COFFEE LOVERS - Anyone given it up?

Options

Replies

• BetterWithAge
    Options
    Blasphemy, Isn't it bad enough that we have to count every calorie and eat micro portions of things we love? That we must sweat and drink water? that we workout and run on a hamster wheel like a gerbil? I have stopped using creamer and sugar but I will give up coffee when I am Six feet under.

Thank YOU !!
  • NettyIOM
    NettyIOM Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to drink between 10-15 cups of coffee a day!

I completely cut if off about two month's ago and feel so much better for it. It took me about two weeks to get over the caffeine withdrawal symptoms (thankfully my colleagues thought my grumpiness was hilarious), but it was worth it.

Now, if I want a hot drink, I tend to have decaffeinated herbal or fruity teas. Favourite at the moment is Cranberry, Raspberry & Elderflower made by Twinings.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Blasphemy, Isn't it bad enough that we have to count every calorie and eat micro portions of things we love? That we must sweat and drink water? that we workout and run on a hamster wheel like a gerbil? I have stopped using creamer and sugar but I will give up coffee when I am Six feet under.

Thank YOU !!

Hear hear!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Screw it, I'm digging out my - possibly moldy - herbal teas. Its about time i kicked the sugar fix in the decaff I get every hour.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Why give it up if you love it? Just stop pouring fat and sugar into it and enjoy the flavor of the coffee.

What he said.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    I actually own a coffee shop. I see people all the time who want to cut down or give up. the problem is not the coffee, its what you put in it. If you are putting in sugar and syrup and cream and chocolate and then have skim milk.... sigh. Everything in moderation people. If you are really worried and a real coffee lover, simple, drink espresso.
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love it, just 2 cups in the morning, but I have switched to agave sweetner, and almond milk in it, rather than flavored sweetners or sugar an milk. And I try to stay away from places like starbucks! I just keep it a little healthier!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks to acid reflux, I may have to very soon... but it will be tough. I've tried doing black teas (pretty damn potent as far as the caffeine is concerned, so it may not be as bad as I'd think. Especially with some of the blends at ArtofTea.com or Teavana.com.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    ifeelsqueaky Posts: 193
    Options
    If you do decide to give it up, don't whatever you do go cold turkey. It's hell. I now drink 2 cups of strong coffee a day but I used to drink far more and decided to go cold turkey - I had sweats, leg cramps, migraines, dizzy spells and more. It was like coming off some kind of hardcore drug! So yes, if you decide to give it up, please do it slowly and spare yourself the misery...
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hell no!

I don't drink much, (or at all actually any more). I don't smoke. I don't have an Imelda Marcos shoe collection. I have no other vices. I refuse point blank to give up my morning coffee. But I use sweetener and low fat milk, so I really don't think I need to. Gods I love my coffee!!!!

As a little aside, I just did some research for those drinking tea, and according to what I found:

Instant coffee has between 60 and 90 mg caffeine per 8oz serve
    Perc/plunger has between 80 and 135 mg
    Black tea has between 40 and 120, and
    Green tea (herbal) has around 59 mg caffeine per serve.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    No way would i give up!! I <3 my coffee and would go insane without it. I drink 2 - 3 cups a day and have lost successfully. I can understand if you had to give up sugar but why coffee? I usually have it with soya milk and no sugar. Just don't put any sweet stuff in it!
  • NicoleR1980
    NicoleR1980 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    NO i will not give it up! however i have stopped using splenda and creamer!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Black coffee and black/green/plain tea are good for you. I don't think you should give them up.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    only on the weekends.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Won't give it up. Did manage to cut out all of the Pepsi products though (except for special occasions).
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I tired cutting it out and switched to green tea. It worked for a while, until the smell of coffee got me one day. I don't drink more 2 cups a day myself. So don't give it up becuase you think you need to scale back. 2 cups is nothing compared to some peoples whole pots.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I could never give up coffee!

I only drink about 3 cups per day though, with non-fat milk and no sugar, so I don't see why I should give it up completely :) I have switched from drinking coffee all day long (I used to drink 7-9 cups per day!!), to drinking tea after 3pm :)
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Its not about giving up... it's more about cutting what yo put in it. If you put 3 cream 3 sugars, cut to 2 milk 2% and 2 sugars or 1 sweetener.
    I have my saying that you have to go slow and begin somewhere, eventhough I am sometimes drastic with myself..
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    I will never ever ever ever EVER give it up. I drink 2 to 3 cups a day. It’s not a lot, but I can't live without it.

Giving up coffee, especially in the morning, might get really nasty… :)
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nope, not giving up my morning cuppa. I do carefully measure out creamer and use either Splenda or Truvia. Rest of the day is usually water with maybe a coke zero thrown in the mix.