Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Me! I lost 35lbs. :-)
  • trishbadgett
    Options
    I am starting on 1220 tomorrow MFP had me at 1300. I have lost 19 pounds since Jan and getting really ticked that I have not lost anything since the first of June.

My husband however has lost 74 pounds since Jan. although he did have a lot to lose.

I am very glad we found MFP.

Hope that with this new calorie change I can see some more weight loss. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Day 1 (today) MFP had me at about 1250- with exercising. I did it, with 200 to spare, but realize I entered my weight wrong- fixed it andd now MFP has me at 1300 a day.
    Even though I was under 1200 today, I already am getting a headache that I know from experience is from not enough food, so there is no way coud maintain 1200 very long.
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    bump for later! : )
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have. Works fine for me, I have lots of energy, getting stronger and faster. But since I exercise every day I haven't really had days where i actually only consumed 1200 cals, but my net cals is usually there or below. I aim to eat between 1400 and 1800 a day disregarding my exercise and try to eat what feels right and when I'm hungry.

Edit: and if you look at my diary today I'm over, but I have reached my goal weight and am experimenting a bit to see where I can build more muscle but not gain fat :)
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1200 worked until I started exercising more. I hit a plateau, did some research, used the community here as a sounding board and upped to 1560, no eating back intentionally. Some days it's a lot to eat for me but I eat healthy, more calorie-dense foods to meet my goal. Since, I've broke my plateau by about 5lbs.
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight on such a restricted diet, while they remain on it. Very few are able to reach their goal and maintain their loss with such a plan, as it is too restrictive to last long term. Perhaps you will be the exception, but probably not.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200, don't always eat back my workout calories and I've always ate 1200 since I started this... 108 lbs gone.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am starting on 1220 tomorrow MFP had me at 1300. I have lost 19 pounds since Jan and getting really ticked that I have not lost anything since the first of June.

My husband however has lost 74 pounds since Jan. although he did have a lot to lose.

I am very glad we found MFP.

Hope that with this new calorie change I can see some more weight loss. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

you may need to up your cals and change up your workouts -- i had the same problem and it worked for me! the first few come off easily but then your bod gets used to it and stabilizes. good luck :)
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    It works very well for me (more so than if I were doing 1500 +)

I have lost around 35 lbs so far in the past 1.5 months... and that includes 2 weeks of total cheating.

35 lbs in 6 weeks?? and 2 of those were cheat weeks? That's an average loss of almost 6 lbs/wk without even factoring in the cheat weeks...

Not quite sure what to say about that...

Well if you want to say anything, you could say congratulations.... a morbidly obese person can lose more quickly than someone with 40 lbs to lose.

PS: I'm not morbidly obese anymore just "obese".

well, congrats to you then, I didn't mean ill will by it, I guess it just shocked me. Your thumbnail profile pic certainly didn't lead me to believe that you had substantial weight to lose, as you are gorgeous!
    Next time don't let the face fool you. If you see just my face, there is no way you would think that I was once 280lbs. Romans congratsss my dear on your wt. loss.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds that way, which may not sound like a lot, but it's over 10%of my total body weight, so it's pretty significant. I cannot do it (I mean CANNOT) without exercising and eating back 350-600 calories every day. I just like to eat too much!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight on such a restricted diet, while they remain on it. Very few are able to reach their goal and maintain their loss with such a plan, as it is too restrictive to last long term. Perhaps you will be the exception, but probably not.

I don't agree with you on this one. I am not hungry and eat a lot and still manage to stay within my 1200 net calories.
    But I agree with you if you eat only 1200 and it is bad quality food, you'll probably be hungry a lot of the time and gain the weight you lost again as soon as you're not on a diet anymore.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options

Next time don't let the face fool you. If you see just my face, there is no way you would think that I was once 280lbs. Romans congratsss my dear on your wt. loss.

Thank you! I am now down to about 250. :)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend being on a 1200 calorie diet until the end of your weight loss journey (like the last 10-20 lbs.) and make sure you're getting enough protein. This is what I did and I stuck to it for about 2-3 months by exercising a lot a eating back my exercise calories. Many feel that 1200 calories is too low for most people. I have a very small frame and am not very tall, so I'm in that percentage of people that most would agree can eat that few calories and still be healthy.
  • ThinMint7
    ThinMint7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on Jan. 29th and have lost 20 lbs. on a 1200 calorie diet......it has worked well for me.
  • bets2200
    bets2200 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have, but I have been walking each day for 50 minutes every day and some days I do it twice, so I am sure that has a little something to do with it too.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've lost at that with no significant plateaus.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your activity level and weight loss goals are realistic? I've you've been trying to lose too much too fast, you would feel pretty uncomfortable. I'm set at 1390, with a goal to lose one pound per week. Sometimes I don't get my WHOLE calorie allowance, especially when I burn a lot of calories with exercise. But I feel like I have a cushion in there because my goals are really attainable.

Another thing that helps is finding foods that let you eat more, and more often, like fresh veggies and fruits. Planning meals ahead of time works really well for me.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    did a 1 week with a 1200-1400 diet... and lost 13lbs..
  • Flass
    Flass Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 20lbs on a 1200 calorie diet in the space of about 10 months...but I have also had a LOT of cheat days in there. In fact, these days I go over 1200 just about every day and sometimes a LOT over. But managing to maintain pretty well.

1200 is difficult but not impossible if you plan ahead! Good luck