PSA: Muscles do not weigh more than fat.

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

No effing *kitten*, Sherlock....

If I see another thread that addresses this highly inexcusable source of confusion, I'm going to scream.

:explode: :explode: :explode:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

If I see another thread that addresses this highly inexcusable source of confusion, I'm going to scream.

Not only is another thread on this topic possible, but also it is very likely. In fact, I would say that it is inevitable.

(Makes note in calendar...August 1, 2012...start MFP forum thread on relative weights of muscle and fat. Use the following as examples: dog poop, feathers, boats, aluminum foil, chunks of iron, buoyant humans in various positions, etc.)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

The remedial math kids thank you for this.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I do so enjoy these threads. Keep up the good work everybody.

:happy:
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    1318149088747.gif
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    Oh just shut up like we haven't had this thread 100 times before. Are you being supportive! No. Are you teaching us something new? No.

Sort it out people this is a support forum.

*rolls eyes*

There are plenty of people on MFP that do not readily understand the saying "Muscle weighs more than fat"... it seems to me that the OP was stating it in such a way that those individuals could grasp the concept. I actually think it's important for everyone to understand that even though you may weigh the same you are still progressing because muscle IS heavier than fat proportionally. People should try (self included) not to focus so much on the scale but look at their measurements, notice how clothing is fitting and how much their strength and stamina has improved.
    For me, I like the reminder to keep going even though my scale hasn't budged in a week and a half.
    Why tell the OP to shut up, why is this so offensive?? I keep reading forums and wishing I hadn't because no matter what the thread is, people attack the OP and plaster the boards with negativity.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And if it was true that *everyone* truly understands this...

...we probably wouldn't already be on page 8.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You could state it thus: Muscle does not weigh more than fat by weight

Of course, that is silly and so is the need to pretend that people aren't implying "by volume".
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Not only is another thread on this topic possible, but also it is very likely. In fact, I would say that it is inevitable.

(Makes note in calendar...August 1, 2012...start MFP forum thread on relative weights of muscle and fat. Use the following as examples: dog poop, feathers, boats, aluminum foil, chunks of iron, buoyant humans in various positions, etc.)

I've seen at least 4 threads started on the same exact topic in the past 2 months, with only one of them being an intentional troll. It's very annoying! Forum guidelines DO suggest searching the forums for an answer (or topic) before posting a similar--or in this case, identical--topic.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha I love this post.
  • jullienb
    jullienb Posts: 8
    Options
    I have found my new favorite thread!! HAHAHAHA my day has been blessed since I read this. Sarcasm is rampant, people are getting upset, serious debate is happening, and I get to enjoy it all!! I think the calories burned while scrolling all 8 pages was well worth it!!

(I wonder if we can get another 8 pages out of this thread? I Double Dog Dare You!)
  • Abays10
    Abays10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Takes me back to my first message board debate... copy paper and dumb bells :) Great memories!
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Uh, no, the muscle is denser and so has less volume, meaning it will sink, where as the fat has a lower density and more volume and so will float...

Um, a pound of MUSCLE does weigh MORE than a pound of FAT.

If you put a pound of fat and a pound of muscle in water, only the muscle is going to sink because it's HEAVIER.

It's simple psychics, asimov's second law of motion. duh.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you put a pound of fat and a pound of muscle in water, only the muscle is going to sink because it's HEAVIER.

No way, somebody really just typed that???

So if I lie down in the water and somebody drops an aircraft carrier in the water next to me the aircraft carrier will sink faster than me because it's heavier than me right???
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

If no one had it yet, hopefully they got it now

DENSE everyone, get it :laugh:

a pound is a pound is a pound no matter how you weigh it. Just the space it takes up varies pending on the object. A pound of feathers take up more space than a pound of muscle.

I still don't get it. Could someone please explain it one more time but without all of the big complicated sciency words?

Eh, I'm probably just being DENSE. <-- :wink:
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

No way, somebody really just typed that???

So if I lie down in the water and somebody drops an aircraft carrier in the water next to me the aircraft carrier will sink faster than me because it's heavier than me right???

By George! I do believe you've got it. :glasses:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Uh, no, once again confusing density with mass, it sinks because it is denser.
    Um, a pound of MUSCLE does weigh MORE than a pound of FAT.

It's simple psychics, asimov's second law of motion. duh.

C'mon, man, keep up.

That post is sooooo five pages ago. We've since moved on to boats with various hull designs and balls of crumpled aluminum foil.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to use sarcasm tags. 4 obvious tells and a veiled monty python reference are not enough.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I have found my new favorite thread!! HAHAHAHA my day has been blessed since I read this. Sarcasm is rampant, people are getting upset, serious debate is happening, and I get to enjoy it all!! I think the calories burned while scrolling all 8 pages was well worth it!!

(I wonder if we can get another 8 pages out of this thread? I Double Dog Dare You!)

I think we can do it.

Meanwhile, that's a nice looking largemouth bass you have there.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm going to have to use sarcasm tags. 4 obvious tells and a veiled monty python reference are not enough.

No, please don't do that. Detecting sarcasm is a skill learned through practice. If you give it to them, they'll never get it.

You know, that old teach a man to fish thing...