Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• mellisa28
    mellisa28 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have stuck with the 1200 never ever really going over it and have lost 80Ibs since the beginning of february! I am also on the visalus program and absolutely love it and the 1200 seems perfect for this plan also. Interested in the visalus part, check out my site: http://lavagrl.myvi.net/
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 68 Pounds under 1200 Calories. I do eat my exercise calories back at times. I did however, change my goals for carbs, fats, & proteins. MFP has carbs set to high for me.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have! I don't eat back my exercise cals and eat a lot of food, just not high cal food. A lot of fresh and raw fruits and veggies. Since I started on this site I've lost 21 lbs at 1200 cals a day and 91 lbs total over the past year on a low cal high negative cal food diet with lots of exercise.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lost 20 lbs on 1200 calories, plateaued, upped my calories to 1800-2000 and now loosing again and feeling better.
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds on 1200, then gained a few pounds back in muscle. Some days I'm starving and go over but some days I'm always full and have trouble meeting the recommendation. It took me about a month to get used to it, I think my stomach shrank in response. Then 900 calories was sometimes as high as I could get without feeling uncomfortably full. Your body WILL get used to it! I promise.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 30 lbs in about 4 months on 1200 a day. For me that was significant because I went from 160 lbs at 5'9" to 130.
  • nolabamacutie
    Options
    You guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for all your feedback and especially your success stories! You read so many different things about 1200 being too few calories but I'm finding if I mostly eat lean protein and lots of veggies, it's very doable. Currently, I'm nursing a sore knee for a couple of weeks so I can't exercise so I've been trying to stick pretty closely to the 1200 but I figure once I am able to start exercising again, I will eat back at least some of my exercise calories!! Seriously, y'all put a big smile on my face!! You are all inspirations
  • Sapd975
    Sapd975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Im on my second week ...1200 is very durable but it depends on the individual.. I sometimes eat less and still feel good ..I just need to find time to exercise...
  • leenh78
    leenh78 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, there - I'm on Day 2 of a 1200-calorie diet, with my daily physical activity being 40-45 minutes of walking at a 3.5 mph pace. I'm pushing 34 years old, 5'3" tall, and weigh around 142 lbs. I realize that I'm only slightly over the "normal" weight for my height, but I was attracted to this diet because I could lose weight gradually (it touts 1 lb/week) and eat somewhat freely as long as I counted the calories and made smart choices.

Anyway, my question is whether or not I should've introduced this diet gradually rather than throwing myself into it full-force. I was consuming far more calories before (some days, over 2,200); my fiance is an incredibly picky eater who won't eat anything but junk, so I was catering to his likes rather than acting as a short-order cook and preparing separate meals. Also, with my daily walking routine, I'm hoping that I don't get sopped of energy. Would 1,500 calories have been a better choice for me?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello, there - I'm on Day 2 of a 1200-calorie diet, with my daily physical activity being 40-45 minutes of walking at a 3.5 mph pace. I'm pushing 34 years old, 5'3" tall, and weigh around 142 lbs. I realize that I'm only slightly over the "normal" weight for my height, but I was attracted to this diet because I could lose weight gradually (it touts 1 lb/week) and eat somewhat freely as long as I counted the calories and made smart choices.

Anyway, my question is whether or not I should've introduced this diet gradually rather than throwing myself into it full-force. I was consuming far more calories before (some days, over 2,200); my fiance is an incredibly picky eater who won't eat anything but junk, so I was catering to his likes rather than acting as a short-order cook and preparing separate meals. Also, with my daily walking routine, I'm hoping that I don't get sopped of energy. Would 1,500 calories have been a better choice for me?

So you know you were eating at about 2000 on avg?

So have very little to lose.

Why not take a reasonable deficit and eat 1500?

You know it's less than what maintained you.

And if you are exercising now and you didn't before, you could eat even more and still keep that reasonable deficit. Though fact is that would be 1lb week anyway.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight eating between 1200 and 1400 cal a day, but I'm short and my bmr is around 1325 and TDEE 1580
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    MFP has got me on 1200 calories set to sedentary, so I add all exercise I do to that and for the most part I do eat those back. I've lost weight like that in the past and I do think the more realistic your diet is as a lifestyle, the less likely you are to gain the weight back. I have gained some of the weight back that I lost last time I was dieting but not nearly all of it. Having said that I'm quite happy for it to take longer, I guess if I was losing for my wedding or some special event I would probably want to go a bit harder at it.
  • torskeina
    torskeina Posts: 1
    Options
    I JUST STARTED TWO WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE LOST 7LB. SO TIME IS STILL HUNGRY BUT I JUST DRINK A GLASS OF WATER....HOPE THIS HELPS.
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 1200 cals until I am no longer obese my BMI is 31.8 right now, doing the low cal to get a kick start, some fast results if you like to keep me motivated , then doing 1500 cals until my goal and that includes eating back exercise cals.
  • beesweet57
    Options
    featheryowls,
    Gracious. I must have typed something in wrong! I eat chicken and fish every day, occasional eggs, cheese, lots of green veggies, and Hass avocados. My only grains are at breakfast, oatmeal most days but sometimes Ezekiel bread. Think I will stop the bread though, cause even though it is in the refrigerator I think it is going to petrify before I eat the whole loaf and I don't like bread from the freezer. Just prefer the oatmeal. I pretty much follow, Bob Harper's Skinny Rules, which I purchased a few week ago, but I don't eat berries and apples every day. I am not a fruit person. I eat prunes in my oatmeal for the potassium and make my oatmeal with skim milk for the calcium, D and potassium. I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and love that Bob says to take a splurge meal once a week. But even with that I am splurging with my favorite salad which has smoked cheddar, toasted pecans, craisins, grilled chicken, romaine lettuce and buttermilk dressing. I think I eat a dishpan full.
  • jennituck23
    jennituck23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on this diet for 36 days now and I have only lost 1lb. I'm getting discouraged I only have 20 lbs to lose. How long should I give this diet a chance to work.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth... I was able to lose 140 lbs in 7 months with a strict 1200 - 1300 calorie diet. The key is consistancy. Don't falter and you'll reach your goals. Weigh everything with a food scale and if you plan on "eating back exercise calories" make sure you have top-notch equipment to measure your burns by. Otherwise you'll under estimate your food and over estimate your burns and end up not loosing and then wonder why.

Just my opinion.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I just started three weeks ago with the 1200 calorie thing. Seems to be going slow and I toy with increasing calories and throwing in exercise.

I find broiled fish and a vegetable for dinner keeps me within my calories. And eating the same thing for breakfast helps too. That leaves lunch as the loose cannon. I usually do a salad filled with all sorts of vegetables and a lean protein.

also..google.."the lowest calorie foods" ..and the list is helpful.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i was eating over 1500 - 1600 a day before and my weight loss was slow.. now that i've lowered my calories to 1200/1300ish, i seem to be losing weight more steadily.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 110 lbs on 1200 calories plus lower carb.

same here .. but 96 so far.