butter vs margarine?

Options

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Butter - except now I have a tiny 5g knob, not a big thick slab like I used to. I reckon I know how butter is made - cream from milk from cows, beaten with salt (the cream not the cows)!!. Margarine - I can't spell the ingredients and additives!

Olive oil too. I've not tried coconut oil, that might be interesting :-)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    ORGANIC Butter. It's not that much more expensive. After learning about margarine I can't believe I ever ate that crap.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Here is a little experiment for you to try then make up your mind.

Put a tub of butter and a tub of margarine out on your deck. She which the flies eat. Then you eat the same as them. (no, not from that tub...you get a new tub.)

Now, take the tub of margarine, put the top on it and bring it back to the store and tell them if a fly won't eat it you probably shouldn't either.

A fly also eats sh1t. Moving on . . .
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    Butter makes it better. Not to be confused with bacon makes it better.
  • lorriemac2000
    Options
    Butter most definitely BUT, I whip 1 cup of canola oil into 1 lb of butter- much healthier, & I now prefer the taste.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I use light butter or olive oil spread. I dont think you can buy margarine in the uk anymore.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    There should be no question! Butter is better than margarine.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Olive oil for stove top.
    Canola oil cooking spray for oven.
    Butter and butter spreads (butter + olive oil) for almost everything else.
    Shortening for cookies or recipes that specifically call for shortening.

Honestly, I have margarine tucked away in my freezer for holiday cookie making.

This is my kitchen, too. Spreadable butter is super easy to whip up, and you need way less because it tastes so much better. :)
  • msdidlydingo
    msdidlydingo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: Butter in moderation
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold Butter or Coconut oil.
  • Elle_45
    Elle_45 Posts: 43
    Options
    Butter. I saw a post one time that said margarine is one molecule away from plastic. Not sure how true that is.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Butter.

I used to use margarine thinking it was better for you because it has less fat/calories, but then i learned what it really is and i switched back to butter. besides, butter is only like 30 calories more than margarine, and tastes sooo much better. worth it.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Butter. I saw a post one time that said margarine is one molecule away from plastic. Not sure how true that is.

I think I once saw a TV show that said human DNA is about 93% the same as a starfish.
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options

I think I once saw a TV show that said human DNA is about 93% the same as a starfish.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the genetic resemblance between men and chimpanzees is closer than between men and women :-)

OK, back on topic now...
  • Lucille51
    Lucille51 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    butter! it just tastes soooo good, especially late at night if I'm having a toast fest! also use olive oil spread sometimes
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lurpak lighter is delicious, and is always soft and melty for fresh bread. It's a butter blend so it's fewer calories. Marge and olive spread are a waste of calories IMHO as they taste so nasty.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I want to move to a CLEAN / HEALTHY choice for the family. What do you use and why?
    THANKS!! :smile:

Butter and I try my best to purchase grass fed raw butter when I can find it. It is made by the local Amish community and sells out really fast at my local farmers market.
  • pslappe
    pslappe Posts: 2
    Options
    I spoke with the dietician about this in length. If you are going to use something she recommends that you use butter all the way! Margarine is full of chemicals and butter has never been proven to be harmful to you per a Harvard study that was performed. So in saying this butter all the way. Of course everything is used in moderation and not over due it! :drinker: :wink:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I cook in 100% animal fat (Supafry, awesome stuff) and use butter for the family's spread.

Margarine? I'd rather eat man juice.
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    I use butter because it is real, not some overly processed chemicals. I made this change a few years ago, after deciding I should only eat real food that is as close to what it is at the source. When my doctor was telling me to eat low carb this Spring, he said eat healthy fats, butter and olive oil. Basically he said I could eat whatever I want if I stay away from carbs. He said to stay away from margarine and vegetable oil since the way they are processed makes them really bad for you. Your body needs fat and your brain is mostly fat. If you re-program your body to burn fat instead of carbs, the fat won't make you fat, within reason.