Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options
Hi!!

So, MFP has me on 1200 calories a day plus obviously the exercise calories I spend. It still seems a bit low. I was wondering who has stayed on the 1200 calories diet and stuck with it and lost a significant amount of weight? Any advice? Did you find it worked for you or you needed to add more calories! Just curious! I know everyone is different but I was just hoping for some feed back! And to see that it's worked for people! :) Thanks!!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have stuck with the 1200 calories a day, I don't always eat my exercise calories back, I only eat them back when I am hungry. I haven't lost a significant amount, 8 pounds, but I am losing and still losing so hopefully soon it will be a significant amount for me. :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Personally I go with the 1,390 option. I was starving on the 1,200 calorie one, even when I ate back my exercise calories!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have not lost a significant amount of wt, but I have lost 30lbs so far. Some days are lower and some days are higher than 1200 (more lower days). I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You do have the ability to change that number, you're not stuck at 1,200! =)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have lost on the 1200 with eating exercise calories back as needed/desired. I've gone through a few rough spells (related to life events and stress, not feeling deprived) and didn't bother counting at all at times. I think I joined in March and have lost about 16 lbs. I didn't have tons to lose to begin with, so I'm happy with that. I tend to feel hungrier when I am eating more and struggle more to stay in my calorie goals when I eat more.
  • brandy2076
    brandy2076 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat around there most days - but some go over of course. I have lost 20lbs, but I have a lot to lose.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 110 lbs on 1200 calories plus lower carb.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    It works very well for me (more so than if I were doing 1500 +)

I have lost around 35 lbs so far in the past 1.5 months... and that includes 2 weeks of total cheating.
  • irish9229
    irish9229 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm just a few weeks in and have lost 4lbs so far.
    I feel like the 1200 is doable. Planning ahead and knowing what I'm going to eat ahead of time/for the day has been really helpful.
    The problem I have is that I workout at night after my kids are in bed and I am not going to eat back those calories at 9:00 at night.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    When I first started MFP I did 1200 calories. I didnt eat back my calories.I didnt know I was suppose to. I hardly ever had a cheat day. I worked out 7 days a week.
    I lost 40lbs, very quickly. HOWEVER. I think I may have damaged myself. I binge now. I never had ever done that before.
    I gain weight super easily now. I should be able to maintain my weight at 2000 calories a day, but I cant seem to.
    I put some of the weight back on and it just will not come off. I think my body is holding on to it in case I decide to starve myself again.
  • AmyG27
    AmyG27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am at 1280 a day. I find that when I eat within 30 minutes of waking up, and then about every 2 to 3 hours, I do good. I eat a lot of veggies and low cal small meals. Helps me feel full all day.. plus, water! :) Good luck!!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds so far on the 1200 calorie diet. I honestly don't feel hungry but I was nearly 60lbs away from my goal weight when I started so I do have a fairly high amount of weight to lose. I will eat an additional 100-150 calories if I start to experience headaches, and I don't kill myself over that "extra" if it happens. Also, I only eat back calories if I exceed 350 calories burned in a workout.
  • MadiRose2
    MadiRose2 Posts: 145
    Options
    Me!! I started at 151 pounds, I am down to 140 pounds, and I have been on a 1,050 calorie diet. I have not lost a noticeable amount of lean mass, it is all fat it seems. If you eat the right foods, you aren't hungry all the time.
  • mrsheu
    mrsheu Posts: 30
    Options
    Yes, I have been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week eating around 1000-1200 calories a day. I am not hungry, but I have to really restrict what I eat in order to maintain this goal. I am thinking of increasing my calories to see if that makes a differences, but I am worried about gaining.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 pounds over the past 2 months on a roughly 1200 calorie diet. I have lost 10 pounds since joining here...
  • texaslonghorn42
    texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did a very strict 1200 calorie diet in the past and I lost weight - like 30 pounds. However I wasn't exercising so ended up with some flab and was not toned, and I gained the weight back because I could not stay at 1200 calories. MFP does have me again at 1200 calories, however, I make sure to exercise pretty much every day and then I can eat back about half of my exercise calories so I am not starving all the time. It is probably going to take me longer to lose the weight but hopefully I will be more toned and will be able to maintain the lifestyle.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal on 1200.

Now I am slowly adding more calories to see if I can maintain.
  • marystingley
    Options
    It's worked for me. Before I had a baby I had to lose 25-30 pounds, and now after, I'm almost to my goal weight.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Me!! I started at 151 pounds, I am down to 140 pounds, and I have been on a 1,050 calorie diet. I have not lost a noticeable amount of lean mass, it is all fat it seems. If you eat the right foods, you aren't hungry all the time.

Be prepared for the flaming :frown:
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I find that it is good enough, I didn't want to shock my body though because MFP suggested 1400 for me, but I want to lose a good amount of weight by a certain time, so I am doing 1300. I find that if I eat small meals throughout the day, I don't feel hungry, and if I do eat something larger to use my calories, I exercise to "win" them back. hahaha. Then I eat some more. I've been dropping weight like crazy and I still feel amazing. ;)