Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• LJSchmitt
    LJSchmitt Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Although I have been on MFP only a week, I was dieting on my own for the last two months. I have lost around 40 pounds so far, the last 6 1/2 in the last 2 weeks. I've tried to stay as close to 1200 a day as possible -- but sometimes I have more. Healthy Choice dinners, grilled chicken, tuna and lots of salad has worked for me. I also take Acai Berry and Raspberry Ketones, I know they work for some and not others but for me, they work. I don't feel like I'm starving to death all the time. It may be just in my head but as long as it works who cares.
  • irish9229
    irish9229 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have not lost a significant amount of wt, but I have lost 30lbs so far. Some days are lower and some days are higher than 1200 (more lower days). I don't eat my exercise calories.

I think 30lbs is significant! Well done!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1350. I don't purposefully eat back exercise calories. I've lost 78 lbs in 15 months between a healthy diet and exercise (both cardio and lifting). I eats lots of food, so I never have an "I'm starving" moment.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the 1200 for the first four weeks and in the first two weeks I dropped 8 pounds. In the third week I dropped 1. In the fourth week I actually gained back two. And I was cranky and miserable and hungry. I know it works for some people but for me personally 1200 was too low. I calculated my BMR and my TDEE and using those two numbers I set myself at 1650. I usually don't get that high, though. I tend to stick around 1500. I've been doing that for about five days and I am hoping it helps (haven't weighed in yet). I definitely feel less cranky though, haha :)
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It works very well for me (more so than if I were doing 1500 +)

I have lost around 35 lbs so far in the past 1.5 months... and that includes 2 weeks of total cheating.

35 lbs in 6 weeks?? and 2 of those were cheat weeks? That's an average loss of almost 6 lbs/wk without even factoring in the cheat weeks...

Not quite sure what to say about that...
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11lbs so far, eating at a 1,200 calorie goal, most of it lost within a 2 month period. Since I eat a high fiber diet, Ive found that most days it's actually hard to eat everything I've planned because I get so full. I think it's all about the food choices you make that will determine your success. Some days I'm hungrier than others, though, and I can fluctuate from 1,100 to 1,300 calories. I do think it's ideal to eat at your BMR, though. And most days I find that i naturally do that, as my BMR is around 1,205-1,220 and I eat around there everyday.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 a day and have lost 21lbs since the first week of May. I exercise (30 day shred or elliptical) 5 days a week, and I eat back my calories if I get hungry. I find I am less hungry eating lots of vegetables and drinking lots of liquids. I've found with the elliptical, it really curbs my appetite, somehow!
  • crysiebrown
    crysiebrown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work out around 9:00 too and it's a good thing so our exercise calories help fight the weight we already have! I do not eat my exercise calories.
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    ChristiMightGetFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It seems to be working for me! :) I've lost 14lbs so far :) I eat 6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism up. LOTS of veggies, lean meats, and fruit. That way I feel more full because they are low calorie foods and I can eat more of those foods. I am usually hungry enough to eat more than 1200 though so I make sure I do some sort of exercise so that I can eat more calories....oh yeah and lots of water!
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Worked for me too, although I will say it has trained me to eat healthier - I cannot feel satisfied eating chocolate, it MUST be vegetables because you can eat sooo much more.

One chocolate bar is like your whole days calories - so not worth it anymore.

Change sucks but for me, it's for the better.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    57 lbs. :)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options

I have lost around 35 lbs so far in the past 1.5 months... and that includes 2 weeks of total cheating.

35 lbs in 6 weeks?? and 2 of those were cheat weeks? That's an average loss of almost 6 lbs/wk without even factoring in the cheat weeks...

Well if you want to say anything, you could say congratulations.... a morbidly obese person can lose more quickly than someone with 40 lbs to lose.

PS: I'm not morbidly obese anymore just "obese".
  • aswandacorbett
    aswandacorbett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200 calorie diet and I have lost 12 lbs. I reallyt ry to exercise to make up for the difference if I am hungry or at least do a brisk or leisure walk for 30 min every other day and if i miss my 30 min work out, i will do a 1 hr work out video. Eating before 8 pm helps. I drink water, unsweetned tea and coffee. So i try to lay off sugary foods or sweets and drinks. I also take an appetite suppresant to help being hungry. if you need any other help or suggestions let me know. I just got back on track with my meals and exercise from a week break.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Well if you want to say anything, you could say congratulations.... a morbidly obese person can lose more quickly than someone with 40 lbs to lose.

well, congrats to you then, I didn't mean ill will by it, I guess it just shocked me. Your thumbnail profile pic certainly didn't lead me to believe that you had substantial weight to lose, as you are gorgeous!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I have stuck with the 1200 calories a day, I don't always eat my exercise calories back, I only eat them back when I am hungry. I haven't lost a significant amount, 8 pounds, but I am losing and still losing so hopefully soon it will be a significant amount for me. :)

^^ exactly me! 9.2 pounds and 9 inches in 2 weeks!
  • beesweet57
    Options
    :smile: WOW !! How Inspiring.....I just started and you make me feel like I can do this!!!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories and I have been able to lose. The key is to cook for yourself and make healthier choices and you'll find that 1200 calories is quite a bit of food.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options

well, congrats to you then, I didn't mean ill will by it, I guess it just shocked me. Your thumbnail profile pic certainly didn't lead me to believe that you had substantial weight to lose, as you are gorgeous!

Thanks, I just wasn't sure how to take it. My face doesn't seem to get much of my fat... (I shoudl have a full body pic on my pictures)... my hips/tummy is it. My hips are at 50" right now! ugh lol
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    beesweet57, you can't really expect to lose and maintain weight if you eat only veggies and grains, you have to make sure you're eating proteins and nuts too, honestly cheese and nuts and meat and even oils aren't bad in moderation, you need them.

I've lost over 17 pounds (and I wasn't overweight to start with) by eating anywhere from 1200 to 1800 I always lost. Funny thing is the calories didn't matter as much as what I ate, weeks I ate junk, even 1200 of it, sometimes I still maintained, but weeks I ate that in healthy foods like lean proteins (chicken), veggies and rice I lost a lot more. Don't listen to "cals in, cals out" because type of cals totally matters if you want to maintain your weight eventually and do this right. :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Worked for me too, although I will say it has trained me to eat healthier - I cannot feel satisfied eating chocolate, it MUST be vegetables because you can eat sooo much more.

One chocolate bar is like your whole days calories - so not worth it anymore.

Change sucks but for me, it's for the better.

Have you tried the skinny cow brand? I love their chocolate wafer bars and I believe they are only 110 calories! Another option are simple pleasures by hershey. 180 calories for 6 pieces...I find 3 to be satisfactory. (I admit that I am and will always be a chocoholic! Sigh*)