• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Butter for bread/baking/potatoes, etc
    Coconut oil/hemp oil/peanut oil for cooking
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use Kerrygold Irish Butter. I only use it to cook my morning eggs. The block I bought is going to last me forever.

I hate, hate olive oil. When I cook, it's butter or canola oil for me.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Mostly butter. Except that sometimes when baking certain recipes you really need to use margarine or they just don't come out right!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I use butter because it is real, not some overly processed chemicals. I made this change a few years ago, after deciding I should only eat real food that is as close to what it is at the source. When my doctor was telling me to eat low carb this Spring, he said eat healthy fats, butter and olive oil. Basically he said I could eat whatever I want if I stay away from carbs. He said to stay away from margarine and vegetable oil since the way they are processed makes them really bad for you. Your body needs fat and your brain is mostly fat. If you re-program your body to burn fat instead of carbs, the fat won't make you fat, within reason.

A real doctor encouraged this? This might just restore my faith in the medical profession ... :)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Butter. Or olive oil. Hydrogenated corn oil aka margarine is bad for you.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Neither since I'm vegan. I do use Earth Balance vegan "buttery sticks" on occasion when baking. But butter/margarine has really never had much of a place in my diet otherwise. My fat of choice is olive oil.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Butter or olive oil. Margarine = Blech!!!