.

I don't have 'bags' under my eyes, I have dark pigmentation under my eyes until the day goes on. Never had bags. Looks something like this for about 3 hours after I wake up, then they miraculously vanish (I'm actually really curious what it is):
    Types-of-Dark-Circles-Under-eyes.jpg - this could be because of sleep issues, or maybe a lack of a particular vitamin that I may otherwise get if I ate more, dunno.

ETA: Looked at the webpage that pic comes from, could be any of the following, really:
    Heredity (no)
    Stress (yes)
    Improper Diet (possibility; certainly I am lacking quite a few essentials, only so much 1,200 can do, but I'm leaning towards the last option because, now reflecting, I believe that's when it started, bad sleep may be off the hook!)
    Sickness (no)
    Contraceptive Drugs (yes)

I said 'no' to sickness because, again, no other adverse effects. Could be dietary (reasons stated above), could be birth control pills (highly likely), or a combo of the two!

That being said, this doesn't hit me all at once. To reiterate, hair shedding approx. every 6-7 months for about 2-3 weeks. Cold only when losing a few pounds (once a year or so). If I had all of these symptoms everyday all day, I would be highly concerned. Considering I haven't died in the last 10 years though, I think I may be okay!

In closing, I could be slowly killing myself and completely delusional but, well, I feel pretty good!
  • hitchnpst
    Options
    Thank you
  • hitchnpst
    Options
    You look fabulous :) I know people in my age group (mid 40s) who look older than you!

On topic:
    As others have mentioned, calories:exercise is intensely personalized and depends on you-your genetics, your environment, your behaviors, how your body responds. That said, there is value in learning from others and I'd rather others learn more quickly than I did, soooo:

SW 228 GW 128

I've yo-yoed a couple times. Previously I've used the Tap and Track app. only switched to MFP this month, as the food logging is much easier and uses bar code tech. Also, I am enjoying the community...anyway, I learned during my last two bouts of weight loss that 1200 works well for me, when I need to lose 60 lbs +. Once I got within 30-40 lbs of my goal weight I plateaued. Without the exercising, the weight loss started fast, 3-4 lbs per week, then slowed over time to a few ounces a week the closer to the 50 lbs loss mark I got.

What I learned was I needed to add a couple hundred calories a day at that point, or add one cheat day or meal (depending upon how I felt) a week, and exercise, 3-5 days a week of cardio/strength mix.

This time I am taking what I learned, and doing the following: I did approx. 1000 cals per day for the first 6 weeks with no exercising to jump start the weight loss. After losing about 25 lbs, I began to plateau. I increased to1200 cals per day, and added one hour of exercise 3-5 days per week, and as my endurance increased I am now at one hour of cardio/strength a day. I have about 75 lbs to lose at this point. (Please remember to take into account I had 100 lbs to lose. That is why I felt safe drastically cutting my caloric intake in the beginning for a short period of time.)

I expect, once I lose another 20-25 lbs, I will have to increase my caloric intake again to closer to my maintenance diet in order to keep losing. I will also have to make certain I switch up my exercise routine every ten days or so, to keep challenging different muscle groups, and make certain I am exercising at the correct intensity. But I will wait until the next plateau to make that decision.
    Edited by thirteeninches On April 26, 2014 8:53 AM
  • hitchnpst
    Options
    Thank you, I am always open to healthy tips...Good Advice!
  • corksterfl87
    corksterfl87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week eating around 1000-1200 calories a day. I am not hungry, but I have to really restrict what I eat in order to maintain this goal. I am thinking of increasing my calories to see if that makes a differences, but I am worried about gaining.

I'm eating 900 calories...but I'm worried as well if i increase my calories.
  • marcksh
    marcksh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10lbs (about 1 lbs/week) on 1200 cal diet. Some days i am over, some days i am under but it averages out and weekly I am never over. I don't starve, am rarely hungry and allow myself to have treats about once a week. I'd say it is going fine :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week eating around 1000-1200 calories a day. I am not hungry, but I have to really restrict what I eat in order to maintain this goal. I am thinking of increasing my calories to see if that makes a differences, but I am worried about gaining.

I'm eating 900 calories...but I'm worried as well if i increase my calories.

Still losing weight at this point to reach goal?

If so, what do you think the weight is exactly?

And since you have to eat loss to keep losing as you weigh less, where do you see possible maintenance being where you don't gain or lose?
    And is that sustainable with whatever level of exercise is required right now along with that 900?

I guess if well under 5 ft that's life, but if above, yikes.
  • Tallulah827
    Options
    I've lost just 4lbs in about as many weeks but I have been eating most of my exercise calories back and I think that is what is stalling further weight loss. I haven't lost anything in just over a week now. Haven't gained either though at least.