COFFEE LOVERS - Anyone given it up?

Options

Replies

• PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There is no need to give it up unless you have problems with caffeine. I'm not giving mine up! I use semi skimmed milk (or drink it black) and stevia. Yum!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I reduced my intake down to 4 ounces mixed with half hot water, no sugar and non dairy creamer. I only drink it once a day with my morning snack - I find that the small amount of caffeine kicks starts me through the morning at work.
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cut down from 5 cups a day to 1/2

Have it with sweetener instead of sugar

Rest of the day I drink green tea or water

xx
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Check my user name, do you think I've given it up? ;-)
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I quit all forms of caffeine for 3 years and in that time never had a cold or any other type of illness. Might have been a coinceidence but I was a total sick note before.

I used to drink water and herbal teas. These days I drink the same plus decaff coffee.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar and cream. Black coffee is so good, but I had to do it slowly, first less sugar (for about a month) and then no sugar, for a couple of months. Then, I tried it black one day and loved it.
  • josemac111
    Options
    i cant give up......
  • AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    I gave it up, changed to tea!
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    Coffee is the first thing I log every morning. I love it. I've been trying to decrease the cream. I would love to be able to drink it black but I just can't seem to get there.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used like a cup about an hour after i got out of bed. I didn't deliberately give it up but since I changed my diet and exercise I just seemed to have lost interest in it. I haven't give it up as such but have it rarely now.
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    Why do you think you need to give up coffee? Are there good nutritional/health reasons, or is this part of the diet-deprivation mindset? If you drink double-caramel lattes with whipped cream, I would definitely look at ways to cut down on added sugars and fats, and learn to love real, unadulterated coffee - my personal preference is for a proper espresso. Otherwise, if you're drinking a couple of good-quality coffees a day, as well as plenty of other liquids, I'm struggling to think of reasons why it would need to go.

Absolutely agree with this, if you have good coffee black or with little milk there is no problem with it. In fact there have been a few benefits reported [JFGI]. It only becomes a problem when you are using it as a replacement for other fluids or loading it full of sugars. Enjoy it.
  • pollybluegirl
    Options
    i've cut back to only 2 cups in the morning, with sugar & milk (much less sugar than i used to use & milk instead of 1/2 & 1/2) & then i switch to tea ... i think it is making a difference ... i want my morning coffee, but it was 1. screwing up my gut 2. giving me heart burn 3. making my ears ring 4. didn't want the sugar 5. i don't put sugar or milk in my tea, so tea is a better option for me
  • cheeryel
    cheeryel Posts: 20
    Options
    Never gave it up.
    I have either black coffee usually, or my local coffee.
    Treat myself to an occasional latte/cappucino.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I gave it up once for about six months. It went badly. I drink it mostly black, now. Some days, I'll add a little soy milk, but that's about it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Blasphemy, Isn't it bad enough that we have to count every calorie and eat micro portions of things we love? That we must sweat and drink water? that we workout and run on a hamster wheel like a gerbil? I have stopped using creamer and sugar but I will give up coffee when I am Six feet under.
  • thatdude3
    thatdude3 Posts: 33
    Options
    I drink pots of coffee every day, why give it up? The coffee itself doesn't really have calories in it, it is typically everything you add to it. Of course there is a downside to drinking both a lot of water and a lot of coffee ....... you will find yourself in the bathroom a lot.
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like coffee. There have been a lot of studies on its benefits and detriments. The benefits are winning. In my opinion, "You can't be too rich, too thin, or drink too much coffee." Oh, and if it does not have caffeine, it doesn't pay to drink it.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I would rather chop off my arm. No, really. No negative effects he-e-e-eee-eerr-rrre.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I tried cutting back, even switched to 1/2 decaf... Only lasted about a month. I make lattes at home in the winter, but for the summer...

2 cups of black Sumatra with sugar free vanilla OR 4oz espresso with sugar free vanilla

Today,is a Sumatra day. :)
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Coffee really isn't so horrible for you, dependent upon what you add to it. I only use ~ 1/2 T of creamer. Currently using the So Delicious French Vanilla creamer. It's non dairy. I'd suggest slowly decreasing the amount of sugar and cream you add to your coffee and your taste buds will adjust. I find that just a bit of creamer makes the coffee tolerable without any sweeteners. Try not to get creamers loaded with artificial stuff. The less ingredients listed, the better!