Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the 1200 for the first four weeks and in the first two weeks I dropped 8 pounds. In the third week I dropped 1. In the fourth week I actually gained back two. And I was cranky and miserable and hungry. I know it works for some people but for me personally 1200 was too low. I calculated my BMR and my TDEE and using those two numbers I set myself at 1650. I usually don't get that high, though. I tend to stick around 1500. I've been doing that for about five days and I am hoping it helps (haven't weighed in yet). I definitely feel less cranky though, haha :)

Thanks, this input helped! I've had about the same experience as you and have been feeling really tired lately.... (not cranky tho' :wink: ) I looked up my BMR and think I'll adjust accordingly.... Thanks!
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 lbs in 15 months sticking to 1200 calories and it's worked for me.

Good luck!

Mia
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the 1200 for the first four weeks and in the first two weeks I dropped 8 pounds. In the third week I dropped 1. In the fourth week I actually gained back two. And I was cranky and miserable and hungry. I know it works for some people but for me personally 1200 was too low. I calculated my BMR and my TDEE and using those two numbers I set myself at 1650. I usually don't get that high, though. I tend to stick around 1500. I've been doing that for about five days and I am hoping it helps (haven't weighed in yet). I definitely feel less cranky though, haha :)

Thanks, this input helped! I've had about the same experience as you and have been feeling really tired lately.... (not cranky tho' :wink: ) I looked up my BMR and think I'll adjust accordingly.... Thanks!

All of this. I tried it, and it was horrible It messed up my hormonal balance badly. Then I started lifting and was able to lose body fat, while preserving lean body mass, slowly and steadily at 2200. Now I maintain at 2550.

This calculator is the closest I've found to matching my true TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging on MFP I was on 1200 calories and not even always meeting that. I'd been losing weight the same way for a year. I never ate back exercise calories. I lost around 30-35lbs in a year I guess. At some point (can't remember when) I decided to increase my calorie to 1500 after reading loads on the forums about TDEE and so on. I continued to lose weight, and my body changed even more significantly I think. I lost my hips for the first time in years! I was exercising a lot, and am a very active person anyway, so I think I actually needed those extra calories to make my weight loss more effective. I lost about 67lbs overall.

Now I'm pregnant and overdue, and my third trimester goal has been 2000 calories as I've continued exercising. When I go back to losing weight (which I will have to. Despite exercise and healthy eating I will have still gained in pregnancy!) I'm going to stick with 2000 and gradually reduce to 1500. I won't go as low as 1200 again.

I do think you can lose on 1200, but if you can lose the same or better on higher calories, then why restrict so much.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and have lost. I also walk daily. Just started some strength training as well. I got my diet/food plan from my doctor. I am also insulin resistance, so he put me on low carb, high protein/fat and its done well by me. I actually feel better than I have in years. I've been able to get rid of my CPAP, have more energy, sleep less. And my muscle mass hasn't suffered whatsoever. But I'm 5' 2" and 60 yrs, female, so I don't need more than that. I check in every 3 months with my doctor and he hasn't changed anything. So, I'm sticking with it. Oh, adding that I've been doing this since July 2013, started with MFP August 2013 so as of today, I'm actually down a total of 101#.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Every person on the planet that's taller than 4'5" and lacks a metabolic disorder will be able to lose on a 1200 calorie diet.

Should you? Probably not due to:

* the lightly high rate of muscle loss which will decrease metabolism which will increase the chances of a repeat yo-yo

* the likelihood that you're not getting enough micro nutrients due to the fact that most people don't scrutinize every bite that goes in their mouths which you have to do when consuming so few calories

* the increased likelihood of not being able to sustain that low level of intake and thus giving up before a goal is reached

Or do it. Good luck.
  • daydreambelieverxo
    Options
    I have been on the 1200-1300 cal one and only eat my extra cals from exercise when i'm hungry and I've lost 40 lbs since I started MFP, 60 from my heaviest. I mean we all have our cheat days, but it seems to be working for me :) Best of luck
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200 a day and only eat more when I'm hungry. I find it to be pretty sustainable. The best part is if you stick with it for a while, when you do get super hungry and want to eat a lot, your stomach probably shrunk and you can't.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with starving my body of the fuel it needs so I always eat more than 1200. Im at 1710 plus I eat at least half of my workout calories. I have lost 11 pounds so far (in about 7 weeks) and I feel great because I am making a healthy lifestyle change I'm not on a diet. I think you should eat more. Take it as you wish...
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Please don't call it sustainable unless you've lost all the weight doing it and kept it off for a year. Then you can claim sustainability. If you've only been doing it for a couple months and haven't met your goal, you should make no such claim.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    When I tried to lose weight a couple of years ago, I didn't know better so I simply followed 1200 a day and lost 10 pounds very quickly. Then I started feeling exhausted and slowly going back to eat more...and adding exercise...Then my weight went back up to the starting point...and stayed there for these past 2 years...frustrated yes but I can't to back to eating that little any more...right now I just enjoy working out every day and eat until I am not hungry...weight loss wise, nothing; but body recomposition wise, yes I see big difference. Having said that I would stil want to lose 10 pounds so I can run faster...
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 in January. Lost nothing the first few weeks (I was so bad at logging now that I look back), and lost 21lb in the three months following (with some health bumps along the way). I do wish I'd started off higher, now that I know so much more about calories-in calories-out, but I'd never been successful losing weight before and 1200 was working so I was to scared to change. With exercise calories to eat back, 1200 is fairly easy to deal with. But I haven't been able to exercise recently and 1200 is just NOT enough for me. Makes me very hangry.

I have been upping my calories *very* slowly recently (adding 20 calories every Monday). This past week I lost 2.2lb on 1260cals, the most I've lost in a week since starting. Next week it'll be up to 1280, then 1300 but I think I'll probably leave it at 1300 for a while then re-evaluate. I very rarely slip up or feel like giving up.

I don't know, it's all a learning curve and I DO think I'll be able to keep this weight off (should meet my goal by August). I'm pretty smart about portion control now and my portions were really the biggest reason I put on so much weight in the first place.
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1200, but I use MFP combined with Fitbit, so I typically have an extra 400-500 calories added by Fitbit to my goal. I tend to eat 1400-1600 per day and am losing. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    I started at 1200 in January. Lost nothing the first few weeks (I was so bad at logging now that I look back), and lost 21lb in the three months following (with some health bumps along the way). I do wish I'd started off higher, now that I know so much more about calories-in calories-out, but I'd never been successful losing weight before and 1200 was working so I was to scared to change. With exercise calories to eat back, 1200 is fairly easy to deal with. But I haven't been able to exercise recently and 1200 is just NOT enough for me. Makes me very hangry.

I have been upping my calories *very* slowly recently (adding 20 calories every Monday). This past week I lost 2.2lb on 1260cals, the most I've lost in a week since starting. Next week it'll be up to 1280, then 1300 but I think I'll probably leave it at 1300 for a while then re-evaluate. I very rarely slip up or feel like giving up.

I don't know, it's all a learning curve and I DO think I'll be able to keep this weight off (should meet my goal by August). I'm pretty smart about portion control now and my portions were really the biggest reason I put on so much weight in the first place.

Forgive me to ask. if you are "bad" at logging, how could you keep calories so accurate, down to 20 calories? That's amazing...
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Started here on 1450 calories (6/7/12), changed after losing to 1250 calories (3/10/13)
    Sedentary and had over 130 lbs to lose
    I usually don't eat my exercise calories back, if I do its no more than 200.
    I walk 3-5 miles a day per RunKeeper, Fitbit, HRM, but work from home computer job and if I didn't go out walking after work, I'd be sitting on recliner till bedtime...yep sedentary
    I don't feel I need to have cheat days, cheat meals etc ..I work what I want to eat (fast food, chocolate, junk food etc) into my diary.
    Yes if I am hungry, I will of course eat,but eating for the sake of eating got me morbidly obese in the first place.
    Everyone's body/metabolism is different, one has to take age, metabolism, health issues etc into consideration.
    My doctor's have been supportive of my weight loss and how I've done it.

Fantastic job , buddy
  • mommy22alyns
    mommy22alyns Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28 lbs since January 1 with 1200 calories. I'm not hungry or cranky at all. I was inspired by a woman on another board I visit who lost half her body weight on 1200 calories.
  • albayin
    Options
    I've lost 28 lbs since January 1 with 1200 calories. I'm not hungry or cranky at all. I was inspired by a woman on another board I visit who lost half her body weight on 1200 calories.

forgive me but 3 months is still too early to say "forever". But it could be just me who has very weak will power hence relapsed at the end of 3 months.. if you feel good then keep it up.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Forgive me to ask. if you are "bad" at logging, how could you keep calories so accurate, down to 20 calories? That's amazing...

I said I *was* bad at logging? Hence why I lost nothing in the first month. I was picking generic things, random brands, not weighing... I'm pretty accurate at logging, now and losing steadily.
  • Alsharqia
    Alsharqia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did lost 12 pounds with 1200 calories. l was little hungry at night in the beginning but not any more
    consuming of lots of water and two cups of green tea helped to remove the sense of hunger.

Good luck
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 when I first started out on my weight loss journey a few years ago - it was doctor issues. Also doing 1-3 hours of work out 6-7 days a week and not eating back (would not recommend to ANYONE). I stopped this when I got my tonsils out. I tried to get back on and I just couldn't do it. I realized how much I really did a toll on my body.

I had done so many different diet levels from 1600 calories to 500 calories, then went on Weight Watcher Points (I did not pay for the stuff, I did it on my own)

*NOW* I am allowing myself 1350 calories and trying not to go over 90 minutes of workout a day and having at least 2-3 workout break days. I still do not eat my calories back, or if I do it is no more than 200 that I eat back. I am actually not as hungry or miserable as I use to be when I did the 1200. I feel like I am getting enough to eat of what I want to eat (healthy and not) and it makes me happy. I just started up again a few days ago and I feel so great and it is so amazing. I have actually been giving advice to my friends that are going on the journey with me and they asked me about the 1200 and everyone's body is different, but if you do do it and you work out then eat back your calories and/or don't do as extreme as I did. Why it was slightly-healthy it was just too much.

Most of all you have to remember to keep yourself happy and not miserable. In the end that is the most important thing.