COFFEE LOVERS - Anyone given it up?

Options
I love love love coffee but I know I should probably cut it out of my diet. I only drink 2 cups max per day, but would like to try cutting it out altogether. My questions to you are:

1. Have you had any benefits from cutting it out?
2. Are there any good replacements?

Thanks guys xx

Replies

• MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have cut down alot but I do love my coffee. I now have it with 1% fat milk and 1 sweetener and only have around 2-5 cups a day.
    Rest of the day i tend to drink water or fruit teas x
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have not given it up, but I have cut it down. I've read that 1 or 2 cups a day is good for you, so I am going with that. =)
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't give up my morning coffee, but I only have one cup and then the rest of the day I have tea and water.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    2 cups every morning. I dread winter because when it gets cold we keep a pot on all day long. Don't think that's going to work with my french vanilla creamer. Anyone know of a good low cal creamer that tastes good? I drink sugar free now.
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee but I'm also thinking about cutting it down to my weekend rest day only as I've been reading about how it can stop your absorption of vitamins :(

I did speak to a nutritionist a few weeks ago who said that a good quality, non-chemically decaffeinated (water method) coffee is pretty much fine though, especially taken after a meal and not on an empty stomach.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    switched to black no sugar or with sweetner, resumed caffeine addiction.
  • bubmaster
    bubmaster Posts: 90
    Options
    I have 2/3 black coffees a day,I will never give it up.
  • Kim_BUFF_Fox
    Options
    Hmmm ok maybe I will swtich to having it black or organic decaff. I think it's more of a habit rather than something I actually need...

Have to admit that I am also a huge starbucks fan :S not so good on the wallet! x
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    I used to drink 11 x cups of coffee a day, white with 2 sugars.

Since MFP, I have cut down to 3 x cups, black no sugar - why only three ? cos it tastes disgusting !
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I switched to decaf a few years ago and found my energy levels even out for the first time in year. I sleep solidly and now feel refreshed.

I don't drink much decaf either, instead I mainly drink water.

None of this appears to have had an effect on my weight, but I'm certainly happy I did it.
  • Kim_BUFF_Fox
    Options
    I used to drink 11 x cups of coffee a day, white with 2 sugars.

Since MFP, I have cut down to 3 x cups, black no sugar - why only three ? cos it tastes disgusting !

Hahaha that's amazing that you managed 11 cups before - I would have been buzzing off my face on that much!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to give up coffee? Are there good nutritional/health reasons, or is this part of the diet-deprivation mindset? If you drink double-caramel lattes with whipped cream, I would definitely look at ways to cut down on added sugars and fats, and learn to love real, unadulterated coffee - my personal preference is for a proper espresso. Otherwise, if you're drinking a couple of good-quality coffees a day, as well as plenty of other liquids, I'm struggling to think of reasons why it would need to go.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 3 cups a day, with sweetner and skimmed milk (sometimes soya!).
    rest of time i drink water.
  • AllisonB145
    AllisonB145 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee way to much to give it up. I did cut back to 1 coffee per day with 1 tsp sugar and 1% milk. Eventually I might drink it black....we'll see. ugh
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you love coffee, then why give it up ....... if you are using cream or sugar look at cutting back on that, but personally I just work it into my calories for the day.....

I drink a cup (or two) of coffee every day, and still managed to lose 125 lbs......
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why give it up if you love it? Just stop pouring fat and sugar into it and enjoy the flavor of the coffee.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I can't give up coffee. I drink like 3 cups when I get to work at 6pm and then I drink 2 more at about 1am. With Sweet N Low and heavy whipping cream. I also bought sugar free syrups to flavor it too.
  • Kim_BUFF_Fox
    Options
    Why do you think you need to give up coffee? Are there good nutritional/health reasons, or is this part of the diet-deprivation mindset? If you drink double-caramel lattes with whipped cream, I would definitely look at ways to cut down on added sugars and fats, and learn to love real, unadulterated coffee - my personal preference is for a proper espresso. Otherwise, if you're drinking a couple of good-quality coffees a day, as well as plenty of other liquids, I'm struggling to think of reasons why it would need to go.

I just never used to drink it before and I wonder if it's something I actually need in my diet. However, you've made a pretty valid point with the things you say so I am considering switching to a better quality coffee and just ditching the Starbucks I drink (yes - totally guilty of indulging in these and the nutritional values for them are awful!)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    No I haven't and don't intend to. I enjoy every single cup . Have lost 42 pounds :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Nope, never! I have switched from flavored cream to almond milk and raw sugar....but otherwise :noway: